Pegity» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A minute to learn… about an hour before ennui sets in! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
The pegs are great for repurposing as DIY game bits. Flip them over -- they stand on their thick end. I have two sets of Pegity, one with the colors you show, and one with a very appealing mixture of natural, orange, black, and grey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
ha, you are obviously playing this game without the extensive errata that was published thru the 50's 60's and 70's Pete. Not only did it make it more interesting, it turned into Tactics II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If the rules to this game are simply "players take turns placing pegs until one of them makes a row of 5", then this is a naive attempt at creating a 5-in-a-row game. It is now known that the first player has a huge advantage, as you observed. More balanced 5-in-a-row games do exist. Go-Moku adds a simple swap option for player two on his/her second turn. Renju balances the game by placing restrictions on what the start (black) player can do. Pente and Keryo-Pente make the game more interesting by adding capturing, and a second win condition of capturing a certain number of opponent's stones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
If the rules to this game are simply "players take turns placing pegs until one of them makes a row of 5", then this is a naive attempt at creating a 5-in-a-row game. It is now known that the first player has a huge advantage, as you observed. More balanced 5-in-a-row games do exist. Go-Moku adds a simple swap option for player two on his/her second turn. Renju balances the game by placing restrictions on what the start (black) player can do. Pente and Keryo-Pente make the game more interesting by adding capturing, and a second win condition of capturing a certain number of opponent's stones.

You forgot perhaps the most elegant of the balanced N-in-a-row games: Connect6

Also, I've been trying to design a good, balanced N-in-a-row game lately, which is less tactical and more strategic than the games listed above. I've got one which *may* be a success. If you try I'd love feedback. Here are the rules:

http://nickbentley.posterous.com/more-morro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
ha, you are obviously playing this game without the extensive errata that was published thru the 50's 60's and 70's Pete. Not only did it make it more interesting, it turned into Tactics II

Link, or it didn't happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Madrey

Virginia
msg tools
Between 3-4 players, If played with the restriction rules of Renju(no 3x3 or 4x4 intersecting lines & no over 5 pegs in a row), Pegity actually gets pretty deep- because at the same time you must block all other opponents forming 3 lines to prevent the deadly "check" of 4 in a row. All at the same time trying to build 5 in a row yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls