United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a really bizarre game of Pizarro & Co. during our weeknight gaming session last night.

I had only played the game once before and it had been awhile, so my buddies gave me a refresher before we started.

So what was bizarre about the game? First off, all the Columbus cards ended up at the bottom of the deck - they were the last three cards revealed. Two of the Magellans were the first ones and Larry snapped them both up. I ended up taking the third a few cards later... and then won a Cook... and then the second. When the third Cook came up for grabs, for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to take it too, since I already was going to play with my hand up pretty much I figured that I should lock up the category.

However, not being an experienced player I hadn't considered the ramifications of buying into so many auctions that didn't provide cards as a benefit. So my opponents pointed out that my actions had pretty much predetermined the rest of my actions for the game. I just had to pay one card each round when the Cook cards came up, and then lost the second Magellan round due to having only a few piddly cards, and that was it. I watched as Mike and James paid huge amounts of cards for Vasco de Gama and all three of them fought out the rest of the game.

And then we counted the score... I ended up with 45 points, Larry 43, Mike and James 38 and 39 IIRC.

?????

I was convinced I'd imploded, and the game really ended up playing itself, but I still won. Does that mean the game is broken?

Honestly, despite winning, I think I prefer a more active game - so I won't try that strategy again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, every once in a while we've ended up with games where someone's decisions are done after round 1. Since it's a short game, I don't really mind this. It's interesting seeing how these extreme strategies fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Last couple of times I've played it has not been just one person, but really the whole game. Each of the six explorers, or maybe just five of them, was owned by a single person who then just went through the mechanical process of cashing them in during Phase II and Phase III.

Seems to me that it is in each player's interest to focus on a given explorer rather than having to prepare for fights in the later two phases. And it also seems to me that this kind of ruins what I had previously felt to be the best pure auction game out there.

Would be happy to hear I have misanalyzed this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Last couple of times I've played it has not been just one person, but really the whole game. Each of the six explorers, or maybe just five of them, was owned by a single person who then just went through the mechanical process of cashing them in during Phase II and Phase III.

Seems to me that it is in each player's interest to focus on a given explorer rather than having to prepare for fights in the later two phases. And it also seems to me that this kind of ruins what I had previously felt to be the best pure auction game out there.

Would be happy to hear I have misanalyzed this.

I don't believe that the explorers are of equal value, so doing this is only in the interest of the person who has the most valuable explorer. I have ended up going the Cook-centric route at least once and got my head handed to me, so it defintiely is not a guaranteed victory.

The key to the game is to get the most valuable mix of explorers at the optimal cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.