Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's a great idea BUT, it sounds like you should play with the same group every time so they are all familiar with the "history". I'm not sure new players will enjoy a game of this if it has been changed too significantly.

I will not be in the camp that destroys my cards (they will be baggied with notes) And I will also not be putting a permanent sticker on my board. Post-it notes will be seeing some of my business.

But the idea sound awesome, can't wait to give it awhirl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pastor_Mora wrote:

I have thrown dice out the window, into the fireplace, and even once, just once, smashed a cursed die that would only roll a 1 with a sledgehammer. 1 angry

I'm pretty sure I've done many things to the army chits also, including chewing them to death to cope with their defeat. yuk

I'll rip those cards if they don't serve their purpose in my grand strategy to take over the world, and I will enjoy it! I'll even light them up with a match to show my determination.

It must have been said somewhere by now, but this game gives all new meaning to the term "Ameritrash."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still can't figure out if I am going to love or hate this when I get my hands on it.

What I do love is the fact that the designer has taken one of the older games on the block and has decided to fly in the face of traditional gaming conventions. And more so, one of the more conservative game companies is supporting it.

It is a grand experiment. And I am willing to give it a try. It may crash and burn, but I think it is going to be a experience unlike any we have experienced before.

Congrats to Rob and Hasbro (I still can't believe they are supporting this idea) for such out of the box thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you imagine how many pictures of people ripping up cards will fill this game's image gallery?

I, for one, plan to light my cards on fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this is really exciting. Personally I am still feeling very anxious. I am fearful of 'ruining' the game. My first defense mechanism tells me to buy multiple copies.

Agghhhh, I am torn up inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello Maimone
Italy
Rimini
Emilia Romagna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that Hasbro was a company interested in making money without respect for good games and gamers..

I think i have to change my mind looking what they're doing...

It's really good to see a company with this potential, giving its efforts to develop great games and new concepts (and not always repeating same things only to get money).

As a lot of people did, i stopped to play Risk (and the italian version "RISIKO", that is even worse) when i discoverd the "new wave" games..but i want to try this one and give it a chance...

Maybe in the future we will challenge our friends telling them: beat me with MY copy of LEGACY if u can

Every copy will be different! A game that evolve and change like a living thing...

Ok..i'm starting to dreaming and, moreover, my english it's not so good, so it's better i stop to fly with my mind so i want only to tell this...

Thanks Rob...this game, even if no one have still played, it's already capable to make us dream...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello Maimone
Italy
Rimini
Emilia Romagna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Thing...

I think i will need TWO Copies of this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thrilled about this game, the idea is fantastic. But, is the core still Risk? Have the rules been tweaked to (initially) make it a better game? Base Risk is just .... not good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely brilliant!! Sounds to me like it could be one of the most exciting board game innovations in a very long time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting aside all the gushing over Chris and Rob, and the supposed "bravery" of Hasbro, it's all going to boil down to how much they are going to charge for it.

If I'm going to irreversibly alter my copy, I'm going to need to replace it eventually for a future reset.

Another concern is that, by the time the campaign is done with my monthly group, Hasbro will have stopped producing it, making replacement a monetary nightmare on the secondary market.

So, if the price is reasonable enough for multiple copies, or I feel confident enough in Hasbro that I'll be able to replace my copy at a reasonable price when the campaign is complete, then I'll consider it.

My current confidence in Hasbro's continued support of the game (considering its' past history with Heroscape, Risk: Balance of Power, and Risk Express) is almost non-existant, so I guess it will all be decided on the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
If I get 20-25 plays out of any game, then I'm pretty happy. Even at $100, that's very cheap entertainment.

But let's say everyone in my group loves this, we play it until the game stops evolving, and then we play it a few more times on the static map until we're done. But not enough people in the world loved it, so there's no reprint available.

Who cares? There's plenty of other great games out there for us to play. We had hours of fun. Nothing lasts forever.

Maybe everyone complaining about permanent alterations are those people who play every game dozens and dozens of times -- but I doubt it. This website is filled with hundreds or thousands of people who drop $40 on a game (getting 35% off of course, heaven forfend paying MSRP), gingerly play it two times, rate it a weak 7, and put the game on a math trade list. This game busts that approach to the hobby -- of course no one wants to trade for your half-evolved copy when they could be making their own stories with their own copies with their own groups.

