Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Ardennes '44 (GMT) or Bitter Woods (L2 DG)?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Incredible but true, I do not own a bulge game yet and want to purchase one.
I shortlisted two but I'm not sure what would be the best buy.
Any thoughts / advise on this? Other decent suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Harro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooooo! Why do you insist on only getting one!

Those are my favorites so far, although my early play of Iron Tide is fun, too. However, I already am sure I wouldn't choose IT over the two you're looking at (and IT is very, very overpriced).

It depends on whether you're playing solitaire (which I think would favor A'44), playing with grognards (which would slightly favor A'44), or might be playing with people more into lower-complexity games (definitely favors DBW), and are limited in how much time you have available (again favors DBW).

I like A'44 more but will probably end up playing DBW more often because of playtime requirements and because it is more suitable for a wider group of gamers (in terms of complexity). A'44 isn't really that complex (look at the posted rules on GMT's site), but it's complex enough to reduce the number of people I can play it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Don't know if this is helpful as I have only played A44

I'm not a bulge fan and only bought this game because a friend was selling it cheap and I thought what the hell. Anyway I'm very glad I bought it as it's an excellent game and if I had ended up paying full price for it I would still think I got a good deal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like A44 more. To me it is sleek and slick. It is very intuitve and fun to play. For me it has just the right amount of chrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
For simplicity and fun, Tigers in the Mist by GMT if you can find it.ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Tide is also available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of Bulge games (and I used to have even more), and if I had to choose between those two I'd probably go with Ardennes '44. But! Of all the Bulge games I have, the one I keep going back to is Tigers in the Mist (I was an early adopter--I still have one of Ray Freeman's self-published versions). I wouldn't call it a Detailed Historical Treatment, but it's the one I have the most fun playing, and I get more than a whiff of the battle from it.

(I should post a picture of the desktop-published version of Tigers in the Mist. Show everyone what old-school TitM looks like...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Christiansen
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By now, I presume you've made a choice.

Assuming you haven't though, I have some... cough cough cough... 27 different titles on the bulge at this point. Yeah, it's an addiction, what can I say. Just let me stand on the soapbox and say it: "Yes, my name is Gary Christiansen and I'm a Bulge game Addict."

That said. The top two games to pick from in my book are Ardennes '44 and Bitter Woods 4th edition, with the two next immediately behind being Iron Tide: Panzers in the Ardennes & then the SPI or TSR editions of Battles for the Ardennes.

Given a choice of the above 4 to go with, I'd say go with Bitter Woods even though I personally think Ardennes '44 is somewhat better. Why? Because A'44 stops at the high point of the battle before the US counterattack gets started, yet DBW (Deluxe Bitter Woods) can go into January, giving you a lot more gaming time overall. It's really hard not to say get all 4.

There is one end all be all super Bulge title now, Wacht Am Rhein II, but it's not for everyone, being company/battalion level and complex, a 4 map monster that may well leave you completely lost if you're not really used to detailed monster games. I love it, but it's not for everyone.

There are a lot more games, not bad, in the pantheon of Bulge titles, but that's the leaders of the pack, and the rest are fine but just not as high in the category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.