Subject: Flicking Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when player 1's ship rams player 2's ship and then that ship ends of knocking one of player 2's other ships off the board. Technically, the first ship struck is the one destroyed, I think, so normally the second ship wouldn't be destroyed. But if it's off the board, then what?

Put another way, if ship A rams ship B and ship C (regardless of who owns it) ends up being knocked off the board in the process, what happens to ship C?

(We ended up just saying the second ship that got knocked off the board was the one that ended up being destroyed just to keep things moving...)

Seven plays in, and the game keeps getting better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since a ship that is hit from a richochet on ram is left where it ends it's movement, we've been playing that starships knocked off the board this way are lost in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Since a ship that is hit from a richochet on ram is left where it ends it's movement, we've been playing that starships knocked off the board this way are lost in space.

That's what we've assumed as well. We've actually used it as a tactic as well ... attempting to knock multiple enemy ships off the board with one flick.

It doesn't always work out so well though. One time I was trying this and I flicked my ship so hard it took flight, sailed right over the target ships, and knocked some troops off of a nearby planet before landing on the living room carpet. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up for us in our first game - BlueA and BlueB were blockading Red's planet, with BlueC heading over within one turn to destroy the planet.

RedA hit BlueA to ram and remove from blockade, BlueB was also in the blockade and was bumped by BlueA out of orbit, ending the blockade. Good shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dennett
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win, don't care if you lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of nights ago I had friends over for board games, and 4 of them played Ascending Empires. I was at the other end of the table playing another game while I got repeatedly pelted by flying starships. They had all developed the tactic of, when faced with two enemy ships near each other, to flick at them as hard as possible with the hope of knocking the second ship clear off the board. They did this no less than 6 times during their game. This resulted in several all-hands-on-deck searches for missing ships, and this can't be good for the pieces themselves.

To me this is not only bad from a gameplay perspective, but it also breaks the with the spirit of the ramming rules (IMO). It also makes me not want to bring the game out if it's going to happen again (the only time I've personally played it we didn't resort to this).

Some suggested house rules we came up with after the game:
1) The person with a lost ship due to an opponents ricochet can place it in orbit around any planet they control (as if launched).
2) Same as #1 but also include any planet controlled by the person who knocked it off (more punitive and actually make it always a disadvantage to do this).
3) Attempt to replace the lost ship(s) back to their approximate locations before being rammed.

I'm leaning towards #2, personally. #3 seems problematic. The only negative I heard when discussing #1 was that it allowed a players action to potentially help the rammed player against a separate opponent. I'd argue the same could be done by simply re-positioning the ship via a ricochet.

Anyone else have any house rules to deal with this? Or am I just too uptight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor ├śksendal
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
What happens when player 1's ship rams player 2's ship and then that ship ends of knocking one of player 2's other ships off the board. Technically, the first ship struck is the one destroyed, I think, so normally the second ship wouldn't be destroyed. But if it's off the board, then what?

Put another way, if ship A rams ship B and ship C (regardless of who owns it) ends up being knocked off the board in the process, what happens to ship C?

(We ended up just saying the second ship that got knocked off the board was the one that ended up being destroyed just to keep things moving...)

According to Ian in the thread "Navigate/Ram":

Quote:
Any ship that leaves the board for any reason is lost in space and is returned to its owners supply.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/654498/navigate-ram

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.