Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris 107, Eric 99, Jon 80-something, Michael, Elijah

I couldn't keep score because it was shabbat. This was both Michael and Eric's first time, and apparently Chris doesn't get to play it much in his group, so he was happy to play. It is a great game, albeit a bit long, and easy for beginners to play.

I explained the rules quickly, and remembered most of them. Elijah started us off with a middle bid, which we all followed, with Michael going first.

Michael had some difficulty spreading out in the first half of the game. It also didn't help that, even after my little speech that it is better to move ahead than to hinder others, I canceled his scoring during the "Everyone picks a region to score" card, resulting in both us falling behind. At the first scoring round, people were still pretty concentrated on the board.

Chris and Eric were ahead, with Elijah at least ten points behind, and Michael and I behind him. I got my big break when I was able to pick up all of my caballeros from one region and distribute them around into several other regions, including being the sole contender in two of the three four point regions, and first place in the other. Elijah then got the card in round six which sent all of our caballeros back to the provinces, which was a pain, but didn't really slow us as much as we thought it would.

By the second scoring round, Chris, Eric, and I were all within 4 points of each other, with me in front. Michael and Elijah were trailing. Chris and Eric were fighting mightily over two provinces.

Things progressed until the last round. Chris got in an early Castillo scoring. Then the "Score the first place in every region" flipped up. That was to be my killer, as I didn't have a high enough bidding card to take it, but Michael did. He took the card, took over the only region I was still first in, and scored, giving him 16 points, Eric 19 points, and Chris 13 points, while I gained nothing. That was the end for me. I still gained slightly more points than they did during final scoring, but not enough to catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.