Popular Tags: [View All]
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction: Rory's Story Cubes describes itself as a "creative story generator". You roll the nine dice and create a story from the pictures that show up on the cubes. The pictures range from an Egyptian pyramid, to a question mark, to a cellphone. You can also create a collaborative story, with the first player rolling a die and starting the story, and, in turn, each player rolling a die and continuing it.

However, I thought the dice pictures would work for improvisational games similar to those on "Who's Line is it Anyway". This session report is a "playtest" of a game.

Game: Panel of Experts. One player plays the host of a show in which the other players play experts on "this week's issue". The host rolls two dice and creates a topic from them, then asks each player to provide their "expert opinion". When a player responds, they roll two dice and must incorporate these pictures into their "expert opinion".

Session report:

Since this was the first time I played the game with this group, we started off with the Rory's Cubes collaborative story. I quickly found out who was and who wasn't good at improvisation. The story itself was about a sunflower who had an idea and met a turtle who wanted to spread joy to the world but whose plans were halted by poisoned water.

The "Panel of Experts" game started with myself as the host and rolling the two dice: a cellphone and a small child with a demonic shadow. The topic, of course, was "Demonic Children and their Cellphones". As the first expert, Chris rolled a Sheep and a Plane, and his opinion was that "These children are a crisis! They're following this trend like sheep, spreading their ideas all over the world on planes!" Later, I introduced John as an expert with a rebuttal, and his expert opinion somehow involved poisoning fountains.

Lessons learned from the session:

* Play the collaborative storytelling game of Rory's Cubes so the host has an idea of which players are good improvisors, and which are not.

* The host can enliven the game by tying in opinions with each other (eg. introducing an expert as having an opposing opinion to a previous opinion, thus requiring the player to make his response as a rebuttal).

* The host can make the game easier on a player by having them roll only one die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory O'Connor
United Kingdom
Belfast
Co. Antrim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! I love the idea of experts giving their view on a topic. I'll give it a try here.

Thanks for sharing your variation.

Rory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls