Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
which wins? why? Whihc is is easy to teach, learn, fun to play, and has strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: TIchu vs MU and more ; High society vs For sale
I can't comment on Tichu and Mu, but I think For Sale is much better than High Society. For Sale is easier to learn, and High Society a rule where the person with the least money automatically loses. It's actually one of the interesting things about the game, but I don't think that would go over well with new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruprecht
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
And I can't comment on High Society or For Sale, but I don't think Tichu and Mu compete for the same space - if you have four, you play Tichu; if you have five, you play Mu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I like High Society quite a bit better than For Sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
My family all fell for Gang of Four--it's easy to teach and is an interesting hand management card game. If they take to it but wish for something with more bite (strategy and rules-wise), then move them up to Tichu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
i heard that gang of four is just like BIg 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the game page, Ryan. There's a link to Big Two rules and variants. A big difference is Gang of Four only uses 3 suits (colors), but it also includes special cards: Dragon and Yellow and Green Phoenix, and of course the mighty Gang of Four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
i bought for sale..it looks really good wiht the 2 bidding thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
i bought for sale..it looks really good wiht the 2 bidding thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akke Monasso
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Tichu vs Mu: The rulebook of Mu is much better, making it easier to grasp, although it's a more complicated game. The game also offers more options.
For Salevs High Society: High Society is simply more exciting because the choices are more agonising. Both are very easy to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 wrote:
i heard that gang of four is just like BIg 2

Gang of Four is basically Big Two (Choh Dai Di) with a non standard deck, 4 special cards and the gang of four rule itself (a set of four or more of a kind beats anything). I don't like the scoring mechanism in Gang of Four or Big Two. Both games beat down heavily on the losing player and give massive advantages to the winner so are as such not fun for new players who have little chance of winning. I much prefer the scoring of Zheng Fen, Zheng Shangyou and Tichu. These three games use the same basic game mechanics but have nicer rules.

Mu is quite different in that it is a trick taking game not a climbing game. It can also take 4-6 players unlike Tichu 4 or 6 (better with 4) and Gang of Four which takes only 4. Mu uses shifting patnerships which I think is very nice. I like the other games that come with Mu as well especially the Last Panther which is a good game for 3 players.

I've never played High Society but I do like For Sale a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Gang of Four I found completely uninteresting, and wouldn't play again.

Tichu wasn't awful, but didn't make me want to play further either. I believe that climbing games are best if played on an individual rather than partnership basis; I far prefer Great Dalmuti, for this reason.

Mü is a very good game. It's not as deep as Bridge, but it is the best 5 player trick taking game around. (Best for 3: Schaeppchen Jagd. Best for 4: Bridge. Best for 5: Mü. Best for 6: Sextet.)

For Sale remains the best filler available IMHO. Only King's Breakfast and Geschenkt are close.

High Society is a good filler, but suffers from relying upon hidden trackable data (player's monetary holdings).

I own the last three. I might play Tichu if my arm were twisted reasonably hard. I wouldn't play Gang of Four unless I couldn't reasonably escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I agree with one of the previous posters: Mü and Tichu are best with different numbers of players (five and four respectively), and therefore aren't very comparible.

As for the battle of the fillers, count me in the For Sale camp. high Society is good, but I find For Sale more engaging and especially now that it's much easier to acquire, a better game for non-gamers... Plus, newbies can really screw up a High Society game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mu is very good for 5 and plays 4 reasonably well. The bidding and trying to get chosen as a partner (or not) is a cool mechanism. The box also contains rules for other games. The artwork is great! Highly recommended.
Tichu is a good. Best with players of equal experience.
Gang of four I wouldn't recommend unless you have players that aren't very good at card games.
Joe mentioned Schnappen Jagd which I have played once seems good but I wasn't sure we were plaing by the right rules. I would also mention Flaschenteufel if you don't have that, very good trick taking game for 3-4 and Sticheln both of which are very evil devil
I think I would go with 4 sale ove high society as a quick filler as well.
Have fun, these are all great games except for Go4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
thanks for all your replies. I got For sale. SO hopefully the elderly would enjoy this. I like the 2 bidding in this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game collection isn't very big, but oddly, I actually own all 5 of these. So, my thoughts....

Tichu -- Well, I am biased. This is my favorite game, bar none. I am totally addicted. Luck of the draw can be largely overcome by shrewd gameplay and an intuitive sense of timing.

Mu -- Only played once, with 4 other newbies. We reacted positively to it, and agreed it is a game we would try again, but it hasn't happened yet.

& Mehr -- I have played Safaru many, many times, usually as a 2-player, but occasionally as a 3-player too. Definitely got my money's worth on that one alone.

Gang of Four -- Beautiful cards. Never played it because when I read the rules, it looks like Vegetarian Tichu (it has no meat). I have played Choi Dai Di/The Big Two, and found it ordinary, lacking the features that make Tichu exciting. For fans of Old Maid, I guess.

For Sale -- Simple rules, loads of fun. A definite thumbs-up in my group. I prefer playing with 4-5 players. 6 works great too, but with 6 all of the cards are in play, and I just prefer the uncertainty you get when a couple of cards are not in the mix.

High Society -- A sibling to For Sale in many respects. I love this one too. Not knowing quite when the game will end is cool, and the "poorest player loses" rule is absolutely essential.

For me, 4 of 5 are must haves -- "if I lost my copy I would replace it" -- and all 4 put together would only cost you about $40 online. You can hardly go wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, Tichu is great for 4 (and 6) players. I have had success teaching this to family, friends, and co-workers. Anyone who has played Great Dalmuti or Frank's Zoo and is ready to advance to something basically similar but with much more strategic partnership play should give Tichu a look. I usually teach the game to newbies first without the four special cards, then add them in once the basic card play is understood. Some things I really like about Tichu include the initial card passing, the go-for-broke "Grand Tichu" when you fall desperately behind, and the use of bombs to foil someone's otherwise perfect plan of going out first.

may have less universal appeal than Tichu, but is a favorite among "gamers" looking for a meaty trick-taking game. I haven't had much success getting family and casual gamers excited about Mü, but the game was a HUGE hit with my co-workers for our lunch time activity. Anyone with any background in card games such as Rook, Wizard, Hearts, Pinochle, Bridge, etc. will likely love Mü. My experience is that most first time Mü players are in a fog about the two trump system for a couple of games. Once the fog lifts, the fun begins. I figured we played well over 200 games of Mü and seemed to find new strategies all the time. For me, the bidding phase is every bit as fun as the card-playing phase. But the bidding really doesn't reach its full potential until most of the players have several games of experience. An experienced player can take a lousy-looking hand and turn it into something special (e.g. making zeroes top trump).

99.9% of Mü players say that it plays best with 5 players. I represent the 0.1% of Mü players (the other portion of that 0.1% are members of my gaming group) who say that Mü plays best with 6 players. For more information why I say that, see this thread on rec.games.board:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.board/browse_t...

Anyway, Mü is a great game with 4, 5, or 6 players.

With Tichu and Mü priced at about $10 each, I see no reason to agonize over which to buy. Get them both. I have never played Gang of Four so can't help you there.

Now between For Sale and High Society, For Sale seems to be the favorite in my circle of friends. For Sale is the type of game that can be played over and over and over. A group of 18xx players once played this for two hours straight as a "cool down" activity after a long game. Certainly For Sale is the better game with young family members. My kids all love it. It doesn't seem nearly as cut-throat a game as does High Society.

To play High Society well requires much more thought than is required to play For Sale well. So maybe for some, the payoff for winning a game of High Society would be greater than winning a 20 minute game of For Sale.

Though I prefer For Sale, I must once again suggest that you add both games to your collection.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.