James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm almost done painting my allied troops and looking at painting up my walkers. I'm planning on leaving the main colour the same as the primer, but adding various kinds of rust, dirt, battle damage, etc. and then painting on the "dip".

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any good tutorials on doing these kind of weathering effects. What have people done that look good on the walkers? Painting is all new to me and I'm looking for some good tutorials for weathering my walkers.

Any help would be greatly apprecieated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
google mig pigments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James H├ębert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

main site
http://migproductions.com/

tips and such here
http://migproductions.com/docs/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - looks like they have some interesting products - the rust and oil/grease effects look cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
for rust effects , i use craft paints , about mixed 1:1 with "pigment extender" , and then watered down to desired transparency then applied to all the areas water would pool , in corners or around bolts , and done as streaks where it would drip down .

i usually mix 3 colors of it at once (burnt umber , 50/50 burnt umber and a good deep orange , and then a deep rust orange ) if you look at vehicles that have rust pools forming , its usually those 3 colors , so by doing all 3 at once , i can add variety , and it blends in well as i apply them to some of the same areas .

it takes a little getting used to because it dries more transparent than it applies , but it adds a lot of effect .

as for the weathering powders . i will be experimenting with home made weathering powders . some one over at DAKKA suggested making your own by crushing artist pastels , his pics were kinda dark , so i couldnt tell how well they worked . i am not at the point to apply it yet , but probably next week i will be ready to apply the weathering powders i made from crushed pastels for some of the powder and exaust blackening , and maybe some dirt .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:
for rust effects , i use craft paints , about mixed 1:1 with "pigment extender" , and then watered down to desired transparency then applied to all the areas water would pool , in corners or around bolts , and done as streaks where it would drip down .

i usually mix 3 colors of it at once (burnt umber , 50/50 burnt umber and a good deep orange , and then a deep rust orange ) if you look at vehicles that have rust pools forming , its usually those 3 colors , so by doing all 3 at once , i can add variety , and it blends in well as i apply them to some of the same areas .

it takes a little getting used to because it dries more transparent than it applies , but it adds a lot of effect .

as for the weathering powders . i will be experimenting with home made weathering powders . some one over at DAKKA suggested making your own by crushing artist pastels , his pics were kinda dark , so i couldnt tell how well they worked . i am not at the point to apply it yet , but probably next week i will be ready to apply the weathering powders i made from crushed pastels for some of the powder and exaust blackening , and maybe some dirt .

Thanks! I've never heard of weathering powders before (miniature painting is quite new to me) - I'll have to investigate it some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon Palmer shows some great techniques for paint-only rust/oil/weathering on an Elysian Dropship in his "The 7 Day Army Painter" DVD video, available at thewarstore.com

http://www.thewarstore.com/product67290.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I ordered the Mig Standard and Light rust effects, as well as the Oil & Grease mixture and the RainMarks mixture. They look they will be fun to use.

I'll also look up some of those other techniques mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

Thanks! I've never heard of weathering powders before (miniature painting is quite new to me) - I'll have to investigate it some more.

some of this is very new to me aswell . i have been a minis gamer for 20+ years , and i paint my own , and some of the stuf out there is just way beyond the scope of the games i have played . the "aestetic" is different for DT than it is for say battle tech , of WH40K , so i didnt really need to know about this stuff till now .

i am one of the people who uses craft paints , because back when i started gameing RalPartha and armory were the leading paint companies , and craft paints are closer to them than GW paints are . they are also cheap as hell .

i only heard of weathering powders about 6-7 months ago . i have never tried them , bacause the colors i looked at getting were out of stock at the company making them . so its very new to me . prior to trying out the pastels idea , i have always just used paint teqniques to get the results i wanted .

and i never really had a reason to try the pigment extender before , and only started using it when i started painting my dust walkers . pigment extender and craft paints are only a couple bucks a bottle at craft stores like hobby lobby .

i have an airbrush , but i dont like using it since i dont have enough use for it to become a pro . its kinda a pain to me .

also , i have recently begun using the "dip" , though i use the brush method as opposed to actually diping the fig . its something that has been out for a while , and that i have only recently tried , and is going to make my painting MUCH easier , and faster :

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/dip.html

i wish i had known about " dipping" 20 years ago , i could have had so much more free time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned in my original post, I plan on using the "dip" with the walkers too. I've used them on my soldiers and on the tank traps and so far I've loved the results. I also brush it on. I can't imagine actually dipping my figures!

I've tried a variety of paints, and have to say I like the citadel ones the best - they seem to just cover well. But I have a mix of citadel, tamiya, and model master paints that I've been using. I've had mixed results with the cheaper craft paints on other projects, and besides, the game and hobby store is just more on my way home from work than any craft store. :-)

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the weathering powder - I will check that out. So many interesting techniques and products for this hobby. I'm having a lot of fun and learning lots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emery Gallant
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, to be honest....go to a cradt store and pick up some pastels, cheap; scrape the sticks individually in a small container with a #11 XActo blade...there are your pigments. You can use water to achiev different 'wet' consistancies, even building up a mud layer. A little airspray a the end (hey, it's a lacquer) to hold everything. Final acrylic coat of future sprayed with an airbrush and you're in business.

All model building techniques.

http://tincangeneral.com/forum/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.