Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

Well last week saw the first of my Dust Tactics Arrive:

Dust Tactics
Dust Tactics: Sturmgrenadiere Command Squad – "Kommandotrupp"
Dust Tactics: Rangers Command Squad – "The Boss"

Now I am at a crossroads, trying to work out the best way forward. I know that the Core set is going out once they run out, and being replaced by the revised core set.

I am trying to avoid doubling up on any of the squads if I can (is that a bad thing) - as I want as much variety in the army's as possible. Yes I am building both sides, however the value of the Original Core set rocks and I'm not sure if I can ignore it.

I know the revised core set is due out soon (any idea when?) - Looking at the units are they too similar to the core set? I.E are the units in the revised core set the equivalent of the core set figures?

Also what are your feelings on the gorillas & Zombies? Are you fielding them, avoiding them?

As I am unsure if this is turning the game too weird. I am undecided, to me it fits the theme of dust tactics, but in the WWII type setting....Am I being too picky about this?

Also how many walkers are you usually putting onto the table in a typical game?

So I am open to advise from fellow dust tactics players.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, it seems that you have the same mind set as me in getting variety, so unless you want to seriously enter competitions then there is no need to buy another copy of the original set, the revised set has all new units, I'd get them if I were you.

In the UK they should be out this weekend according to Maelstrom Games but I've seen a week later elsewhere, I'll be getting the zombies and gorilla's just for completness and give them a go but I have a funny feeling that these will be no where near my list of 'must have's' when army building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O'h yeah, to answer your other question I tend to have the same ratio as the starter set, so 2 mechs, 3 inf and a hero and then just add more of the units I fancy taking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis that change the game the most with more play options are the command squads.

Since you got that,

The second minis that change the game the most are the artillery 'mechs and observers squads.
When you get the observers, you get the snipers at the same time (a small plus)...

The new allies jump troopers and the gorillas also are great and change the game a lot. Their only problem, at least for the gorillas, is that they are trully made to be used with their corresponding hero, included in Operation: SeeLowe. Without the hero Markus, the gorillas are much less useful and fun to use, with him, they are frightening to play against... So in order to get some use, you have to buy the campaign expansion.

The best $$$ for the money will be the revised core, which is coming so soon it might be the best option for expansion for everybody. The only thing is that i beleive the units in the revised will be more "generic", in that they won't be anything as wild (and fun) as the gameplay experience of the gorillas and jump troopers, or the artillery.

So far, the only minis that are only so, so are the light 'mechs for both Allies and Axis. Lot's of people don't like them and they are not a game changer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
i have the allies out of 1 core set that i use once in a while for showing people how to play the game .

the reason i play the germans is because there are more people here wanting to play the allies than the germans , so i decided to go with one army and stick with it .

when i started into DT :

i was given a starter by my FLGS to help me make this all happen

i was traded a starter for painting another guys figs

i traded the allies from one starter to an allies player for his axis figs

i bought 2 artillery walkers a recon squad , command squad , and the 2 expansions .

i traded some one at bartertown who was looking for some old GW stuff i had in a box i got 2 light axis walkers .

i traded some one for a unit of gorillas , just so i wuld have a squadto go with markus .

a couple weeks ago was a sci fi con being put on by a comic shop that also sells games , and has a gaming area in their store . knowing that they would be a better target to approach than bit them out on ebay or something like that , i went in and traded them . for my star wars minis , i traded for one starter , 4 light axis wlkers , and 2 medium axis walkers boxes .

i traded the allies to one of my allies players for his axis from his starter that he had had for a while , but wasnt interested in playing .

so for this one deal , i have ANOTHER 6 medium walkers , and 4 light walkers , and 2X laser grenadiers , recon grenadiers , and battle grenadiers .

i'm using 5 of the medium , and 3 of the light walkers to make some mods to spice things up a bit .

this may seem a little like over kill , but as i have been saying , despite my feelings toward FFG , i have big plans cor classic AEG style dust here .

as for the gorillas , they are a neat idea , but are far to weak for me to field in mass beyond just the one squad .

the zombies are a much better bang for the buck .

most of our games only involve forces that contain 1/3 walkers by number , but going just for a varied force , and not getting any duplicats , you ignore or limit you ability to create scenarios , or meet more varied challenges .

with duplicates , i can pick and choose units to meet what ever challenge i face .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right so the latest addition to my collection:

Dust Tactics: Medium Panzer Walker – "Luther / Ludwig / Lothar"
and
Dust Tactics: Medium Assault Walker – "Hot Dog / Pounder / Steel Rain / Mickey"

Considering the next move later tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty1982 wrote:

You could actually get 2 each of these kits as there a 4 different models based on this model/ Mikey/Steel Rain and (I can never remember the German names), one with Neblewerfer artillery rockets and with a bit of conversion, one with 2 claws. You will probably want the observer sets as well for the artillery fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
oh , i would also like to add into ref. the light walkers , they are pretty popular here with my group , they see use in pretty much every game .

granted , the laser and phaser variants do lag , and see MUCH less play , but the anti aircraft versions of each are really good at eleminating infantry , especially the armor 3 infantry .

prior to getting a couple light walkers , i used to field the luthors fairly often to help deal with infantry , but now i use them much less , favoring instead the light AA walker .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
Rusty1982 wrote:

You could actually get 2 each of these kits as there a 4 different models based on this model/ Mikey/Steel Rain and (I can never remember the German names), one with Neblewerfer artillery rockets and with a bit of conversion, one with 2 claws. You will probably want the observer sets as well for the artillery fire.

I think that three Medium walkers will suffice for now, the allied ones are:

Pounder, a Hot Dog, a Mickey, or a Steel Rain

Axis:

Luther, a Ludwig, or a Lothar

I have seen an article to convert one to the Loth I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.