Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen D
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the game design scene, so please forgive my ignorance.

My team and I have been working for the past year on an iOS tactical strategy game called RoboHero (formerly RoboArena). On the side, I have been developing a physical print board game based on the concept as well. We are going to be looking for a publisher for the game, or maybe even looking into self publishing it instead. I honestly don't know which is better at this point.

RoboHero: The Board Game Details-

RoboHero: The Board Game is a light customizable tactical strategy game for 2 players. The game lets you customize your own battlefields, build your own team of bots, and defend your flag.

It could be compared to a mashup of Stratego, Chess, and HeroClix... but more fun.

The game takes about 10 minutes to learn, and plays in roughly 30 minutes. There is a basic ruleset with preset teams and an advanced ruleset that lets you customize your own teams.

Each bot is unique and has different strengths/weaknesses. Significant amounts of testing and balancing have gone into it, and we think we've found a formula that is exciting for both kids and adults.

Here's a picture of our current prototype under it's former name:

We intend to build RoboHero into a brand, and have a planned sequel for the iOS game, as well as a planned expansion pack for the board game already concepted out.

My question is- Would a publisher be interested in this game? And if so... which ones? I've started looking into publishers and it's a little intimidating.

The alternative is running a kickstarter campaign to try and raise $15,000 for the initial print run, and self publishing the game and selling on Amazon.

Which is better? I'd appreciate any experiences or suggestions you could offer! Also, we'd love to get your thoughts on the game too! I'll have more info on the game on our website soon once we officially announce it (www.bravadowaffle.com).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of the game and the theme. Robots, robot and arena customization, tactical with variety...right up my alley. If you kickstart, I'll pony up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen D
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you like the idea. It really has been a blast to play and design. It's exciting getting to the point where it may actually become a reality!

Now we just need about 199 more people just like you, and we'll be good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in. Sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd consider changing the name, since Robotech has a similar name and theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen D
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've actually changed the name once already from RoboArena to RoboHero due to potential trademark issues with Nintendos Custom Robo Arena game.

I hadn't considered Robotech issues, I am working off the assumption that 'Robo' is a relatively safe term to use in a name since there are many games that use it in their names already (RoboRally, RoboSport, RoboDerby, RoboGear, Robo Fight, Robo Rumble, etc etc). I believe from my limited knowledge of trademark law that it is an established enough term that people will not associate 'Robo' automatically with Robotech. Then again... I'm no lawyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen D
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've spent the day digging through the list of publishers and trying to find the best fits for this game.

If anybody is interested, here is the pitch I'm sending the companies. It's got a lot more information, art, and details on the game. We'll see if I get a bite:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evening. How goes the hunt for a publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen D
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
Evening. How goes the hunt for a publisher?

Slowly. We are currently chatting with one publisher who was playing the prototype, but they aren't really being very responsive so I'm not sure. We're not giving up though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.