Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had the chance to play a game with the new expansion pack at the Williamsburg Muster and I have to say this expansion is a must have for the game

Operation Spearpoint 1943 is a great card game but itself, but the new expansion pack adds a new depth of realism. Instead of the abstract frontline rearline battlefield you now have a tactical card game with a great "feeling" of moving through buildings and terrain.
When I first looked at the board I didn't realize the game was played left to right or right to left. Most games one player sits on his side and the other player sits on the opposing side. I selected my terrain for placement and quickly started seeing my error, but it was a mistake I will only make once :)
We placed the terrain and my tiger began rolling up the street. Not realizing the power of my defense I was really worried about moving up the street. Is I started taking attacks I started realizing how strong I was. I ended up losing the game, but it really had a great tactical feel. It's very light and easy to understand and a lot of fun. I cant wait to play this with my son.

The components- Beautiful artwork and the counters and board look as if they will be a great quality. The new spotting markers will be a great help in the base game is well. The map is doublesided and I am actually looking forward to having a larger box to put the cards in, along with a larger print ruleset for my fading eyes.

The art work- Its beautiful and detailed. The terrain is easy to understand and clearly marked for LOS.

The game play- FUN. Once I got my head oriented in the game I was really impressed with the feel of play. From appearances I was sort of iffy about having a 3 hex wide field of play but it worked rather well. Hexes can stack with 2 units so that really helped me get into some defensive positions, and the spotting rules worked well for long range attacks. The air attacks, although not in the scenario I played seem amazing. You will have to see this for yourself.

The depth of field was 10 x 3 hexes. And while I really enjoyed playing the scenario I did I am curious to see how many different scenarios can be played in this depth of field.

Pro's- The game really takes operation Spearpoint to the next level. It's a lot of fun and easy to play. The game is beautiful and the geomorphic aspect of the terrain should give a lot of flexibility for more scenarios. The new markers to be included with the game will definitely enhance the original game as well as the expansion.

Cons- My only hold back was price. It seemed odd to me to pay this much for an expansion for a card game. But after game play I realized that it made the game a whole new game. So I can carry the card game around, and play it by itself or play it as a tactical board game. After playing it with the board though I doubt if I will ever go back to playing just the cards. Its just way too much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, Charles, and for your preorder- I'm glad you enjoyed it and it was great to take you through the map-expansion at the Guns of August show this past weekend.

I think you'll be extremely happy with what this adds to the base game for those who want to get a bit more in-depth tactically. Not just with the new scenarios, but with standard games, which are essentially points-based builds (like the base game) but using either map to replace each player's frontline (rear line artillery is handled off board).

Regarding the depth of field, that's a good comment-- here's some of the design thoughts behind it- since the map is relatively compact with its play area, I found it to keep players in the action better than a larger map, which was also used during initial testing. I didn't want the game to slow to a crawl waiting on players to move into range of each other- so the compact grid forces players to stay in the battle and alert regarding what's going on - all of the units in play on the map remain vulnerable throughout the game, forcing players to take advantage of the terrain to seek cover, etc.

One thing I'm discussing with the artist right now is the option to 'cut' the map at the grid line all around and remove the outside border- so that additional maps could be added next to the current ones- maybe as an add-on- for a larger play area if desired. That would leave the option open before printing a bunch of maps that cannot be expanded geomorphically without messing up LOS (the border would mess up the grid).

Thanks again for the review and for your feedback! Glad you had fun with the demo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could definitely see that as a huge plus, especially with the new deck coming out and the possibility of multiplayer games in the future. It would definitely have a different feel with a deeper field. Once I understood I really liked the channeled approach as I was forced to deal with some considerations you would have as you were moving into a town. Sometimes in a scenario like that you have no option except to move forward or wait.
I cant wait to see more..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Charles, thanks. Heard back from the artist Marc von Martial just now and he's all for cutting it at the grid border rather than keeping the current border all around, so consider it done! That's a good change I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that will make the game even more flexible! Thats awesome!
The possibilities are endless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
The depth of field was 10 x 3 hexes.

Was it 10x3? I thought it was 9x3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure I counted 10, divided by 10 would make 2 5x3 boards making it possible to have
1 3 x 10 board or
1 5 x 6 board, or possible mapboard expansions added in the future if board edging is left off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having played the card game without the board, I can't speak for the added value, but certainly removing it would detract from the feel of the game. It would be like playing a completely different game.

Will the game be offered as a bundle with the map board or will it continue to be a la carte? Would combining these two in the future reduce the price point, due to less packaging, if the price point is really of concern.

My mind was focused on getting back to the board game room for the Columbia Games Block Wargame Tournament (that apparently never "really" took place yuk), so I never did actually ask about pricing info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
I am pretty sure I counted 10, divided by 10 would make 2 5x3 boards making it possible to have
1 3 x 10 board or
1 5 x 6 board, or possible mapboard expansions added in the future if board edging is left off

But it's exactly that reason that I remember thinking, how would you be cutting this is "half"...

Problem solved... There's 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have miscounted then! It would have to be in 3 sections hen and that would leave an odd map out. Oh well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's 3x9 grid, each space is 4" square, which is a pretty large space (for using the cards in the space, or, even miniatures ). The cutting I'm talking about is to eliminate the tan border you see in the above photo. So for example, if we were to add boards in the future similar to how Uwe added the Conflict of Heroes Expansion Pack: Map Board #6 – The Marsh, the "borderless" map would allow you to add on to what you see above to increase the play area if desired. If any future maps also had a tan border, the grid would not work out right when aligned to the current map.

The cool thing with the terrain tiles is they act as overlays, setting up differently with each scenario - even the same scenario - so the main advantage of additional boards made geomorphic to what we have is not to switch up the terrain (we're already doing that with the tiles), but to increase the effective play area.

Also, remember there's two sides to the map with terrain tiles specific to each- the side above is just the village side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front and Combat Commander rule! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we ever going to see British/Commonwealth cards for the game as an expansion? The 8th certainly would fit well into the Italian theatre, no? Just curious (my highly decorated late father-in-law fought in the 8th up the Italian peninsula).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Are we ever going to see British/Commonwealth cards for the game as an expansion? The 8th certainly would fit well into the Italian theatre, no? Just curious (my highly decorated late father-in-law fought in the 8th up the Italian peninsula).

David,

I think that would be a great and appropriate addition for the series, esp. since it's 1943-based. The first new cards will be the Russians- in Spearpoint 1943: Eastern Front along with new German units. We actually did a poll a while back to our e-mail list subscribers and proceeded with Eastern Front based on that as the top voted expansion. Second was a British expansion, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front and Combat Commander rule! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

David,

I think that would be a great and appropriate addition for the series, esp. since it's 1943-based. The first new cards will be the Russians- in Spearpoint 1943: Eastern Front along with new German units. We actually did a poll a while back to our e-mail list subscribers and proceeded with Eastern Front based on that as the top voted expansion. Second was a British expansion, I believe.

Awesome. I'll look at the site and possibly pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.