StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: StarCraft II Factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Horwath

Lakewood
Colorado
msg tools
So I was thinking. Starcraft II hosted a wealth of material for the game. I created a few factions based on that material. I know some things may not make sense (like Jim Raynor fighting Matt Horner), but I think it does ok. None of these have been play tested yet, but here is their text.

Matt Horner (Terran)

Resource Caches
Whenever you start a fight, gain a resource token equal to the area you attack.
Starting: 1 Transport, 9 Workers, 5 Marines

Revolution in Overdrive
Special Victory
You immediately win the game during a stage III regrouping phase if the following occurs. You control three siege tanks or battle cruisers on table and you control more units than each individual opponent.
Starting: 1 Transport, 8 Workers, 1 Goliath, 1 Vulture, 1 Marine

Tychus Findlay
For the remainder of game, your firebats are marauders (but still use all text and stats and may use combat cards of firebats). When you start an attack where your Marauder is a front line unit, they get +1 health. Place a Marauder with a Hero Token under it. While this hero is a front line unit, +1 health, +1 attack.
Starting: 1 Marauder, 2 Marines, 1 Medic, 1 Transport, 7 Workers

Stage II

The Hyperion
Place a Battlecruiser with a Hero Token underneath it. While this hero is a front line unit, +1 health. When defending, at the start of a battle, any of your other units on same planet may move into same space (not exceeding space limit).

Tosh
Place a ghost with a Hero Token underneath it. While this hero is a front line unit, +2 health and ghost combat cards he uses have collateral damage.

Stage III

Xelnaga Artifacts
Place on table. Once per action, when you are defender, you may make a combat card have ground/flying splash damage, detector, and +1 attack when revealed.

Stetman’s Research
Reasearch two technologies for free. You may take any of them into your hand. This Regrouping phase you need not discard down to your hand limit.

Selendis (Protoss)

End as One
Special Victory
Once per action when you succeed in defending an area with a conquest point in it, gain one conquest point.
Starting: 7 Workers, 1 Transport, 1 Dragoon, 1 Reaver,

I live in the Shadows
Place on table. For remainder of game your Dragoons are now Stalkers. Your stalkers use all text of Dragoons and all Dragoon combat cards (except singularity charge) at -1 attack. Your stalkers cost -1 mineral to build. During the destroy units step, one of your stalkers about to be destroyed, may withdraw, move to any empty or friendly area on same planet.
Starting: 8 Workers, 1 Transport, 2 Stalkers, 1 Zealot

Funding of the Conclave
At the start receive four resource tokens of your choice and of the game place a warpgate in any friendly area. While this warpgate in play, at the start of the regrouping phase you receive two resource tokens of your choice.
Starting: 9 Workers, 1 transport, 2 Zealots, 1 High Templar

Stage II

Mothership
Place an Arbiter with a hero token under it in any friendly space. This unit is no longer an assist unit, gains ground and air attack, and +1 support. While this hero is a front line unit, +2 attack and uses the major health value.

Karass
Place a High Templar with a hero token underneath it. This hero is not immune to splash damage. While this hero is a supporting unit, you get +1 attack in that skirmish. While in a fight, all your units gain +1 health.

Stage III

Blaze of Glory
Each opponent loses one conquest point for each base you have out.

Reinforcements on Route
Immediately build two free units in any area containing a base. Place a guard token on that area.

Dark voice (Zerg)

Base Broodlings
Gain an attack module. Place in your area. Whenever one of your bases is destroyed, you may destroy one of opponent’s ground units in same area costing less than the number of modules you have. If you have an anti-air defense module, you gain detector.
Starting: 7 Workers, 1 Transport, 1 Ultralisk, 1 Hydralisk, 1 Zergling

Emerging from Nowhere
Gain six resource tokens of your choice. The first turn, you may not play any move actions and no opponent may play any move actions on a planet where you control an area.
Starting: 9 Workers, 1 Transport, 1 Infested Terran, 2 Zerglings, 1 Hydralisk

Spread to the Stars
Special Victory: You win during a stage three regrouping phase if each opponent only has one base or less (zero if playing two player) and you have atleast two bases.
Starting: 8 Workers, 1 Transport, 1 Lurker, 2 Zerglings

Stage II

Leviathan
Place a Guardian with a Hero Token in any friendly area. This unit gains air attack capability. While a front line unit, +2 health. At the end of the regrouping phase, place one scourge or mutalisk in same area as Leviathan.

The Ultralisk Evolution
Immediately research, for free, Burrow and Chintinous Plating. Your Ultralisks may use burrow (and get +2 health when doing so). Your Chintinous Plating combat card gains, Ground Splash Damage.

Stage III

Swarm Versatility
The next turn; When you reveal a mobilize order you may enter/ attack two enemy controlled areas on same planet, choose which one to finish first. When you reveal a build order you may build a second module or building. When you reveal a research order, you may purchase a second technology.

