Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Cluzzle» Forums » Rules

Subject: How speciffic.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Well, I got this for my birthday (along with several other games), played it once and overall, had bucketloads of fun (my masterful "rock, paper, scissors" cluzzle being one of the high points). Having said this, a question common to several games of this type came up: How speciffic do guesses have to be for them to be considered correct? In Time's Up for example, the rules state that a player must guess all of the words on the card except for those in parenthesis.

If, for example, the word is "wine" would "wine glass" be correct? How about if the word is "table", would "coffee table" or "card table" be correct?

The way we played it is that, if a guess was more speciffic than the actual cluzzle, then we would accept it. I.e. since a coffee table is a table, we awarded the appropriate cluzzle cash. How does everybody else play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Mr Donkey Thong,

Your question is one that many people have had so we decided to address it in the second edition of Cluzzle. This is what is now written in the rules:

Start with any player’s Cluzzle and take turns reading out your
guesses for that Cluzzle in clockwise order. A guess is correct if
what is written on the Guess Sheet exactly matches the chosen
word(s) on the sculptor’s Cluzzle Card. The only exception is if
the word on the sculptor’s card is singular and the guess is in
plural form (or vice versa).

In other words, a guess of "Coffee Table" would not qualify for "Table" but "Tables" would be an acceptable answer.

Another thing that has confused many people is whether a player can give hints or not. The answer is NO! Players may not give hints. The new rules make this clear by allowing only 5 legal answers:

Yes
No
Sometimes
Partly
I Don't Know

I hope this helps! Access to a PDF of the new rules will soon get posted on our website; www.northstargames.com.

Cheers!
Dominic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dominic,

Just played this last night, and while we did have fun (I approach most party games as an experience), we were a little unsure of how much to say.

Is this "new" limitation why the number of questions allowed was increased from 2 to 4 in later editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 5 legal responses:

Yes
No
Sometimes
Partly
I Don't Know

If the answer is "I Don't Know", then you get to ask another question. You shouldn't say anything else besides that.

Quote:
Is this "new" limitation why the number of questions allowed was increased from 2 to 4 in later editions?

I think so, but I can't exactly remember now. It was a long time ago when I made those changes.

I hope that helps!
Dominic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.