Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been asked in any of the dozens of other questions about the Pirates tile. But I couldn't find it.

Pirates says that the tile fights the naval units of the same color as the the token being attacked. Combat is carried out in the standard manner.

This standard manner is, of course, a naval battle for naval support and then a land battle to follow. At least that is the standard manner for battle that is not triggered by a tile.

So does Pirates trigger a land battle after the Pirate battles the naval units? Or does "in the standard manner" mean just in terms of rolling 2d6, taking the difference, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Speth
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is just a naval battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to take a closer look at the rules. Naval conflict can be carried out prior to a land conflict to determine land support (and thus the naval conflict is included in the cost of the land conflict) or it can be carried out independently of land conflict. Naturally, since the defender can decline to fight, it would be incrediblyl stupid to make a naval attack outside the context of a land conflict.

However, the pirates are a special case. They make a standard naval attack which can win them a control marker. This is the only case where a naval-only battle can change a control marker. In the special case where the defender has no naval units, he defends against the naval attack at strength zero.

Note the power of the pirates - they completely ignore land armies! You could have 5 land army units in a territory, and if you don't have navy, the pirates will attack at +1 and can take away the control marker! Not only that, but you can only take it away from them with a new navy attack! It's brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Poolman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah, I had a similar question...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

With an answer from Martin Wallace himself.

So I take it as:

1) Only naval combat roll
2) Force figured as usual
3) No outcome other than the token being captured if the pirates win.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Note the power of the pirates - they completely ignore land armies! You could have 5 land army units in a territory, and if you don't have navy, the pirates will attack at +1 and can take away the control marker! Not only that, but you can only take it away from them with a new navy attack! It's brutal.

An attack / defence with a power of 1 is feeble. For this I need to use a whole action?
I've only ever seen this used in desparation or against a runaway winning ally. Better to consider a slave revolt with a strength of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.