Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am really enjoying the Mirkwood story that is currently running though this game. I think the atmosphere of LOTR pre-Fellowship is really well captured, and the cards and deckbuilding have made each quest and deck a different experience. This is my first foray into an LCG and card collecting/deck building in general and I really enjoy the experience each time I play, solo or co-op (although there have been many crushing defeats).

My question to everyone is what story arcs would you like to see after the end of this one? With Mirkwood due to end in November and the possibility of a big box expansion at the end of it, what type of story would you like to play?

For me, I would like to take on something set during the first War of the Ring. A similar style of quest spread across six adventure packs, building up your deck and learning the new cards before facing an epic battle with Sauron on the slopes of Mt. Doom. I could get very excited about this. Two problems however, most of the heroes and cards from the core and adventure sets would be thematically out of place and with Sauron being the daddy, would FFG want to shoot their load so soon into the game's life span? I'm not so sure. I would love to see this scenario, I'm not sure how they would do it.

What would others like to see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennan Ward
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Angry Joe Show Army
badge
Hot sauce is life
mbmbmbmbmb
If they were to do something like that they could always release another bigger set like the three that Warhammer has gotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is the huge battle in the North around the Lonely Mountain during the War of the Ring. Much like hunting down Gollum it is an interesting event (or series of events) that is only touched on lightly in the books so is ripe for new ideas from the FFG team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stepen Street
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
After Mirkwood I'd imagine they'd want to follow with something else readily familiar to the casual hobbit-fancier. If forced to guess, I would suggest another geographically-themed sequence down through the Misty Mountains, taking in Goblin town (presumably the Wargs and Goblins will be especially mistrustful after Bilbo's visit), stopping off in Lorien, maybe Moria or something Moria-like, if they don't wish to adhere too slavishly to the canon. However, I think Moria would make sense - there's an opportunity to tell the story of the doomed dwarven attempt to retake it - I believe that broadly fits the time-frame they are attempting to appropriate.

I imagine with subsequent packs they'd be tempted to flesh out the Dragony areas up in the north, maybe the Witch King's seat at Angmar (or wherever).

They won't be able to keep out of Mordor either. There will be stuff to do in the west, especially around the Shire, because this is explicitly mentioned in the LoTR (I think there's stuff about rangers and even treefolk being abroad round the Shire at the beginning when Frodo's still a stay at home nobody).

Then, as time goes on they are going to be forced to flesh out the lands to the far South and East I would imagine - all those evil foreign horselords, Southrons, Easterlings and the rest.

However, what I'd really like to see is something that relies less on geography but more character and character development as a hook. Foremost, I'm drooling over the prospect of a sequence that deals with the turning of Saruman in a thoughtful way - that is, starting with him as an ally, even a hero, then as the sequence wears on, having him become... problematic, but remain necessary for adventuring success. Maybe it could culminate with his explicit corruption, or maybe it would be more satisfying if he left more of a hanging question mark.

That would be sexy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's lots of fertile ground just between "The Hobbit" and "Fellowship of the Ring." I'd love to see a "Moria cycle" that covers Balin's attempt to recolonize Moria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that there would be a good deal of storytelling available in the south with Gondor fighting against the Haradrim or the Corsairs of Umbar. Somebody else already suggested Angmar. That quest might also include the Ice Bay of Forochel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thread! Here are a few ideas I've thought about when considering the books:

1) A story arc around Tom Bombadil, who was left out of the movies. It might be interesting to have 1-2 quests related to A) exploring whether Tom would be an ally in the upcoming battles, and 2) helping Tom keep out certain creatures who have come to his forest, poisoning the area (and weakening him in some way).

2) A search for the Ents - I suppose this would be similar to the hunt for Gollum, but perhaps Gandalf sends heroes on a quest to seek out the Ents, to warn them of the impending war. What could be included is a counter-quest required by the Ents to search for the Ent-wives.

3) Trouble in Moria - pretty self explanatory, but perhaps the problems in Moria warrant a quest by heroes to determine what is going on there.

4) Someone mentioned how the land of Sauron is ripe for exploration in this game, I agree. I also think "The South," where many of Sauron's allies came from in the siege of Minas Tirith, would also be up for many story lines - scouting, seeking out allies, sabotage, etc.

Anyway, I've been looking for a reason to go ahead and read the books yet again. This would be a good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do FFG's lotro license restrict their use only for quests thats not in the mainline of lotro books? maybe only the fringe incidents like the hunt of gollum, the battle in lorien and mirkwood, river isen battle, battle in dale?

perhaps the return of dwarves to moria aftrr balrog' demise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I want to see more about the battle at Osgiliath, the "Massing" expansion only warns about the incoming invasion, there could be more expansions where you participate in the battle (especially with Boromir as a hero soon).

The other thing I'm excited about is a guarding the shire series which could have, as the climax, a fight against the Ringwraiths to hold the bridge at Tharbad or where ever it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
extrememedium wrote:
However, what I'd really like to see is something that relies less on geography but more character and character development as a hook. Foremost, I'm drooling over the prospect of a sequence that deals with the turning of Saruman in a thoughtful way - that is, starting with him as an ally, even a hero, then as the sequence wears on, having him become... problematic, but remain necessary for adventuring success. Maybe it could culminate with his explicit corruption, or maybe it would be more satisfying if he left more of a hanging question mark.

That would be sexy.

Yes, that is a great story line to explore. Can involve the Dunlendings and some of the Woses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.