Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Skip first 3 paragraphs if you don't want the backstory)

For a little back story Blue Moon is Jess's (my wife) favorite game. She fell in love almost instantly when I bought it in 2010. I was on an overseas volunteer assignment in Uganda and was visiting for a few weeks when I found a copy of the base game at my local FLGS. Knowing it was OOP I picked it up and we tried it out. It went over so well I was commanded to go get every expansion I could for it. I thought this would be hard but I was able to get 2 copies of every peoples expansion, except of course Aqua and Pillar, from the FFG Event Center near my house. This was great! We played a bunch before I left and I brought the expansion decks back to Uganda with me. We played over Skype, announcing powers and texts to each other as necessary.

Since I had only a few of the expansions I played with them the most. The one that always struck me as awesome was the Mimix. I loved the theme of that deck and the feel of the women using the power of the earth and their body energy. I even loved how they paired together, considering them sisters to each other. Unfortunately Jess loved the Khind the most and chose to play with them often. I could never pull out a win with my sacred sisters, try as I might.

Fast forward over a year and I am now home, we are married, have Aqua and Pillar, and we chose to play Blue Moon tonight. Our usual format is shuffling all the leaders together and then drawing randomnly for peoples. We have also returned all the people's back to their respective decks; no colluding with other races in our Blue Moon. Anyways, for the Mimix, tonight was a night to remember.

(actual gameplay, 4 matches ending with Mimix vs Khind)

The first match I drew Buka vs her Vulca. I thought it would be alright since Buka have some decent numbers but knew I would have to use my ships wisely since my "free" card powers would rarely apply to Buka. I bluffed and scrabbled to 3/4 of the way through my deck when I finally drew my first ship. At this point I was already down two dragons and try as I might couldn't recover. Jess won by attracting her fourth dragon.

Second up I drew the Terrah and she drew Flit. I laughed at this matchup; imagining these big oversize slow guys swatting at tiny annoying bird men. Turns out they were swatting very good. A well timed earth quake and some big giants played as the first into some battles won the war of attrition here. When Jess played her last card I had 3 dragons, was able to continue to the fight and she retreated.

Feeling better as we entered our third match up I drew the Hoax and she drew the Aqua. This promised to be an interesting fight. Tricks up against a bunch of protection. Right out of the gate Jess pulled ahead by 2 dragons and had me sweating. I had one character card in my hand and it was my turn to go. I played a Leadership card to draw 5 cards into hand and the tide was turned. I battled back and drew ahead, now 2 dragons were on my side. With a little more back and forth I ended up winning with 2 dragons at the end.

(begin Mimix vs Khind)

With 3 decks left unplayed we decided to keep going. Seeing as how I am a great spouse I kindly offered to let her play the Khind. Since she is a tad-lot competitive she accepted and then made me pull randomly between the Mimix and Pillar. I think the color drained from my face when I saw the ladies staring back at me; this was a sure loss. "You better bring your A-game" she said. I shrugged and gloomily said "whatever."

I was going to play first and as soon as I saw my cards I knew I had a shot. I had pulled two shamans in the first draw as well as a free character, one of the Virgins, and two of the Wilds. I lead with a Shaman that allowed me to draw 3 cards and shuffle 2 back into my deck. One of the cards I picked up was a Leadership allowing me to retrieve and active card and the third wild; perfect. She stinkily began a purple gang. I then played two of the Wilds along with a worthless support to which she responded with another purple member and a 2 for support. I Leadershipped one of the Wilds back and then played it with the other sister, along with a booster to make a total of 8. She had no more purples and had to retreat. Stunning! The mimix were starting out with 2 dragons after the very first battle!

As I redrew my hand I almost fell over. I had managed to pull the second Virgin as well as both the Spirits AND a free character. As she started the next fight I couldn't help but chuckle to myself, I knew I had her. She lead in earth and I played a couple cards just to add to my card count. She responded adequately but I quickly responded with both Spirits and the free character for a total of 8, then added a text based support to push my total card count to 6; enough for 2 dragons more. Her jaw hasn't dropped that far that quickly since I proposed to her last year. Stunned she surveyed her hand. After a few moments she said "The closest I can come is 6."

I was beside myself. Overall for the night I was 3-1 which is pretty good since we are usually quite even in Blue Moon, but the real stunner was the epic trouncing of those little brats by the foxy ladies. I had taken only 5 turns and attracted 4 dragons. Just the fact that I won against the Khind was enough, but to do it so thoroughly, so quickly, was unreal.

(Of course we realize that this was a rare case where luck alone let me win. However, it made up for all the times I had tried to get a win with the Mimix, stubbornly refusing to pick someone different just so I could have a chace to win.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done report Kenny.

I wonder what percentage of Blue Moon players have reconstituted their decks to be race-pure like you have. It's an interesting idea. I like to think of the odd-lot people cards as outlaws or castoffs from their peeps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.