Subject: Ahh, Kingmaker--my old friend!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skeeve Yoshikawa
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got a copy of Kingmaker in the recent Short & Sweet math trade.
I want to tip my hat to

William Wood
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

for sweetening the trade.

Anyway, I dropped by an old wargaming buddy's place.
Another old wargaming friend was there and we immediately forgot playing one of my print and play games and played Kingmaker instead.

The three of us hadn't played Kingmaker together in over twenty years.
We hardly consulted the rulebook. I had no expansion cards and we didn't use the advanced combat. It was a thoroughly enjoyable game.
Unfortunately, we couldn't finish the game. The game had devolved to a sort of stalemate.
I had Richard of York, and had crowned him king, but allowed Henry to remain king because I didn't want to be bothered with the summons of the event deck.
My power was concentrated in Wales and I also had the Yorkish Plantagenet as the Marshal.
I also had Percy and kept him throughout the game. Unfortunately, I had no ships to run away with.

My other friend, Kieth, had Henry and Constable of the Tower, Warden of the Northern Marches and the Admiral.
Late in the game Henry was summoned to Pevensey and my entire force was nearby.
I had a 2-1 to storm the castle but drew a 4-1 instead. soblue

My friend Greg, had Elizabeth, but I had picked on him earlier and whittled him down to a lesser threat and he never recovered.

All in all, a good, but ultimately unfullfilling, medieval time was had by all. We even managed to have one round of parliament!

I can't wait until next Tuesday, perhaps we'll have my son and his best friend involved! We may even have a sixth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember my excitement at playing this game for the first time aged about 12. Thanks for a trip down memory lane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to check my rulebook when I get home, but as I recall, if there are 2 kings in play, you have to execute one of them within 3 turns. Maybe it's my poor memory..

It's been a while since I played last, as well. Reading your post has inspired me to maybe bring the game to my next game session!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Skeeve wrote:
My friend Greg, had Elizabeth, but I had picked on him earlier and whittled him down to a lesser threat and he never recovered.

Are you sure it wasn't Margaret?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
I' going to have to check my rulebook when I get home, but as I recall, if there are 2 kings in play, you have to execute one of them within 3 turns. Maybe it's my poor memory..

Poor memory: the rule is that if a single faction controls heirs from both families then they have to execute one or the other after three turns. It doesn't matter if they are kings or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
rod3556lhs wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't Margaret?

They all look alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:

Poor memory: the rule is that if a single faction controls heirs from both families then they have to execute one or the other after three turns. It doesn't matter if they are kings or not.

Mark is correct. If you control 2 heirs from each house they need to be executed or released after 3 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see it get some play!

I am confused about the drawing of odds for "storming a castle". If the group being attacked was out in the open the odds come into play but if they are inside the castle, its a siege and if you have more then the opposition you win, unless you draw "Bad Weather Delays Attack".

If you add the variant events some of the stalemate and running away issues are relieved and I certainly recommend them.

Long Live Kingmaker!

I should note my access will be spotty so I won't be responding too soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skeeve Yoshikawa
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you guys are right.

I guess we forgot about the rules with sieges.
And one of my friends had Margaret, not Elizabeth. shake

I guess we'd better go over the rules before we play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Reread my rulebook, and you guys are correct. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.