Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Olson
United States
Troy
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought a print and play copy of Fealty to my weekly game night, and it was a huge hit! Out of a whole weekend of games it stands out as one of the best experiences.

The game is very simple to teach so there wasn't a huge learning curve. The goal is to have the most "influence" on the a board that is made up of modular "duchies." These boards are 6x6 grids of various terrain features that affect how influence can be spread.

Each player has 9 pieces numbered 10-90 in multiples of 10. These pieces are represented by cards, and on each turn each player reveals a card of their choice from a hand of three. Players then get to place the corresponding pieces in ascending order, with ties broken by a sort of "first player" token.

The low numbered pieces get to place first, but higher pieces are much more powerful and spread more influence. Therein lies the first mind bending decision of the game. Do you want to play a low card and beat other players to the punch, or a high card to grab the biggest swath of the map. Going first not only gives you prime choice on real estate, but no other player is allowed to place a piece in the same duchy board this turn. However, you won't have much influence at all if you don't use the higher cards, which often cover three times the territory of the faster pieces.

Then there is the wonderful back and forth of piece placement itself. The card timing not only matters at the time the card is played, but carries through to the end game scoring. Once 8 pieces have been placed by all players, the scoring phase begins, and each piece claims a certain spread of influence; again, in ascending order. The best way to picture it is as if the pieces were fireworks, exploding sequentially and covering more and more of the board.

The trick is, a puny card like a knight can put a real wrench in a baron's spread of influence. Influence cannot move through other players pieces, or other players existing influence. A well placed Knight can corner a better pieces and stop the spread of influence cold in its tracks.

Add to that the fact that certain pieces only claim certain types of terrain, and the subtle but powerful special abilities of each piece, and you have a fantastic gem that plays in well under an hour.

It also has that wonderful feeling of wanting to play again right away to change that ONE decision that would have made the difference.

I know there have been some amazing kickstarter success stories lately (congrats to Glory to Rome and Flash Point: Fire Rescue!) but I can't help but feel like this gem deserves more attention. There are no crazy bonuses for kickstarting now, but one thing you CAN do is print out a copy and give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I just finished building the PnP version, but I haven't had a chance to play yet, so this makes me even more anxious to give it a try. I uploaded a few pics of my Fealty PnP project to the Fealty gallery starting here... http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1072202/fealty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.