Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Parsons
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hants
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, so Denethor running around Mirkwood doesn't exactly fit the LOTR theme.

There is a way through to explain it though: how about we think of him in a more abstract way? Perhaps having Denethor as one of your heroes means that he still sits in his tower, but you have his favour and help even though he's not physically present?

You could think of his three defence as an abstract form of "help from Gondor" in the form of nameless Gondorian reinforcements, or perhaps his farsightedness helping to divert your enemies, or special preparedness. His Response ability could be fairly abstract too: you could imagine him instructing the heroes in advance on what they might face (through crafty Palantir usage).

I've always thought of Steward of Gondor as "the favour of the Steward of Gondor" in any case (otherwise it just makes my skin crawl): perhaps this is a more specific form of that?

Ok, it's a stretch, but I prefer this to him hitching his skirts and hi-tailing it through a forest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to think that has a secret alter ego of "deneTHOR". Where he wields his mighty hammer to defend his allies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Acanda
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I cringed when I saw Denethor as one of the heroes. I have never thought of Denethor as someone... How might I say it?... heroic. But, hey, some flavor must be sacrificed for the sake of having an interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But...

I love Denethor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I like playing Steward of Gondor on Eowyn while Denethor sits idly by. Shouldn't Steward of Gondor at least be in the same sphere as Denethor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, if they make heroes that are fun to play with, I could care less if they fit thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this takes place in the intervening years between the quest to Erebor and the Long-Expected Party, we can imagine Denethor as a younger man. He was described by Tolkien as a "proud man, tall, valiant, and more kingly than any man that had appeared in Gondor for many lives of men; and he was wise also, and far-sighted, and learned in lore." This was back 40-63 years before the main action in LotR. At that time Aragorn was questing away in Gondor and Rohan under the name Thorongil. (How long until we see a character with that name come into the game?) Furthermore, we can see how Tolkien's description places him in the Lore sphere rather than another sphere. At the time of LotR Aragorn is already 87 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And rather than him actually dying when his card sustains too much damage, he really just loses interest/sanity or something, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find it more fit to look at things in a broader scheme than how they are being suggested in the flavour text. Rather than companions navigating a raft along the Anduin river, I see it as a group of influencing characters searching, scouting, questing in the area to undo evil there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Legendary wrote:
Personally, if they make heroes that are fun to play with, I could care less if they fit thematically.

I'd thumb you to agree with the sentiment, but the pedant in me hates to see a mangled idiom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Legendary wrote:

I'd thumb you to agree with the sentiment, but the pedant in me hates to see a mangled idiom.

As a pedant myself, I wondered if it were intentional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
PaulRadagast wrote:
Since this takes place in the intervening years between the quest to Erebor and the Long-Expected Party, we can imagine Denethor as a younger man. He was described by Tolkien as a "proud man, tall, valiant, and more kingly than any man that had appeared in Gondor for many lives of men; and he was wise also, and far-sighted, and learned in lore." This was back 40-63 years before the main action in LotR. At that time Aragorn was questing away in Gondor and Rohan under the name Thorongil. (How long until we see a character with that name come into the game?) Furthermore, we can see how Tolkien's description places him in the Lore sphere rather than another sphere. At the time of LotR Aragorn is already 87 years old.

Well, then you run into the problem that if the setting is 40 - 63 years before the LOTR story then Eowyn , Theodred and many others in the game would not even be alive.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Parsons
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hants
flag msg tools
mb
PaulRadagast wrote:
Since this takes place in the intervening years between the quest to Erebor and the Long-Expected Party, we can imagine Denethor as a younger man.

I thought it was set in the 14 years between the Long-Expected Party and Frodo leaving the Shire with the ring...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisMDP wrote:
PaulRadagast wrote:
Since this takes place in the intervening years between the quest to Erebor and the Long-Expected Party, we can imagine Denethor as a younger man.

I thought it was set in the 14 years between the Long-Expected Party and Frodo leaving the Shire with the ring...?

I stand corrected. I was thinking of that time frame even while writing the other one.

In the end my point was that if we allow that Eowyn would be a child during at least half of the time frame the game is set in, and by all accounts Beorn is dead, (IIRC, Grimbeorn is his grandson,) then we can allow ourselves to think of Denethor as being in his youth when he saw himself vying for favour against Thorongil, rather than just an old, crazed man, corrupted by Sauron through misuse of the Palantir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better they use existing characters (however unlikely) than just make some up to fill the decks in my opinion. I enjoy seeing all the familiar characters playing a role somewhere within the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
Epicurean wrote:
Better they use existing characters (however unlikely) than just make some up to fill the decks in my opinion. I enjoy seeing all the familiar characters playing a role somewhere within the game.

Definitely.
If it said "Lord of the Rings" on the cover and then inside all you got was Ted the Dwarf, Ernie the Elf, and Bobby McBobson the Ranger I'd be rather upset. Albeit ever so briefly amused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Epicurean wrote:

Definitely.
If it said "Lord of the Rings" on the cover and then inside all you got was Ted the Dwarf, Ernie the Elf, and Bobby McBobson the Ranger I'd be rather upset. Albeit ever so briefly amused.

yes indeed.. i just wish the QUEST/SCENARIO also reflect the LOTR storyline.. like from Journey from Rivendell to Pass of Caradras.. and Passage thru Moria..

there's lot of quest and battle scene in the books that can be expanded..

AFAIK there is no journey to MIRKWOOD by denethor or gimli...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the point of the game is more a "what if", rather than a retelling, the game would not be much fun if the outcome was predetermined!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Epicurean wrote:

I find it easiest to think of games played in familiar settings as alternate histories. If I expected them to conform to the source's vision/history, there would be no game to play because the outcome would be predetermined, and therefore no game to play.

IMO, the familiar characters are there to make the game accessible. I'm know them, I want to play as them. But the decision to set the game in those 17 years previous to the book is a good idea as well. I can more easily accept these quest without having to say "This isn't the way it happened," than rewriting the main storyline of the book.

As far as the characters are concerned, the trade off will always be between characters you know doing something they would never do, (Denethor, Bilbo,) or could never have done, (given contradiction with the Tale of Years,) and made up characters that might have done something off stage while Tolkien's characters were busy doing what we know they were doing.

I think the balance is about right. Yes, Denethor sitting in his chair seems out of place, but kooky things like that will happen when you take someone else's vision and try to make a game that can play out in myriad ways. "Aragorn can't die!!! He's supposed to become King in a couple of years!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think of Denethor the Same Way. His influence and reach is far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, Chris. I pretty much agree. I've always viewed "Steward" as really the "favor of the Steward", as you say.

As for Denethor... yeah I've also thought about the more abstract "Denethor's support" and it can also work.

So I'm with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Legendary wrote:

Personally, I see the idiom working either way. If I "could" care less, I am acknowledging that there is a tiny slice of me that could support the subject, but I would not mind at all if I "cared less" than I already do. Wouldn't miss it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Legendary wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
Legendary wrote:

Personally, I see the idiom working either way. If I "could" care less, I am acknowledging that there is a tiny slice of me that could support the subject, but I would not mind at all if I "cared less" than I already do. Wouldn't miss it at all.

I believe your logic has undergone some "enhanced interrogation" there, but at the very least you can have that thumb I owed you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
AFAIK there is no journey to MIRKWOOD by denethor or gimli...

Cross out "Mirkwood" and replace with "Rivendell". Or THORSville. Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.