But I come equally from an RPG background, where permanent changes to the game state are (a) par for the course and (b) part of the fun. You take chances and see what happens. It's not balanced, it's not fair, and if you die, you're dead. Maybe you even caused something so horrible to happen to the game world that your next character has an uphill battle just not to sleep in a pigsty. If they can bring that kind of decision making and consequences to the board game world, then sign me the hell up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am completely on board with this concept. I seem to be getting exponentially more excited each time I think of how cool this could be. I am thinking this could become a whole new genre, like CCGs.

As far as people worrying about the cost, I for one would be embarrassed to admit how much I'd be willing to pay if this concept is half as good as I think it could be. I invested hundreds of dollars in Magic over the past 17 years, and have never regretted any of it, as I have received hundreds of hours of entertainment. I probably will buy a few copies of this game if it's fun to play.

Imagine having a copy you just bust out during annual events, like Thanksgiving or something? You could keep up this tradition for 15-25 years or even longer since the board is playable after the campaign is over.

"Nephew, see that part of the board there? Your dad did that before you were born when we were kids."

Priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
If I get 20-25 plays out of any game, then I'm pretty happy. Even at $100, that's very cheap entertainment.
Totally agree. It would be worth it to me for the unique experience. Think of the cost of a group of 5 people going out to a movie and then hitting a bar for the night. You've blown way over $100 there as a group, and that's just for 1 night of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ShepparCon was a Blast!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Thank You to all those that attended BorderCon this year and made it special again!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What I find quite funny is that none of us would have pegged Hasbro as the kind of company that would take such a Risk on a concept like this and dare I say it...be so innovative.

But if you think about it, a small publisher trying to survive probably can't afford to take a risk like this.

Perhaps we just found an advantage to a huge company like Hasbro...at last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
It is one thing to play a card in a game to gain an advantage. It is entirely different to play a card and then rip it up, banning it from the game forever (I know that none of you will actually rip it up). Or to mark a territory that will change its destiny from here on out.

We wanted your experience in your world to be as dynamic and unbelievable and fascinating as real world history. History never plods along at a predictable pace. It surprises us at all times.

ISN’T THIS JUST RISK WITH STICKERS?
Hope not. But note that the first few games are fast and light. This is on purpose. You are setting the stage and creating the early history of your world. The focus of those games is getting used to changing things. We wanted all the attention on that, not on new rules. But, by the end of the evolution? There will be a LOT going on. Lot more strategy and rules and decision making.

You, Sir, made me interested in (playing) a game with "risk" in the name after 20 years again ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
While the concepts here are both new and interesting, I think that this game really ought to take advantage of computers by allowing people who own the game to play without physically damaging anything. Aside from the obvious benefits that online play grants, this should have the added benefit of allowing players to reset the board and start anew at any time. If this game allows the play that it sounds like it should, after so many games it might be nice to start anew and see what else you can manage. Not only that, but it makes spoilers less spoilerable, and could potentially allow for a greater variety of spoilers arriving at different situations.

I really only say this because permanent changes are interesting, but sometimes it's nice to see how else the world could have developed. Perhaps you can only have a single board available at any time - if you start over, any previous experiences are removed (incidentally adding another tough choice to make - keep developing your world or wipe it out and start anew).

And as a final note, I commend this kind of experimentation. A few fresh ideas always help shake things up. Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also interested in the game.
Well, I'm not a big fan of RISK but this concept sounds cool,...as long as I don't have to melt the miniatures...whistle

What turns me of is the price, around 55 Euros (~80$).
Must ask my buddies if they are interested in this game also, so that we can share expenses.

But I think the awesome miniatures alone are worth it.
I'm planning to use them for other games or own designs (maybe some kind of SciFi Axis & Allies)...

(one-point units, three-point units, headquarters)

The game comes with over 275 of them!

Anyways, I'll kepp an eye on this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbistro wrote:
I for one am "all in" for the grand experiment. Cards will be destroyed.
...videos will be posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Storm
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Absolutely brilliant!! Sounds to me like it could be one of the most exciting board game innovations in a very long time!

Just doesn't seem that revolutionary to me. The idea of a game evolving everytime you play, can't be "new". I was just playing Agricola Solo the other day - each time through you get to keep an extra card and the game plays out different because of that. AND you don't have to destroy the game in the process. I haven't played many of the RPG-Style boardgames, but there must be one where you keep your "evolved"/leveled-up character from scenario to scenario.

Mixing this concept with Risk seems pretty cool, but the fact that you can't "reset" it brings me to my next point:

Mcmurphy wrote:
I always thought that Hasbro was a company interested in making money without respect for good games and gamers..

