21 Posts

Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Here is a suggestion for the first expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Urevich
msg tools
2 new teams, Halflings and Goblins.
I know that people are probably groaning about my choices, but listen to the powers that they get.
1. Both teams have +1 card during each week, because their players are so cheap.
2. Halflings have Gang-up as a skill, which enables a +1 bonus when tackling if there is already an upright Halfling at the location.
3. Goblins cheat and also have bizarre weapons like the Rocket Powered Pogo Stick.
4. Halflings have a Treeman to provide the only power.
The bad trait that they both have is that their small size gives them reduced Star Power for most of their Players.
The reason I suggested that these teams come together is the fact that they are both smaller teams, and one would be on each side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No groaning it's a fine idea. Give the Goblins an Ogre or a Troll for some muscle.

But for an expansion I'd like to see at least 4 teams and I think that Undead and Dark Elves should be on the quick list of added teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best way to expand the game is likely to involve each expansion being a new division, i.e. three teams (though it could be 2 to 4 I guess, but that might affect balance) with their own separate Star Players deck (so that it doesn't affect the Star Players balance for the original teams).

And I'm not saying that just because I want an expansion with Necromantics, Khemri and Vampire Counts with their own Star Players that can't be poached by the fleshbags. (Okay, yes, that's entirely why I want that.)

Bonus : that means you can get a Short Teams division with Halflings, Goblins and Snotlings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Husssssh....

You had me at expansion.

Seriously, I'd like to see these two teams. Hell, I'd even pick them without the random draw rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see an undead team in there somewhere as well.

I'd also like to see more headlines. Cursed Ball and things like that really liven up the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't leave out the Darkside Cowboys and their great cheerleaders, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see Lizardmen. Sprinty, dodgy Skinks with low values (and maybe even get injured on their first tackle to simulate Stunty) with a few Sauruses with guard and tackle and a single really big Krox.

Goblins would be fun, with a few of their Secret Weapons that have big effects but rack up the cheating tokens fast.

And I definitely agree that expansions ought to be their own new divisions. I'm not even that concerned with the balance of Star Players as with just diluting the decks. Teams ought to have a reasonable chance to pick up their own Star Players, and if expansion teams start bloating up the decks that starts to get pretty unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
No groaning it's a fine idea. Give the Goblins an Ogre or a Troll for some muscle.

But for an expansion I'd like to see at least 4 teams and I think that Undead and Dark Elves should be on the quick list of added teams.

Yeah, I'd like to see 3 teams for each alignment. I think you've nailed the evil teams (undead, Dark Elves Goblins). Now three good teams, could be tricky. I was thinking about it. I liked halflings but I thought it would be tough to make them thematic and competitive. Though the gang up idea is great.

Need two other good races though. Do Lizardmen count as good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lizardmen probably fit in better as 'good' than anywhere else, since they're relatively civilized (by Warhammer standards, anyway) and very opposed to Chaos. They really make the most sense on their own, since they're rather isolationist and don't have access to many Star Players outside their own in Blood Bowl. But in a pinch I'd stick them with good teams.

And Undead, Necromantic, and Khemri should definitely have their own division (maybe swap one for Vampires), not least because they're the only 3 teams that Morg actually won't work for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
gulpgulpgulpgulpgulp Maybe some Nurgle rot is called for. gulpgulpgulpgulpgulpgulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos Dwarves. I always liked playing them. The Bull Centaurs were awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trystan
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were thinking about this the other day, there seems to be more variety in the left out evil teams than the good. From what I can recall of the living rulebook the teams not in the box are ..

Good
Amazon
Norse
Elf
Halfling
High Elf
Lizardman

Evil
Chaos Dwarf
Dark Elf
Goblin
Khemri
Necromantic
Nurgle
Ogre
Undead
Vampire

Taking the varieties of humans and elves there's not all that much interesting left for the good teams which is a shame, though good news for Lizardmen fans as they end up being one of the stand out teams. For the evil there's tons of great teams in terms of theme and just the way they play differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing it broken down like that definitely gives me some hope as a fan of the Lizardmen. And it's awfully convenient that not only is the number of teams an even multiple of 3, it's still even when you break it down into good and evil teams.

