Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like every time I go back to Passage Through Mirkwood after a dozen or so plays of the "harder" quests, I lose the first one or two attempts. Scratch that--I don't just lose, I get destroyed!

Then, like the glutton for punishment I am, I set up another game in frustration--for revenge! Cursing through the first few rounds, it's not long before I notice I'm the one doing the ass kicking. I go on to win the day by a landslide. And again. And perhaps again (should I feel the need to verify it wasn't a fluke or have a little more time to kill).

What. The. Hell?

I don't know if it's my underestimating the quest after (easily) defeating the tougher ones multiple times. Or if it's me forgetting the proper "play style" of this quest. Or if it's just plain old bad luck, coincidentally for the first couple of games (I always seem to draw the worst cards the first few times; poor shuffling after bringing the proper encounter sets back together?)

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Honestly, when it comes to Mirkwood, especially solo, you have to be somewhat lucky in the opening rounds to avoid an eventual defeat; can't be drawing a King Spider/Forest Spiders (or worse) during the first Quest phase (you have no idea how many times this has happened to me).

I know a lot of people have argued this for all of the quests, and frankly it's true, to a degree, but it shows all the more in Mirkwood--mostly due, I'm sure, to its small encounter deck filled with cards that can be devastating to players in the early game (things like Forest Spiders, King Spider, Dol Guldur Orcs, Caught in a Web, etc. are less intimidating when you've got some allies backing you up).

Oh well. Can't really complain, because after surviving the first few rounds, I find that it's only a matter of time before I achieve an easy win.

Thanks for reading my boredom rant. Goodnight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirkwood used to really hand it to me when I was using the starter decks. So I built a couple decks and started cruising through Mirkwood. I was having some issues with Anduin so I stepped back to win a few at Mirkwood again (you know, get my confidence back up) and had the most unluckiest draws imaginable. Still won...but man was the score horrible.

Tuned the decks around a bit and so far haven't had any more trouble at all with Mirkwood...yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clarke
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reassured with your post.

I see so many posts with people going on how 'easy' this game is, and never found that to be the case in my own experience. If I were playing a game where I won all the time, I would soon lose interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
The MIrkwood encounter deck has a very high percentage of low engagement cost enemies. Eleven out of the 36 cards are enemies that have an engagement cost of 25 or less. Anduin, OTOH has only 9 in a deck of 47 cards. What's more, in Mirkwood, you are assured of having at least one such enemy in the staging area on your first turn.

Many decks have a very hard time dealing with an early string of low engagement cost enemies in the first few turns. I think the powerful multi-sphere decks might have even more difficulty because you often only get one resource per sphere per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmagpieman wrote:
I'm reassured with your post.

I see so many posts with people going on how 'easy' this game is, and never found that to be the case in my own experience. If I were playing a game where I won all the time, I would soon lose interest.
Agreed.

BitJam wrote:
The MIrkwood encounter deck has a very high percentage of low engagement cost enemies. Eleven out of the 36 cards are enemies that have an engagement cost of 25 or less. Anduin, OTOH has only 9 in a deck of 47 cards. What's more, in Mirkwood, you are assured of having at least one such enemy in the staging area on your first turn.

Many decks have a very hard time dealing with an early string of low engagement cost enemies in the first few turns. I think the powerful multi-sphere decks might have even more difficulty because you often only get one resource per sphere per turn.
Oftentimes, it might be better not to quest at all for the first time and take the hit to your Threat level, just to make sure you can kill that damned Spider (stupid 4 HP *shakes fist*). Of course, this could end up screwing you in the end, and, in the end, you won't get as good a score had you taken a risk with questing. High risk yields high rewards, as they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i got mauled a lot of times in this scenario..

using tactis solo , mauled
using leadership solo, mauled
using spirit solo, mauled
using tactis and leadership (6 hero total) , massacred
using lore and spirit (6 hero total) , success for 1st time
using spirit and leadership (6 hero total) , success with skin on my teeth..

thats how hard this scenario is in my opinion as a new player..

im going to reuse tactic and combine it with spirit.. it seem spirit and lore is very powerful.. unless i do something wrong lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness it's not just me. My first play was a few months ago two player-- a friend of mine had bought it and invited me to try it out with him. We beat Mirkwood fairly handily.

Then I bought my own copy and the four released expansion packs. Tried out solo three times last night:

Game 1 (Leadership sphere) -- Bitch-slapped, best not to talk about it as I am still traumatized.
Game 2 (Leadership sphere again) -- Once more bitch-slapped.
Game 3 (Spirit sphere) -- Beaten but at least got a few hits on Ungoliant.

If this is Difficulty 1, I can't help but think I'm toast with anything higher. I'm having great fun, but wow am I a bad commander for the Free Peoples!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.