Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent 1846: The Race for the Midwest game, a question was raised about the Lake Shore Line private. It's actually a specific instance of a more general question.

I wrote to Tom Lehmann, asking the following question:

Quote:
The NYC lays track from Erie to Cleveland, pays no dividend, falls back on the stock price track, and buys a green train (triggering Phase II). It then buys in the Lake Shore Line. May the NYC now use the LSL's power to upgrade Cleveland to a green tile?

Here's Tom's answer:

Quote:
Yes. Per Rules section 6, Operations, last paragraph: "At *any time* while operating, a corporation may buy one or more private companies and/or exercise the special properties of already purchased companies." (emphasis added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing it wrong -- we always thought track-building privates could only be exercised during the track-building phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J. Rushanan
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Board Gamers Never Are
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

Here's Tom's answer:

Quote:
Yes. Per Rules section 6, Operations, last paragraph: "At *any time* while operating, a corporation may buy one or more private companies and/or exercise the special properties of already purchased companies." (emphasis added)

Oops. My apologies, Eric. I missed the "At any time" phrase. Glad to know the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
jjrbedford wrote:
Oops. My apologies, Eric. I missed the "At any time" phrase. Glad to know the answer.

No harm, no foul. (Though it would have been interesting if I could have tried what I had in mind!)

I am 100% certain that no one in that game would ever argue about rules in a self-interested way, so this doesn't bug me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hamalainen
United States
North Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
is a Beer Engineer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjrbedford wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

Here's Tom's answer:

Quote:

Joe, I figured your fast group played so much 1846 that Tom Lehman would consult YOU for rules clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Freest Rolexes wrote:
Joe, I figured your fast group played so much 1846 that Tom Lehman would consult YOU for rules clarifications.

You deserve more than a thumb for that one, but it's all I can spare. I'm very GG-poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Freest Rolexes wrote:

I might consult them on play balance questions, but the rules were gone over pretty throughly by both Steve Thomas and myself before publication and have held up quite well over the years. In this case, the "any time" is clearly stated, but Joe's group just missed it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michalski
Belgium
Namur
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Yesterday, a player new to 1846 asked a question about Lake Shore Line we could not answer. Is the upgrade of Toledo permitted "at any time", meaning even before the green tiles are available?

In other 18xx titles the privates can only be purchased by corporations when green tiles are available, and here, they can be purchased in the yellow phase. But there is no stated restriction that the special power of the Lake Shore Line private is not available until the green tiles are available...

Thanks in advance for an answer on this,

Jean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
How can it place a green tile if green tiles are not available? Answer: it can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it can only exercise its power once a green train has been bought, but (as Tom says above) it may exercise its power on behalf of the company that owns it after that company has bought the first green train during that OR (e.g., after the normal tile-laying opportunity for that company is over.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jmichalski wrote:
Is the upgrade of Toledo permitted "at any time", meaning even before the green tiles are available?

No. This power is defined specifically as an *upgrade* (original emphasis) which are limited by game phases (see rules, page 5, Upgrades): "Green tiles may be laid in phases II and on." The only exceptional qualities of this power are that it is an extra upgrade (which can be done at any time during operations) and the upgraded tile may be disconnected from its owning corporation's track, both of which are noted in the Lake Shore Line's description.

The quote you give above is out of context; the actual quote from page 5, Operations, is "At any time while operating [...]", not at any time during the game, which are two different things. So, as Eric notes above, this power could be used by its owning corporation immediately after buying the first phase II train and before it finishes operating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.