Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by this game, but curious whether it's good for wargamers or just a great adaptation of Euro mechanisms to a war. I have generally liked those Wallace games I've played in the past, though I probably have WANTED to like them out of respect for the designs more than I've actually liked them. But I haven't played all that many of his games.

So, if I like Hannibal, War of the Ring, and Paths of Glory but don't like Twilight Struggle, Ascension, or Dominion, will I like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
I simply walk into Mordor.
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
I'm intrigued by this game, but curious whether it's good for wargamers or just a great adaptation of Euro mechanisms to a war. I have generally liked those Wallace games I've played in the past, though I probably have WANTED to like them out of respect for the designs more than I've actually liked them. But I haven't played all that many of his games.

So, if I like Hannibal, War of the Ring, and Paths of Glory but don't like Twilight Struggle, Ascension, or Dominion, will I like this?

Of those six games you list, I like Hannibal and War of the Ring, and don't like the rest. And I love A Few Acres of Snow! It's not a pure wargame, no - it covers eighty years, and involves a lot of settlement. But there's enough conflict to interest a wargamer, yes.

But as always, in cases of doubt, see if you can try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite mutch war of the ring, I dont think that this is a game like it.

But since you like Dominion, and you like war games where you maneuver around a map, I think you'll like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like Dominion-like aspects, you probably won't like this game. Lots of hand management, and the conflict is not a case of moving units, but moving and expanding settlements.

I think it's a great game though, and if you like Card-driven games there may be aspects you like, and the way the cards simulate the vagaries of supplying a struggle a continent away works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend loves Hannibal and loves Acres.

I love Twilight Struggle and love Acres.

I dislike Dominion and, despite this, love Acres.

Your tastes may vary. Try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmb

I have a pretty allergic reaction to euros (see collection) and like this game. I think the real genius has been to match the mechanisms to the history - e.g. it's much easier for the English to use naval power (ship cards) to influence sieges along the coast while the French, through their greater ability to make use of the Native Americans can cause a lot of problems through raiding and small scale skirmishes.

I'd unhesitatingly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:

I own and love the first three games, hate Ascension, but love twilight struggle and Dominion. I think PoG does the trick for you here - in PoG you really have to watch out for your deck of all card-driven wargames PoG is one of the most unforgiving games if you do NOT watch out for the cards in your deck. This effect is multiplied by A few Acres - you never have many cards in your deck, but you are constantly thinking about your deck and its structure - it really is a nail biter and I wholeheartly recommend this game to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much, everyone! Much appreciated. I will have to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Hannibal and Twilight Struggle and am so-so with Dominion (I'll play it if that's what everyone wants to do but won't suggest it), haven't played the others.

Only two plays in, I love A Few Acres of Snow. However, it's not really like any of the other games. It has a very different feel to Hannibal, Twilight Struggle and Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.