So Shall I be Your end
Each player must give you one of their events (without looking) if possible. You may play an additional event this regrouping phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool, but I wonder how Selendis Special Victory isn't somehow broken... Just don't attack him where he has Conquest Points?

i'll have to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Horwath

Lakewood
Colorado
msg tools
Broken over powered, or underpowered. If no one ever attacks selendis in a conquest point area, they'll probably win w/ conquest points. But who knows really. Like I said, these are untested, but I would like to test them soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
punk_monkey25 wrote:
Broken over powered, or underpowered. If no one ever attacks selendis in a conquest point area, they'll probably win w/ conquest points. But who knows really. Like I said, these are untested, but I would like to test them soon.

True! Though, I personally never could win just by CP... I always tend to pick special victory conditions for my faction, and generally do a pretty good job on that. That's of course just me though.

Currently we're still testing out some of the mini expansion rules I posted a week or so ago. So I am sure it will be some time before we put your ideas into the mix, but I do like it. We already include the leadership cards included here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54908/new-factions-new...
(some of them are really neat!)

Post here on how your play tests go! I'd like to see how they develop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Horwath

Lakewood
Colorado
msg tools
So we just tested them for the first time. We each took one of the three new created factions and gave it a go (so it doesn't compare to other stuff, but works well with each other). Terran dominated very easily. It was a high conquest point game (three planets had two on them; paladino belt, victor, and helios). I played zerg and started emerging from nowhere (which worked out well, except I started on a planet with only one conquest point, so I started out behind.) Protoss started funding of the conclave, which worked great until I sent a guardian over and collateral damaged the warp gate. Terran played Revolution in overdrive, which didn't factor in as he was easily getting 3 conquest points a turn, and upped it later.

Stage two, the hyperion came out which didn't do much except was a battlecruiser with +1 health. Protoss chose the mothership. This unit seemed underpowered. During a battle with two devourers, it died easily to a lucky defending advanced flyers. Maybe if it started out with cloaking, or it could be rebuilt, or both.

I chose the leviathan. The unit was a lot of fun, and coupled with ensnare, was pretty destructive. The terran player thought getting a free unit every round was over powered, but I pointed out that some heroes (like Zeratul) can destroy multiple units a turn with their ability. Also, that's how the unit attacks. By sending out muta's. I thought it was better than every move action, when it moved into a space you got a free muta or scourge. Maybe I should only do +1 health on the unit ,but then it seems very susceptible, and it doesn't have cloaking/anything else to save it with an average health of nine. (It seems weaker than a Battlecruiser hero or Carrier hero). I don't know.

That's an update so far. I'd like others to try it and comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good! I hope to see some improvements made, I am looking forward to using these once I test out my own variants.

I wonder if you could do something like Karigan gets when you have the Mothership and automatically shuffle in specific Arbiter technologies into your deck, or, maybe make some kind of specific ability that you could print on the Leadership card. Like the black hole ability it has in the PC game (can't remember the name of it), where it could completely disable units of any kind, or give it a larger attack bonus, or something.

Nice update. I look forward to hearing more! I want to test these out, but again, I am currently testing my own variants out. Though, it probably won't be long before I can. I am really interested. Keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Horwath

Lakewood
Colorado
msg tools
Here are the edits I am posting so far.

From Selendis

Mothership
Place an Arbiter with a hero token under it in any friendly space. This unit is no longer an assist unit, gains ground and air attack, and +1 support. While this hero is a front line unit, +2 attack and uses the major health value. If not on table, you may build it, instead of a arbiter for + 1 vespene.

From Dark Voice

Emerging from Nowhere
Gain seven resource tokens of your choice. The first turn, you may not play any move actions and no opponent may play any orders on a planet where you control an area. The first regrouping phase, each opponent gets -1 conquest point.
Starting: 9 Workers, 1 Transport, 1 Infested Terran, 2 Zerglings, 1 Hydralisk

Leviathan
Place a Guardian with a Hero Token in any friendly area. This unit gains air attack capability. While a front line unit, +2 health. This unit does may not use collateral damage on advanced flyer attack. At the start of the regrouping phase, place one scourge or mutalisk in same area as Leviathan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I live in the Shadows
Place on table. For remainder of game your Dragoons are now Stalkers. Your stalkers use all text of Dragoons and all Dragoon combat cards (except singularity charge) at -1 attack. Your stalkers cost -1 mineral to build. During the destroy units step, one of your stalkers about to be destroyed, may withdraw, move to any empty or friendly area on same planet.
Starting: 8 Workers, 1 Transport, 2 Stalkers, 1 Zealot"

A stalker for 1 mineral, OP?

"Emerging from Nowhere
Gain six resource tokens of your choice. The first turn, you may not play any move actions and no opponent may play any move actions on a planet where you control an area.
Starting: 9 Workers, 1 Transport, 1 Infested Terran, 2 Zerglings, 1 Hydralisk"

Smells like a turn two all in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.