Subject: 'The Resistance' + 'Are You The Traitor?' Varient rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr X
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
Here's my attempt at merging these two great games together. Let me be clear that what I wrote below is just the first draft. Input from others is always welcome and may make a more coherent or fair game.

The game of Resistance is played normally with the exception that the Plot Cards are not used.

Every player has an individual role. Because of this; the Resistance shifts from a team win-lose condition to an individual win-lose condition. However, when a faction wins at a mission; all players of that faction score a point.

The player with the most points wins. There may be multiple winners.

The roles are the same as those in AYTT? Except with different names, of course. For example, instead of trying to hand a key to a wizard, as in AYTT?, an operative might be trying to give DNA identification of a spy to one of the two "Handlers" who have the necessary contact information to rely the DNA to a mysterious spy master.

If a player believes they know the role of the player their character is hunting; he or she may "kill" that player. This is done by the killer publicly announcing they are killing that character. The person killed immediately reveals their true role (and thereby allegiance); and is then out of the game.

The killer then writes down the name of the person they have killed. At the end of the game, everyone reveals their true roles; and if you killed the correct (and only the correct) person that your role was hunting; you get a point; otherwise you lose a point.

For example, lets say the Evil Wizard (AYTT term) kills a Guard (whom is a good guy). The guard is publicly killed, and everyone knows which player killed him or her. At the end of the game; everyone reveals their roles.

In this way everyone can determine that the person who killed the Guard was the Evil Wizard. Even though the Evil Wizard and Guard were on opposing teams; because the Evil Wizard should have only killed the Key Holder; the Evil Wizard loses a point (they killed the wrong guy).

Because completing missions still issue points; it's in everyone's best interest to work together with their fellow team mates (if they can determine who they are). In addition because you get penalized for killing the "wrong guy", it's in your best interest to stick to your target and not just kill off the opposing team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Errrr, what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this overly complicates matters.
Also it adds player elimination. Not having player elimination is what I like best about this game over werewolf.

But, you could give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
Errrr, what?

Seconded.

Could you give us an example of 6 roles, and what a turn would look like? Because right now it seems like you scrambled together reviews of three games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, agree. I would like you to write a document as if you were describing every single detail of the game, so we can understand it. Cause it sounds interesting, sorta, but your description requires too much work on my part to fill in the gaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr X
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
Quote:
Could you give us an example of 6 roles, and what a turn would look like?

Certainly. I apologize for the lack of explanation dealing with the 'Are You a Traitor?' end of the game. I assumed everyone knew how to play that game.

The premise of the AYTT? game (for five players) goes something like this:

One of the players (I'll call him or her the "DNA Holder") was secretly given DNA evidence (we'll say by a third party--perhaps a defector of the tyrannical government). This DNA, if given to the right people, will reveal the identity of one of the spies. This is very good for the Resistance (as they'll find out whom among them is a spy), but bad for the spies (as the spy in question will surely 'disappear').

There's a problem, however. This 'DNA Holder' doesn't know who to trust, and who may be a spy. It is publicly known that two of the other players are, we'll call them, 'Handlers'.

Handlers are two players who have a means of communicating with the Resistance cell's mysterious puppet master. Whoever this puppet master is; they are a very power and wealthy figure that have the means of making problems (such as recently compromised spies) disappear.

If the DNA Holder can give the DNA evidence to one of the Handlers; they will then relay that critical information to the Puppet Master. But once again there's a problem; one of the Handlers is a spy. The other Handler is good (a part of the Resistance). Who does the DNA Holder trust?

Powerful evidence such as DNA of a spy doesn't stay secret long. Rumors are already spreading amongst the Resistance. The good Handler wants to seek out and find this DNA Holder so that he or she can assist them in relaying the DNA to the Puppet Master.

However, the evil Handler is also seeking out and trying to find the DNA holder. If he or she figures out who has the DNA, they will surely kill that individual and destroy the evidence. Because of this, the DNA holder must keep their role secret.

Who to trust? Who to trust?

Meanwhile; in a five player game, there is ANOTHER spy amongst the ranks. He or she plays as a normal spy; trying to sabotage the missions and spread uncertainty amongst the ranks.

This OTHER spy (we'll call him the 'Traitor') is not safe, either however. The fifth cell member (we'll call him or her the 'Hunter') is suspicious of another spy and is actively hunting the Traitor. If the Hunter figures out who the Traitor is; they will certainly destroy them. Likewise the good Handler is also willing to kill the Traitor.

All in all; the five cell members must work together to determine who goes on missions and try to complete the missions. However, everyone is suspicious of someone else and desperately trying to determine their true colors.

