Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Subject to an OK from Mac Gerdts for posting my design to BGG would anyone be interested in play testing/developing my space opera variant of Imperial 2030.

Imperial-Orion (I-O) uses a modular board principally composed of 7 hexagons, you can see my first prototype in the following image.

I-O is a double re-theme in that both the game is moved into a future setting with a pan-human civilisation spread across the stars and the financial/investment mechanism is replaced with a population/support mechanism. In part the later change was because some of the people I hope to play this with would have been unhappy about the original detached investors theme. However, I think this change makes the game even more about power politics than it was before as the factions manipulate the population of the various regional powers to their own advantage devil

Movement in I-O follows 2 styles:

1) Via wormhole network that directly connects every major centre within a system and then inter-connects with other systems. This is inspired by the Runcible network from Neal Asher's Polity setting (but without the omnipresent AIs). This corresponds to land movement in I2030.

2) Via 'void fleets' that can travel almost instantaneously between locations so long as there is no interference from the wormhole network. This is partly based on space travel from Frank Herbert's Dune setting (but without the need for prescience or a spacing guild). This corresponds to sea movement in I2030.

The dotted connections between systems are wormhole shuttles and may be compared to straits and canals in I2030.

Thanks for your interest,
Nick H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is interesting. The mechanics of I2030 certainly could be re-themed and still be just as fun for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was interested in the mechanics of Imperial when I first found out about it on BGG but the WW1 era theme put me off, reminded me too much of playing Diplomacy when I was at secondary school

Imperial 2030 was a more appealing setting but still not quite there for me and the investment theme was a definite NO for some of my gaming group.

Finally I was inspired to do a space opera re-theme by the video reviews of Imperial by calandale where it was obvious how much he was enjoying the experience of the game.

There are a few rules changes to enhance the theme but I don't expect them to have a major effect. What is likely to have a much greater effect is the modular board which allows for a wide variety of different topologies.

Here's a shot of my prototype 3 rounds in to a solo walk through. The cards right at the back (just faces visible) are to identify the factions and have no effect on game play except to remind people that they are playing a widespread faction rather than a regional power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! Would love to help playtest this for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very neat. And in some ways, more "believable" than having the USA, Europe, Russia, Brazil, China, and India all at equal power in the year 2030

Please post more - especially session reports!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@ReqMan; cannoneer,

Thank you for your interest in my humble variant of this great game. I've submitted an add-game request for the variant, assuming that's approved I'll then post the P&P files to BGG.

I've got a pictorial game report from an early solo play-test, I'll post that as well if the game is approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BenoƮt Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to playtest thisone too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Print and play Imperial Orion is now available for play test, all feedback welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.