Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Chua
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

So I was playing with my wife the other night and was wondering if it would be fun to do a Magic The Gathering variant on this game. The variant would involve giving each player a certain amount of Hit Points (20-30?) that could be whittled down by undefended monster attacks.

I only say this because we would have turns when creatures would "attack" but the other player wouldn't have any defending monsters and literally, NOTHING would happen. Yes, those creatures would score points later but it feels a bit anti-climactic summoning them and not doing any damage at all.

With this variant, another path to victory could be: who can whittle down the other player's HP first.

Any thoughts?? What would be a good HP amount if I were to implement this??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The last player would have a disadvantage unless you disallowed attacks on the players' hit points on the first turn since he could not get any blocker out until everyone else had a chance to attack him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you no longer have glory, there's no reason for monsters to score. And if monsters don't score, they can stick around for more than one turn and have a 'summoning sickness' sort of effect, where monsters don't contribute to your attack unless you had them at the start of your turn. That might end up being too powerful for the stronger monsters, and it means that culling has to be done some other way, but it would reduce the disadvantage for later players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Chuman007 wrote:

I only say this because we would have turns when creatures would "attack" but the other player wouldn't have any defending monsters and literally, NOTHING would happen. Yes, those creatures would score points later but it feels a bit anti-climactic summoning them and not doing any damage at all.

I guess I'm one of those who don't see "nothing happening" as a bad thing. The whole point of the game is to score points, not inflict hit points or kill creatures. If my summoned creatures don't have anything to attack, that means my opponent(s) don't have any creatures that are going to score. So I don't see this as anti-climactic at all.
But, I'm not a Magic player either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like this idea. What is the worst that could happen just by trying?

What if the monsters did damage to the player by Glory point amount instead of attack damage. Attack damage would still be used against monsters. Left over damage could be scaled to something like 1-3 points over killing the monster is 1 GP of Damage, 4 & up is full Glory point damage. That way you could use the GP track in reverse. Also, to stop having crazy monster amounts, set a limit at 3 monsters (completely arbitrary), with the option of discarding a monster BEFORE your next draw/roll. That would make it a gamble and probably more fun. Damage to monsters over time may be a little hard to keep track of. Then again, you could probably use a normal set of dice (6, 8, and maybe 20s) to indicate either total health/damage of a creature or of the entire creature set in front of you. Culling dice could happen when a monster is destroyed maybe? Also, I agree that no person could attack until everyone has at least one draw.

To be honest, I was hoping to see some suggestions for Magic cards being used as monsters or spells. Now that would be a variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.