Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with Strong Primordial Ooze last night and were confused about the 0/5 rule, where if there are no other creatures your creature is 0 strength and 5 defense... The cards says that the Ooze can copy any other creature in play, however you only need to copy another creature when you are attacked or attacking, so when would you ever use the 0/5 rule?

The only thing I can think of is that the card says you can change the Ooze once per player's turn... So, can I use the 0/5 rule RIGHT BEFORE the first other creature is put into play to immediately have a defense of 5 instead of being forced to copy one of the creatures being put into play?

(I appreciate all interpretations and discussion of this card, but would also really love to have an official response from Mike or Eric or WizKids)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Holliday
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the augment when we played over the weekend.

What we decided is that the ooze changed at the beginning of each players attack, and the only time you used the o/5 was when it was cast. It can't copy any of your creatures only your opponents creatures.

If you can change at anytime then; when you play it, copy something with a lot of power (if an opponent has something) then as soon as someone scores their creatures, then you can change it to the 0/5 (if no one else has a creature in play) It seems really broken especially in a two player game, I mean 'dragon creature' broken! Lol!shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation: you set the ooze when you cast it and then can reset it once during each other player's turn. You choose when that is. The 0/5 only comes into play if there are no other creatures in play when you choose to set/reset your ooze.

So copying a dragon when you first cast the ooze and then changing it to a defender during an opponent's turn is perfectly valid (and the point of the creature). You can not choose 0/5 however unless there are no other creatures on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Best case scenario I can think of is that you summon the Ooze with no other creatures in play, it's a 0/5. Changing the creature it copies is always optional, so it would stay a 0/5 until you CHOOSE to change it. If my opponent then summons a Goblin, I'm not going to choose to change it, because it wouldn't survive the attack, but leaving it as a 0/5 would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah hah! It's optional... I missed that.

I'm going with that one. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...however you only need to copy another creature when you are attacked or attacking, so when would you ever use the 0/5 rule?

One of the Death Spell's destroys a creature with 6 or less defense; that could make the ooze's defense matter when there aren't any other creatures in play.

Future expansions might add more dice like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an official answer:

"Q) How does the Strong Primordial Ooze work (the one that copies other creatures)

A) When the ooze enters the Ready area (by any means) - you must copy a creature in an opponents' area, if able. It copies another creature exactly including its glory (the 2 Glory is there only if there are no other creatures to copy). If the copied creature then goes away it does not impact the ooze as it remains the creature it copied. Attached spells are not copied. An ooze can copy an ooze that copied another creature (and thus becomes that originally copied creature). Once it has copied a creature it cannot shift back to just an ooze (unless it’s copying another "plain" ooze in an opponents' ready area). Spells or affects that return the Ooze to the ready area make the ooze have to copy a new creature or be 0/5. Once in the used pile (after all scoring/spell affects have occurred) or if you roll/reroll the die and immediate affects are resolved it loses all memory of previous states.

If the ooze has copied a creature (like the ghostly spirits) that have an ability that continues after it is destroyed it remains a copy of that creature until it is returned to the ready area, used pile or rolled and any immediate affects resolved of the creature it was copying (Ex. an Ooze has copied a Mighty Ghostly Spirit. It is destroyed. Once you destroy a creature you roll the copied Mighty Ghostly Spirit and either add it to your ready area or used pile, after this point it is an “ooze” die with no memory of what came before)." - Source

So in other words, the only time you'll ever have a 0/5 2 glory Ooze is if you summon it while no other creatures exist or you choose to copy an existing 0/5 Ooze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.