Hide
6 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ridiculous Win. (Did we do this correctly?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Detroit
msg tools
So, here's the situation. I'm still going over this in my head. It was a doozy.

We're in the headline phase of turn 5, Soviets are ahead in the space race, and allowed to see the US headline card first.

US plays Missile Envy - but it doesn't take effect yet.

Soviets counter with Cuban Missile Crisis. Being higher value, it occurs first. DEFCON sets to 2.

Missile Envy goes into effect. Soviet player chooses from multiple 3-point cards in hand and gives the US player...

Duck and Cover (a US card - so the event takes place immediately). DEFCON degrades. Nuclear War begins... during the US player's headline phase. soblue

Soviet victory. devil

Right? I mean, sure it was a pretty quick, anticlimactic end to a normally very long, drawn-out game, but it was also a deviously clever way to utilize a rare combination of circumstances.
Of course, this is all assuming we played it out correctly.
I haven't had a game end by Nuclear War in the dozen times I've played. Sure, we've come close and the deterrent factor has prevented players from doing certain things- but never anything like this.
The US would lose in this situation, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
HardluckNate wrote:
DEFCON degrades. Nuclear War begins.. it was a pretty quick, anticlimactic end

Nuclear War is anticlimactic? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You played correctly. The US caused nuclear war, and so lost. Powerful cards have some substantial risks, while lesser cards are (mostly) less risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No mistake. This is what happens when irresponsible men have a missile envy. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You never, ever headline Missile Envy if your opponent sees it before selecting their card.

Great ending!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott foss
United States
st charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it out correctly. AND I agree, anti-climatic, but one of those endings you talk about for ages...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.