Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, 3 french victories and none from the british.

Anyone feeling that the game might be a little easier for the french, with all the free space to expand and opportunities to raid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four games last night at our war gaming session. Four victories belonged to the British, who was also the most experienced player.
Seems to be balanced, once both players have equal experience & skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
aro246 wrote:
Anyone feeling that the game might be a little easier for the french, with all the free space to expand and opportunities to raid?

Yesterday my wife won easily, playing British, gaining >70 points whilst French, commanded by yours truly, managed to score a measly 40-something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
aro246 wrote:

So far I have only a handfull of games under my belt, but I have the feeling that the game really is balanced. If the French starts to spread an does not at the same time go to battle (and prepare for this regarding his deck builts) he will run into troubles if the British player develops his villages fast and foces an end to the game by running out of city token....

GREAT game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
aro246 wrote:

So far I have only a handfull of games under my belt, but I have the feeling that the game really is balanced. If the French starts to spread an does not at the same time go to battle (and prepare for this regarding his deck builts) he will run into troubles if the British player develops his villages fast and foces an end to the game by running out of city token....

GREAT game!

While I agree that it's balanced, I think for the Brits, there's only one of two possible strategies... either taking the two settler cards as the first action or going the military route and forcing the french to compete militarily. Has anyone had successes with other British strategies?]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jethro Hendrickx
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I found the same thing, the Brits choose one of two possible strategies, the french respond. But I still like the game a lot, there's room for optimalisation of your strategy, you need to be aware what your opponent buys (military, raiders) and it's really balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my friend the other day. Beat him by 10 points as the British , then we switched and I beat him by 10 points as the French, seems balanced to me !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier REIX
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3-1 for French on my side and at this point I also think the game is in favor of the French for players with similar experience.

But I still try to prove that wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played 14 games so far.

8-6 For France, but the first 5 games we played were all won by France. Once we started to figure out the British play, it evened out.

We've both won and lost while playing with each side. My wife is currently ahead in the series, 8 to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If you as British are always losing, all you need to do is get a lot of money, buy a lot of army, and siege as many towns as possible. You can win easily this way, assuming the French are expanding out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
While I agree that it's balanced, I think for the Brits, there's only one of two possible strategies... either taking the two settler cards as the first action or going the military route and forcing the french to compete militarily. Has anyone had successes with other British strategies?]

I assume you mean the Brits spend their first two turns buying the two Settler cards.

I've won as the British through a combination of a successful raid on Quebec and outsettling my opponent (although I didn't purchase either Settler card). In general, I see no reason why a combination strategy based on settling AND either some attacking or raiding couldn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 10 games and I think that there is like 5-5 or 5-6 to the french. So to me seems fairly balanced.

Larry Levy wrote:
I've won as the British through a combination of a successful raid on Quebec and outsettling my opponent (although I didn't purchase either Settler card). In general, I see no reason why a combination strategy based on settling AND either some attacking or raiding couldn't work.

I completely agree. There are tons of strategies except just "buy settlers or Heavy Military"
I've even won though a raiding strategy as brittish player, sitting with indian leader and 4 neutral natives in the end. I've also had a round where I got to fort niagara and Detroit as Brittish, and bought a Trader to handle all the Fur.

The problem I think some brittish players do who think these "normal strats" are the onlyone avalible, is that they let the french dictate the game. Ofcourse you need to do a heavy military rout if you don't take the settlers on turn 2 AND the french player takes both (and if he does this and you didnt waste any money, you should be able to get a huge army without him able to respond).
But if he doesn't you got a game infront of you where you have a loat of options. Yes, you need to check those settlers, since if the french takes them later on, he will be able to end the game fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that the British opening of besieging Port Royal on the first turn puts the French in a difficult situation. What is the best response to this opening? Can the French race with a settlers card in their deck? They still have to settle two more locations, three if they lose Port Royal. Should the French gear up for a battle at Louisbourg or a counter attack at Port Royal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
topdeckgames wrote:
My experience is that the British opening of besieging Port Royal on the first turn puts the French in a difficult situation.

How is this possible without prior purchase of at least one infantry? Brits will have problems to push the siege token to the neutral places not mentioning winning the siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
How is this possible without prior purchase of at least one infantry? Brits will have problems to push the siege token to the neutral places not mentioning winning the siege.

Use Boston, NY, or Philadelphia. They have a military symbol on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Pyjam wrote:
grouchysmurf wrote:

Yap, sure thing: the siege starts from -1, in first turn Brits may push it as far as 0. If French is lucky, he may have infantry in his starting hand so the siege will end up in -2. How this can be devastating for French, I am yet to discover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:

Philadelphia has no military symbol. Only Coin, Wagon, and Settler.

I don't either (agreeing with grouchysmurf) see this as a viable strategy, without having waited a couple of turns and picked up some extra infantery/siegeweapons.
Sure the brittish playr has a loat of ships at his disposal. But French player has atleast one ship, qubec and a regular infantery. If the french can hold long enough and then the brittish player will sit with Permaquid, Philadelphia and St.Mary on hand, and hence be very restricted in what he can do, while the french player has a trader and a loat of fur to get money and can expand very mutch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brits' early thin deck is quite an advantage. Turn 1 besiege PR, turn 2 buy infantry or artillery, and it goes into hand at end of turn 2. Play infantry or artillery on turn 3. It seems difficult for the French to overcome the momentum. Until the siege is resolved, the Brits are cycling their entire active draw deck every turn. With enough merchant money, it provides complete control over what new cards show up in his hand each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The British opening hand would have to be perfect. they need the Pemiquid card, a ship card to get there, another ship card to move the siege to zero.
The French then can play their infantry, push it to minus two and the British will need to play two more ships to get it back to zero. That is their second turn. They still have not bought a single card.
The French can then play Quebec, pushing back to -1, then maybe grab a militia.
The British now have no more ships to play.
Seems very risky to me.Slows the British to a crawl and the French can actually grab a turn or two advantage.
Even if the British win, their deck will be the starting locations and military. As French, i would start ambushing immediately to make the British buy back those expensive military, all while expanding westward.
The French have the initial military advantage and are actually the more likely to pop Pemiquid than the British Port Royal. IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reviewing the starting cards quantitatively and considering the replies, it appears that:
1. The Brits will have the ability to attack Port Royal 72%(5/7) of the time on the first turn.
2. The French will prevail if they have infantry in their opening hand(50% probability), and play it on the first turn.
3. If the French do not have infantry, and play only one military strength with a ship(2 out of 9 cards since PR is unusable, ~50% probability), they will allow the Brits the play of buying the Military Leader + play military strength on turn 2.
4. Turn 2 French play infantry(high probability in hand by now) and 1 military. They end turn 2 at -3 siege strength, and have played all military strength in deck. 7 cards remain in French deck.
5. Turn 3 Brits play all remaining military in their deck, 2 ships and 1 mil leader. -0- siege value. 3 cards remain in Brit deck.
6. Turn 3 French trade for $$ and buy coureurs des bois.
7. Turn 4 Brits buy inf, ready to turn the tide in their favor on turn 5.

Even if this fails, either initially when the French have infantry in their opening hand, or if they manage to overcome the British momentum, the Brits have a smaller deck with few unusable cards. This allows a reattack of PR. Attacking with ship cards reduces the downside when losing, as nothing goes back to the empire deck. Indians will be a concern for the Brits, but can be countered with Rangers. Within a turn or two, the Brits should be able to buy artillery, which the French cannot match so early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.