Having a game that gets used up, sure seems like a way to make money to me. If people are tired of buying collectible games or expansion after expansion, this seems like the next logical step - You have to rebuy the SAME game at some point if you want to play. Planned Obsolescence.

I have nothing against Hasbro trying to make a profit, but don't try to sugar coat it as something else.

The good news is that if it is successful, designers might start introducing the concept more into other games (minus the can't reset part).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this concept, though I totally sympathize with the OCD latex-glove-wearing collectors here who will gnash their teeth at the idea of their game changing. If you must, buy a notebook and keep campaign notes from game to game. The complaint that this is being done just so that you buy more copies...c'mon, kids. You have to play 20+ sessions to reach the "end" of this game. Can we honestly claim that we've played every single one of our games (especially the big-box ones) 20 or more times? I don't think so. And once you reach the end, you can still play the game! You just won't be able to add more rules or stickers. But you'll still have your highly-customized game.

However, for people like me who love boardgames but who have a lot of friends who play boardgames minimally, this is awesome. What's the cost? $40? $50? Regardless, being able to change the game as you go is revolutionary (I think the designer said there are 15 wins recorded on the board, but it takes 17-20 games to "end" the evolution of the components). This is exactly the sort of thing my friends and I would like to play. It's not like we can sit down and learn a Pnp RPG system. Other than RPGs, I don't know any games that have this sense of evolution and permanence.

And at the end of the 20+ plays if we never play our "finished" Risk world ever again, who cares? 20+ plays is more than most people get out of their non-customizable games. I guess I'm not the sort of person who wants his boardgame collection to last 250 years. Cardboard fades. Cards fray. Pieces get lost. That's the reality of life. You might as well have fun with your boardgames while you're at it.

I'll be buying two - maybe three - copies of this game. No, not because I want to doctor up one to remove all of the permanent aspects. It's because if this really takes off in my game group, I'm going to slap "2011 Edition", "2012 Edition" etc on the front of the box and have all my friends sign the cover once we finish the journey. It'll be like a scrapbook we all helped create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrakeStorm wrote:
I have nothing against Hasbro trying to make a profit, but don't try to sugar coat it as something else.

Except that it IS something else. Sure, if you refuse to alter your game then it is no different than any other campaign type game.

But if you play it as designed you are creating your own unique version of Risk that you will have to admire for the rest of your life.

If you don't play it as designed, well then it's just another Risk variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrakeStorm wrote:
squash wrote:

Just doesn't seem that revolutionary to me. The idea of a game evolving everytime you play, can't be "new". I was just playing Agricola Solo the other day - each time through you get to keep an extra card and the game plays out different because of that. AND you don't have to destroy the game in the process. I haven't played many of the RPG-Style boardgames, but there must be one where you keep your "evolved"/leveled-up character from scenario to scenario.

Mixing this concept with Risk seems pretty cool, but the fact that you can't "reset" it brings me to my next point:

Mcmurphy wrote:

Having a game that gets used up, sure seems like a way to make money to me. If people are tired of buying collectible games or expansion after expansion, this seems like the next logical step - You have to rebuy the SAME game at some point if you want to play. Planned Obsolescence.

The good news is that if it is successful, designers might start introducing the concept more into other games (minus the can't reset part).

Yeah it looks like you missed some info. It has been made quite clear that if you finish all the options this game has to offer, after around 15-20 plays, you will have a perfectly playable unique copy of Risk. The only reason you would need a reset is if you want to do it all over again. And in my opinion, if you still want to do it all again after 15-20 plays, then throw freakin Hasbro a bone for sparking your gaming desires, pony up and buy another copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
The only reason you would need a reset is if you want to do it all over again. And in my opinion, if you still want to do it all again after 15-20 plays, then throw freakin Hasbro a bone for sparking your gaming desires, pony up and buy another copy.

I couldn't imagine playing the game for 20-25 plays, and ending up with a unique world, and then just wiping it all away.

I doubt I'd ever play this game with a version that cannot be altered. It wouldn't be worth my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isac Sandelin
Sweden
Sveg
Härjedalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an idea, they could make the board double-sided, and then just sell a pack with new cards and stickers, if you want to reset.
Probably wont happen, just an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, someone has finally come up with the inverse the Collectible Card Game idea. The capitalist idea on turning a profit never ceases to amaze me in its' many guises. But this is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |