Tom Williams
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
Well, I've been trying to solo the Carrock and had my first win tonight. I'm slightly suspicious of the way I won, so please let me know if I'm interpreting the rules wrong at one point.

Since I started trying to solo this quest (5 tries so far), I've been playing revisions of a Spirit/Lore deck, with some Leadership cards via Songs. I think it's probably what a lot of people are trying.

Dunhere (Spirit / 8)
Eowyn (Spirit / 9)
Denethor (Lore / 8)

The included cards are pretty boring. I was having trouble so I included 3x of the obvious "power" cards with this setup (Unexpected Courage, Forest Snare, Burning Brand, Song of Kings, Rivendell Minstrel, Sneak Attack, Gandalf, Galadhrim's Greeting, Gleowine, Northern Tracker...).

My strategy was straightforward: Denethor sees what's up ahead, Eowyn and allies quest, and Dunhere attacks. I think proper pacing is totally essential in the first part of the quest. With this deck anyway, it's suicide to just press on as quickly as possible. You need to get enough allies out to be able to quest 12+ every round, since most of the trolls will be just sitting there giving 8 threat every time. In the most recent session I was able to do this in a rather weird way.

Things started fairly badly - no unexpected courage after a mulligan, but I did have some threat reduction with Galadhrim's Greeting. I was able to use this to buy some time, but very few useful cards came out - I got Eomund out and he started joining his daughter in questing, but I drew several things that would be useful later, including the Miner of the Iron Hills and all three forest snares. Resources were piling up, but after 3 rounds, when I was currently at the Banks of the Anduin, Denethor spotted more Banks up ahead. Since the only other card in the staging area was the carrock, I was able to quest just enough to get rid of the current Banks, which went back on top of the deck. I then travelled to the new "Banks", and, by repeating this move, was able to keep looping harmlessly for as many turns as I wanted. At the end of around 10-15 turns of this (including more threat reduction via extra draws of Galadhrim's Greeting and Gandalf) I was fielding a fairly big questing group, including a Tracker, a Wandering Took, three Minstrels, two Daughters and old Eomund. I pressed on to the final stage and met very little resistance. Dunhere had a couple of marks and unexpected courage by this point, so was weakening the trolls in the staging area. Over two turns, 2 trolls were lured (first by Denethor with his burning brand, and then by Gandalf in full-on, undefended chump-blocker mode) and snared, to keep questing threat manageable. Once the guys in the staging area were dealt with, some of the questing allies joined Dunhere in wiping out the trapped trolls for a fairly easy win in the end.

Happy to beat this, but wondering if maybe I played the stroll down the river wrong?

And all three Sneak Attacks (plus all copies of Gleowine) stayed in the deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. From experience, that Banks of the Anduin loop is handy, but only really works in a solo game since with any more players you are drawing more than one card per staging phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, it's hard to find Grimbeorn if you are just paddling around the Banks of the Anduin. He's a pretty good ally to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williams
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
Yeah, it was just the Carrock and one "Banks" there at a time, so it was easy to beat by the required amount each time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williams
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mdeuber wrote:
Of course, it's hard to find Grimbeorn if you are just paddling around the Banks of the Anduin. He's a pretty good ally to have.

True, but he wasn't needed by the time I got my troupe of allies out. I could have easily bought him off as well because the Steward was collecting his taxes every turn during the looping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.