Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave H
msg tools
mb
The instruction booklet says,

Lose One Action Of Your Turn...this card counts as one action
of your turn when played.
Oops! You've Been Waylaid. No Clue Here...this is an absolute-
ly useless card! Just play it and count it as one action of your turn.
Remember, each search card you play counts as one action of your turn!

To me, this always meant that these 2 cards had identically the same function, and that they might as well have been the same card. IE: They were both simply a waste of an action of your turn.

But I've recently read something online that suggests that the Lose One Action card counts as one action to play, and then it also results in the loss of an additional action.

This never occured to me or my family before, and I do like the idea, just for the sake of letting the cards have different functions, but this cannot be practically done, because what would happen if you played that card as the last action of your turn? There's 3 possibilities, none of which are discussed in the rules...

If the card was played last, you would either have to:
1. ignore the penalty (meaning there would be no reason to play the card at any other time),
2. carry the penalty over to your next turn,
3. not allow the card to be played for the last action.

So, I really don't think that the instructions provide for this idea of the loss of an additional action when playing that card, and I still believe that these 2 cards were created with exactly the same function. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Trimboli
United States
Oyster Bay
New York
flag msg tools
mb
The point of the cards is to keep them in your hand in the hopes that when players steal your cards they steal the useless ones.

There are two different kinds of useless cards because one is a search card and the other is a clue card.

I don't think either card is meant to make you lose an additional turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paris
msg tools
I recently dusted off this game for the first time in nearly 20 years and was also confused as to the function of these "negative" search cards. I wasn't sure if they had to be played immediately as soon as you drew one from the pile or if they were saved in your hand for later when someone tries to steal one of your cards. Or perhaps you use them up to make room for new search cards?

In the end though everyone seems to have these crappy search cards in their hand that they can't get rid of.

Other than that though, I think it's still a cool game that really holds up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burr
msg tools
When me and my family played the game, we used these cards as a means to get new search cards, since every one used gets replenished. Of course, we burned one of our three actions in doing this, but it seemed to be worth it to get a better search card.

Any thoughts on whether this is acceptable or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.