Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heroic Brewer
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished the last of my Earth Reborn mini's, and I want to apply a protective laquor on them so that they last. I picked up a bottle of Testors Dullcote, the brush on stuff, not the spray can. Are there any special precautions before I apply this finish? Do I need to thin it, or just use it straight out of the bottle? Should I put a few thin coats or one thicker coat?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this painting noob's questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally thin it with white spirit (it dries very quickly).
As for paints, thinner coats are better.
Note that Dullcote is solvent-based, and the solvent itself is quite aggressive, so it can melt/remove a bit the acrylic paint under. So brush very gently, or apply a 1st acrylic varnish layer before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Brewer
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, so the dullcote can actually remove the paint if you're not careful? Read the instructions on the bottle, and it doesn't mention this, seems like it would be something they'd like to point out!

I've read that people use Future floor polish to provide a protective layer, is this something you'd suggest? If not, what other brands or products should I be looking at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about Future floor (US brand I guess). I use acrylic varnish from Vallejo, or just the Dullcote direcly over the paint (but carefully). I think that the paint removal phenomena I've noticed depends on the underlying painjob (I apply very thin coats of paint) and because the Dullcote I use is brush-on. With spray-on Dullcote and/or thicker paint layers, it might be less sensitive.

Anyway, Dullcote is the best-looking matt varnish I've tested yet (thanks to a fellow BGG user), the fact that it might remove some of the paint is not a real issue to me since I know how to prevent it.

Thinking about it, I have to try other thinners for Dullcote...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Brewer
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll just test out some combinations on some spare plastic sprues I have around the house before I apply to my mini's. I'll try straight dullcote over paint, and the varnish + dullcote to see which I prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.