Here's the responsibilities of everyone's role:

DNA Holder
* Figure out which of the Handlers is the good one and pass the DNA to him.
* Be careful not to identify yourself to the evil Handler through too eager handler-hunting.
* Help the Hunter and good Handler to figure out who the Traitor is (but again, without identifying yourself to the evil Handler).
* Not much else to do, but too much silence will betray you as the DNA Holder.

Good Handler
* Convince the other players (particularly the DNA Holder, if you figure out who that is) you're the good Handler.
* Figure out who is the Traitor, and destroy him.

Evil Handler
* Convince the other players you're the good Handler, and try to trick the DNA Holder into passing the DNA to you.
* Figure out who is the DNA Holder, and destroy him.

Spy Hunter
* Help the DNA Holder to figure out which is the good Handler.
* Figure out who is the Traitor, and destroy him.
* No one is trying to catch you, so you can be fairly straightforward about your role, but be somewhat careful that you're not helping the spy players deduce who is the DNA Holder by process of elimination.

Traitor
* Try to trick the DNA Holder into picking the evil Handler.
* Help the evil Handler identify the DNA Holder.
* Try to mislead the Spy Hunter and good Handler to destroy one of the good guys by mistake.
* Avoid being identified as the Traitor.

The turns would look the same as a normal game of The Resistance. The only subtle difference is that everyone has roles they cater too. If you reveal your role; you may be eliminated or, for example, pass the DNA evidence to the wrong person. Additionally if you think you've found the person you are hunting, you may opt to "kill" them. If it was the right person then you score a point otherwise you'd lose a point.

This variant is suppose to add a whole new layer of subtly and intrigue on top of the normal Resistance mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for fleshing that out. Except from allowing individuals the opportunity to score from early guesses, I don't really see how it's any different from the base game. It seems alot of overhead in rules explanation for a rather minor change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
Thanks for fleshing that out. Except from allowing individuals the opportunity to score from early guesses, I don't really see how it's any different from the base game. It seems alot of overhead in rules explanation for a rather minor change.

Yeah, it feels like you just insert another game into the discussion round.
Likewise, you can play AYTT during Carcassonne, or Dixit or what not, and it didn't add anything to the core game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petter W
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
When I first read this it sounded pretty cool.

But then I started thinking.

In, e.g., a 5 player game - why would not the spies immediately kill one of the good guys? BAM - spies win.

And if during the 2 2-player show downs, a spy identifies himself [to the non-spy that also went on the mission], why would not the good guy kill the spy straight up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr X
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
Petter,

Each player has a role. That role can only hunt down and destroy a role that they were tasked with hunting. For example, the Evil Handler can ONLY hunt down and destroy the DNA Holder. S/he cannot destroy the Good Handler nor Spy Hunter.

If the Evil Handler "accidentally" destroyed a role that they were not hunting; they would lose a point (equivalent to losing a mission).

In other words, just because a player is on the opposing team does NOT mean you can destroy them.

This expansion rewards players for deducing other's roles; not their allegiances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr X
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
Here's the team composition for a four player game:

The Resistance Roles
* 2 x Resistance
* 1 x Spy
* 1 x Sympathizer (see here)

Traitor Roles
* 1 x Holder
* 1 x Good Handler
* 1 x Evil Handler
* 1 x Traitor

The Evil Handler and Traitor roles would be randomly selected between the Spy and the Sympathizer. This means you may have one of two combinations:

A) Spy-Handler & Sympathizer-Traitor

OR

B) Sympathizer-Handler & Spy-Traitor

A Spy-Handler would have the power to sabotage a mission (spy), as well as hunt and destroy the Holder (handler). A Sympathizer-traitor would act like a normal Resistance rules-wise (sympathizer), but seek out and help the Evil Handler to win (traitor).

A sympathizer-handler would act like a normal Resistance rules-wise (sympathizer), but seek out and help the Spy to win. In addition they would have the power to hunt and destroy the Holder (handler). A spy-traitor would have the power to sabotage missions (spy) and help the Evil Handler to win (traitor).

The Holder is trying to figure out which of the Handlers to trust. The Good Handler is trying to figure out who is the Holder and convince them to trust them; as well as hunt down and destroy the Traitor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
it would be far more interesting if you played these to work out the bugs and then give an update on a flushed out scenario that worked.

Given your descriptions I find it very hard to imagine how it could be played without revealing secret identities, and/or vastly throwing balance out of whack with a broken logical path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By mixing individual point scoring into the game, you'll put players into situations where they are on the same side as a leader and can't get ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr X
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
I realized there is a conflict of interest with making the game an individual point system. No worries; it is just as easy to assign the points as a team rather an individual. I'll be making an update soon to cover all the wrinkles worked out.

Good eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.