If I were to break the good teams down into divisions, I'd probably go with Amazon, Lizardmen, and probably Norse in one, and then Elf, High Elf, and Halfling in the other. Though to keep them exciting as expansions, it'd probably be better to swap the Norse out for one of the varieties of Elf.

Evil is trickier, because the 4 Undead teams all ought to go together. That aside, Chaos Dwarf, Nurgle, and the remaining Undead would make a good division, and then Dark Elves, Goblins, and Ogres in the last one.

I think smaller expansions with just one division in them would work as well as a bigger expansion with both a good and evil division, and would help close that disparity in team numbers. Of course it's a bit early to be talking about expansions yet, but with the response this game is getting and FFG's reputation, I'm pretty hopeful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
I think the best way to expand the game is likely to involve each expansion being a new division, i.e. three teams (though it could be 2 to 4 I guess, but that might affect balance) with their own separate Star Players deck (so that it doesn't affect the Star Players balance for the original teams).

Very good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SQUIGS! I want squigs as my muscle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Hawkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

I think the Divisions idea is pretty cool-- I would do it

Undead
Vampires
Khemri

Amazon
Slann
Lizardmen

Goblins
Ogres
Chaos Dwarf

Dark Elves
Pro Elves
High Elves

Nurgle
Underworld
Chaos Pact

Then.. um

Halflings
Norse
Necromantic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude. Lizardmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crawford
Australia
Invermay
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A couple of ideas which could be used independently...or together...or not at all...

1st: I'd like to see the Stunty (and Titchy) players have a Star Value of 1/2. Enough for a presence at a Match-Up and enough to maybe tip a Match-Up one way or the other. Such a value would make for some interesting decisions.

2nd: Only players with a Star Value of 2 or less would be able to tackle Stunty players. This would represent their 'stuntiness' and the fact larger players find it difficult to lay a glove on the smaller players.

3rd: Maybe Star Players are unable to/refuse to tackle Stunty players as tackling such weedy players would be considered beneath Star Players?

Obviously being so weak the Stunty-rich teams would need a lot of help to be competitive so perhaps their Team Upgrade cards could be particularly powerful.

Anyway, that's my 2-bob's worth. Looking forward to the expansions as I really like this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, if you are short on "Good" teams, why not introduce some more human teams? If there are Dark Elves, Wood Elves and Pro Elves, why not split the humans into more nations. The human team in the base game is obviously from the Empire. The Blood Bowl / Warhammer background includes other human nations that are quite extensively detailed. I am thinking about the following (sketchy) ideas:
Bretonnian team "The Bordeleaux Beaux". A few super-blitzers representing Grail Knights, other normal blitzers for questing knights, a few underrated position players, and 4 lowly peasant linemen.
Kislev team "The Gryphons". A few blitzers, 2 convicted poachers as throwers with high agility and low armour...
Tilean team "The Wonders of Miragliano". 2 assassin type characters (based on Vespero's Vendetta Regiment of Renown), a couple young rascals as runners / catchers, 2 throwers with hidden mini-crossbows.
If you like the idea, maybe additional nations could be added, like Estalia, Bretonnia, Albion or Araby. But I believe there is less background to go on for these territories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathien Flameheart
Slovakia
Senica
flag msg tools
I'm making my own expansion and because I never before was into Blood Bowl, I created Gnolls and Pandarens (based on Warcraft universe).

Gnolls chase ball and attack anyone who tries to take it. THey also have Alpha males that they collectively guard.

Pandarens are slow cuddly pandas that like to eat (chance to stand up) and drink alcohol (cheating mostly). They are based on constantly falling and standing up, combining downed skills, standing up and even willingly downing themselves to use some skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NathienSk wrote:
I'm making my own expansion and because I never before was into Blood Bowl, I created Gnolls and Pandarens (based on Warcraft universe).

Gnolls chase ball and attack anyone who tries to take it. THey also have Alpha males that they collectively guard.

Pandarens are slow cuddly pandas that like to eat (chance to stand up) and drink alcohol (cheating mostly). They are based on constantly falling and standing up, combining downed skills, standing up and even willingly downing themselves to use some skills.

Did you create this expansion yet? And if so, is it printable? Would love to give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.