Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey fellow geeks!

The following is my first (hopefully of many) scenario for the Lord of the Rings CCG, inspired originally by NinjaDorg and his many great scenarios.

I feel that Lord of the Rings is a great game for customizing your own scenarios, so I wanted to add to this ever-growing community by creating my own. This is my first time creating a LOTR scenario, and while I have playtested the scenario a handful of times, it may be a bit rough around the edges, so forgive me for that.

The Ruins of Nan Wathren is an intro-level scenario. It's a bit tougher than the Mirkwood scenario included in the core set, but not quite as tough as the Anduin scenario, since it is designed to start easy and get tougher over time.

I chose the setting of Trestlebridge / Nan Wathren due mostly to my familiarity with the Lord of the Rings Online areas, which I feel are ripe for LCG adaptation. Since the card game is set before the books take place, interesting areas that aren't mentioned expressly in the books are a perfect setting to use.

Please give me any comments you have with regards to the scenario, and let me know how your sessions go!

Special thanks / shout out to GeckoTH for creating incredibly useful photoshop templates for scenario creation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feonix wrote:

Both these cards use the word "disard": It should be discard I believe.

Other than that it looks like an interesting scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1A: Dol Guldur Orcs..... all of them?
2B: what happens if the encounter deck runs out of cards? (reshuffle or not)
3B: i don't understand the 2nd forced effect. doesn't this mean i can never finish this stage, because once i defeat the Nazgul i would always have to remove the progress tokens as soon as i have collected them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, I can't spell. Thanks for pointing that out. I've taken the liberty of fixing that now so people's eyes don't bleed constantly reading the word "disard".

That's what I get for copy/pasting too much. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
letsdance wrote:
1A: Dol Guldur Orcs..... all of them?

Haha, that would be a bit much. Just one Dol Goldur Orcs card.

letsdance wrote:
2B: what happens if the encounter deck runs out of cards? (reshuffle or not)

Reshuffle and keep going if you run out and can't find enough to fulfill "X". I would have included that text, but it wouldn't fit on the card.

letsdance wrote:
3B: i don't understand the 2nd forced effect. doesn't this mean i can never finish this stage, because once i defeat the Nazgul i would always have to remove the progress tokens as soon as i have collected them?

It might be worded a bit poorly, now that I review it a second time. It's supposed to be that you have to get 5+ progress tokens and defeat the Nazgul, then get 5 more progress tokens (to "get out" of the ruins). Once you've gotten 5 progress tokens after having already killed the Nazgul previously, you automatically win. The best way to edit it would be to add the text, "This can only be triggered once." to the second Forced effect. Thanks for pointing that one out.

I hope these clarifications help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've edited 3B to include that errata:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i suggest phrasing 1A "one Old Forest Road and one Dol Guldur Orc"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely some interesting ideas here. This may just end up being the first fan-made quest I try.

One suggestion I would make though would be to make that last part of 3B into its own card 4. That would allow you to describe the 'getting out of the ruins' much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Hugin!

I thought about doing that for the final card, but in the end I decided I wanted to keep the format that Fantasy Flight has been using. If you feel it would be easier on the eyes that way, feel free to play it that way yourself. You can do that easily by printing out two copies of 3B - on the first one, cross off the second "Forced" effect, and on the second one, cross off everything after the first "Forced" effect, and then just change "3B" to "4".

If you play it and like it, you should definitely check out NinjaDorg's scenarios, his are very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've edited 1A for clarification purposes, as per letsdance's suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting scenario, I will try it out today.

In stage 3B, I would change the questing value to 10 and change the forced effect as follows: "when there are 5 progress tokens on this card, place Nazgul of Dol Goldur in the staging are.
While the Nazgul is in play, players cannot place progress tokens on this quest card".

This way, IMO, the wording is clearer, but the result is the same.

Good job on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good suggestion, and a good way of showing that the first 5 progress tokens represent reaching the Nazgul, then fighting the Nazgul, then the second 5 progress tokens for leaving. It does end up being a little bit tougher that way, since you can't fight the Nazgul while progressing through the first 5 progress tokens of the quest, but at that stage of the game it doesn't make a huge difference. Feel free to play through 3B this way and let me know how much more difficult it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work mate - always cool to see other new scenarios made by the players. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Nice work mate - always cool to see other new scenarios made by the players. thumbsup

I played the scenario today, and it was quite fun to play.
I'd rate it a LVL2 difficulty.
It starts easy (thanx to the 1B forced effect) and slowly progresses harder.
At stage 3B, the Nazul is not THAT big of a challenge, especially if you have a good ally-army (my threat was 34, and I had Beorn down: then played Gandalf; I then voluntarily engaged the Nazgul, had Gandalf defend, and then Beorn used his ability, which, combined with Legolas killed the beast altogether).

Anyhow, like Ninjadorg said, it is always nice and refreshing playing with new scenarios.

cheers and keep up the good work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

From NinjaDorg himself! Thanks a lot, your scenarios are great as well. Let's both keep 'em coming so the LOTR community keeps growing! laugh

Ikim wrote:
I played the scenario today, and it was quite fun to play.
I'd rate it a LVL2 difficulty.
It starts easy (thanx to the 1B forced effect) and slowly progresses harder.
At stage 3B, the Nazul is not THAT big of a challenge, especially if you have a good ally-army (my threat was 34, and I had Beorn down: then played Gandalf; I then voluntarily engaged the Nazgul, had Gandalf defend, and then Beorn used his ability, which, combined with Legolas killed the beast altogether).

Thanks Ikim! Good to hear a report from somebody having played it. I feel similarly - it's got a bit easier of a beginning than Mirkwood, but its slightly tougher near the end (the Nazgul is a bit tougher than Ungoliant's Spawn, all things considered). Although yes, at that point in the game, the Nazgul shouldn't be too much of a challenge unless you've been having a rough time of things beforehand. It's meant to be an introductory scenario, so it's good that it's easy. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Mescam
France
flag msg tools
With Feonix permission, I translated this scenario in french.
Here is the result, I'll send a PDF file to the files section soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pdf version vould be nice allso. It would be easier to print the cards :-)
Nice to see new sceanarios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:

+1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:

+2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All done. Sorry for the wait.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/70230/feonixs-custom-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1A: Dol Guldur whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feonix wrote:

Great - thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonas21 wrote:
1A: Dol Guldur whistle

D'oh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, so everybody knows, I've begun working on my next scenario, entitled "The Bandits of Chetwood North". I'm really excited, because this scenario will be more than just a couple quest cards - it's going to be a complete scenario, with its own encounter deck and everything! I have a lot of the cards done (big thanks to GeckoTH for the templates I'm using), I just wanted to mention this so I could get some feedback. The big problem is, of course, since these are custom-made cards, integrating them into a normal encounter deck might be problematic. What I mean exactly is, in order to play my next scenario, you're going to need enough sleeves with opaque colored backs for an entire encounter deck. Otherwise, it will be too easy to tell the custom-printed cards from the real cards! Hopefully this isn't a huge problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just played the scenario solo and found it well balanced and enjoyable. Thanks for a fine piece of work!

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.