Phil
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peacmyer has already created a geeklist heralding this legendary estate sale, but I had to chime in and tell my own tale, since I doubt I'll see anything like that again.

I've been going to Wargames West (in Albuquerque, NM) since the mid-1980s. Not for wargames, but for role-playing games. However, over the past three or four years I've gotten much more into boardgaming and wargaming. So I get a flyer from them (they're now called Active Imagination) about a "Board & Strategy" game sale. Blah, blah, "once every 25 years or so a collection comes along like this"... blah, blah... "you're one of our favorite customers, please check it out before we sell it to the public"... blah, blah. I'm very skeptical. It's not like they'll have something like Hannibal! Even if they do, it'll be like $200!

Anyway, I have a sense of loyalty to them, so I figure I should at least check it out. I call up a friend as well, just in the off chance they have something good (he wouldn't forgive me if they did). We show up a little bit early, there's a very small group out front already. Glenn (the owner... a really nice guy) is going on about how it's the estate sale for a naval commander who died. I guess he was more into the simulation aspect of gaming. Anyway, he continues, "we have the original version of Diplomacy and Axis & Allies." Yeah, okay, what I thought. So they have some old stuff, but I'm not so much a collector as a player. I really could care less about the original Diplomacy. Some people might have been incredibly interested, but it's just not up my alley to collect strictly for collecting. I like to play, damn it!

So, he was an impressive naval commander. Glenn continues... "so, there are like 1500 or 2000 games inside." Wha? A glimmer of hope starts. I wonder if I'll even recognize any of them? So I've played "Wilderness War" and "War of the Ring" a few times, but a grognard I am not. I turn to my friend... "so, if they have Hannibal, snag me a copy!"

The doors open. We're at the back of the line, and mosey in at a leisurely pace. My friend separates and heads for the back. I find an open spot and kneel down, going quickly through the titles. My eyes instantly hit Avalon Hill's "Dune" and "Advanced Civilization" right next to each other!!! Each mint and unpunched! Each about $30! Then I started going at a quicker pace. Ironically, I passed a over a few items that way, but whatever. "Beyond:Normandy"... that rings a bell. Mint, unpunched, $30. Followed by Avalon Hill's "For the People", "Storm over Arnhem", "Panzer Leader", and "Tactics II". All mint, unpunched. I am now a very happy camper. Granted, "Panzer Leader" isn't going to turn any heads... but just to have a mint copy was too much to pass up.

That's when my friend comes around the corner with "Hannibal" and "Peloponnesian War". Both new in shrink. They're unmarked. I assume they'll be costly. He does too. I begin the begging... "but, but, without me, you wouldn't have come!!!" He relents quickly, "yeah, yeah, here you go." "Hannibal" is now in my hands. My precious has found me. I still assume, though, that I'll get reamed for getting it. Still, I'm willing to go about $120.

I also pick up a bunch of GMT stuff cheap (almost all the "Down in Flames" series, "SPQR", and the "Barbarossa" series). Someone snags "Age of Renaissance", "Civilization", "Kingmaker", and "Successors" from where I had already looked over. Well, he who hesitates loses... or something like that. Ah well, I'm very, very, content.

So, then I go to pay. "Hannibal"... after my customer discount... $32!!! Same with "Peloponnesian War." Anyway, it's certainly not something I could hope to repeat. Pulling that many old, classic, Avalon Hill bookshelf games all at once for those prices is amazing. They still have hundreds of great games at unbelievable prices... but if I want to remain married I can't go near there for quite some time. All I can say is all praise for the FLGS! Anyway, I'm off to punch some games. Like I said, these are going to get played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cool I'm with ya on this 'one' as I recollect that ''Wargames West'' processed a HUGE
'Micro Armor' order of mine and some other's, that we had made at the time when I was in Germany back in either 1979 or 1980! These were 'CinC' kinds and I'm glad for this, while I STILL even have these! Thanks, you 'guys', for helping out back then...and even more today!
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.