Subject: I won with only two cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Young
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I won a 4 player game 30-22-19-12 in only 8 rounds with only two cards in my tableau!

I drew Earth's Last Colony for my start world (this is a production world with a 1 VP consume). I had Alien Toy Shop in my hand (this is a windfall world with a 2 VP consume).

My first action was produce but some one else chose settle so I got Alien Toy Shop down and someone else chose consume so I shipped the windfall for 2 VP and then produced. So at the end of round one I had two goods sitting on my two cards and that made me think why don't I just double ship right now for a quick 6 VP.

Since those 6 VP had come so quickly and easily I suddenly thought ... hold on ... I could keep doing this.

So I then proceeded to produce - double ship - produce - double ship - produce - double ship until all the VP had run out and I had finished the game with the others having only 6 or 7 cards in their tableau.

There were a couple of rounds when the others produced / consumed out of sync with mine and this meant that there were a couple of rounds when I produced on Earth's Last Colony only and shipped that for a single VP.

So in total I earned 4 x 6 VP for double shipping both goods, 2 VP for shipping the windfall in round one, 2 x 1 VP for single shipping the Earth's Last Colony good and 2 VP for the tableau.

Best moment was the look on the others faces when they realised half way through that I was just going to keep doing it and that there was nothing they could do to stop me and that the game was going to finish before they even got their engine going.

But it wasn't all bad as the short game meant that we got to play another game straight away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drstuey wrote:
Tonight I won a 4 player game 30-22-19-12 in only 8 rounds with only two cards in my tableau!

I drew Earth's Last Colony for my start world (this is a production world with a 1 VP consume). I had Alien Toy Shop in my hand (this is a windfall world with a 2 VP consume).

Yeah, that's pretty much the canonical example of a 2-card combo in your starting hand that makes it very hard for anyone else to do anything about it. It's especially strong in 2-player advanced. I wouldn't say it's unbeatable, but I'm not sure what I would do about it if I was one of the other players (I would never call Produce for you, that's for sure!).

Luckily the chances of it happening are really really small, and if it does the game should go pretty quick and you can set up for another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Guerrero
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you manage to settle the military windfall world on the first turn?? Did you forget to mention a possible development action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Devoyd wrote:
How did you manage to settle the military windfall world on the first turn??

Alien Toy Shop is a non-military Alien World. He simply had to spend 3 cards to Settle it.

This is a powerful combo, but it is by no means unbeatable. A lot of discussion focused on this issue right after the first expansion came out; I suspect you can find some of it here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw your thread title, I was absolutely certain that I'd find the Alien Toy Shop inside
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I was guessing the DJ Galactic and Kid Cosmos (the Trendsetters), but the Toy Shop makes more sense in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
When I saw your thread title, I was absolutely certain that I'd find the Alien Toy Shop inside
And yet again, this really should be in the exp thread.... namely, Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
(I would never call Produce for you, that's for sure!).
Since its main component is a windfall, producing against ELC+ATS isn't really a problem. Though if you're producing against it, usually your hand is not good enough to beat it.

To the OP, you've tied the record for Smallest winning tableau size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very impressive!

As for how to keep up, well, the thing that occurs to me is that you know what the ELC/ATS player will be doing each turn, so maybe you can take advantage of that. Easier said than done though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I would think the best option for countering would be to go military, go Settle/Settle as much as possible, and try to end the game fast, but that's a huge gamble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played as ELC + ATS vs. an experienced player with just exp #1.

He managed to ALMOST beat me by getting 2 first goals and 1 most goal. In the middle, I got Diversified Economy and managed to get 2 card draws off my V, which allowed me to build for more pts, and also consume for more points, which put me right back on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
GoodOmens wrote:
I would think the best option for countering would be to go military, go Settle/Settle as much as possible, and try to end the game fast, but that's a huge gamble.
Actually, pulling off a dev rush while leeching a bit works awfully well for Epsilon Eridani. Imo, EE is the best starting HW to oppose ELC/ATS; play a few games of it and you'll typically become a stronger RFTG player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!