Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it for $22.00 after tax and shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they have anything....better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ummm.... why would anyone want to play with more than 4 players??? The game is already pretty long with 4.

Thanks for the tip, I've been wavering on this one, but for $22 I couldn't pass it up. I've played it a couple of times and it is an interesting game. But, for the time it takes, I'll always choose Die Macher!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$15.00 at Wal-Mart! All Right! And hey, I heard Satan was selling discount TV's and Stereos for 90% OFF! He's been selling great products at low, low, low prices for some time now. Sure he treats his employees like crap, and closes down all the businesses around him, and requires your ~~Soul~~ but hey, your saving about 10 Bucks a pop!

Tools sheep sheep sheep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course communists don't like walmart. They're still cheesed we all don't have to stand around in bread lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just communists...there's a lot longer list than that.
But good score on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sure he treats his employees like crap

Don't work there if you don't like the way you are treated....

Quote:
closes down all the businesses around him

Stop gouging your customers. Most people want low prices...be competitive.

Quote:
requires your ~~Soul~~

I REALLY don't get this one....as I have never been asked for my soul at the door (and I shop at Sam's Club, too!)

Quote:
but hey, your saving about 10 Bucks a pop!

Isn't saving money the most important thing.....Hey, I bought my "Age" from Wal-Mart for $15.....Hey, I bought MINE for $25....After it's all said and done, you both bought the SAME item. One person was just SMARTER and got it cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't simple for local stores to compete with Wal-mart. Wal-mart intentionally sells items at below cost in order to draw in customers from its competition. Local stores have no way to match this. They cannot sell below cost without going out of business. They are forced to specialize or close. Specialization isn't alway possible.

Wal-mart will intentionally locate stores too close together. The ultimate goal is to dominate retail in an area by completely saturating it. Then Wal-mart plans to consolidate its stores if the market demand does not increase to match its supply.

As for workers, after hurting its competition Wal-Mart becomes a primary employer in an area. Do folks have choices? Well, I suppose unemployment is a choice. Nevertheless, Wal-Mart pays poor wages and prevents its workers from organizing to defend their rights (although they freely join all types of bosses associations).

The point is that Wal-Mart is destroying free markets and substituting them with their corporate controls. Just ask the music industry about how Wal-Mart actually causes censorship over musical productions. This is due to how much of that market that Wal-Mart controls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Target has similar low prices and a much better record all around. They have better stuff, are much more generous with the communities they serve, are less likely to widen our trade gap by stocking items made in China (and more likely to have American Made products), have nicer stores, and are far more environmentally conscious. While Wal-Mart closes stores rather than allow the employees working there to unionize, Target employees haven't really bothered because they are being treated reasonably.

Target also frequently have bizarre and eye-popping commercials that are far cooler than the old folks talking about how much they love Wal-Mart. Plus, for those with kids - Target has done the nearly impossible - they are a discount retailer that is actually thought to be slightly hip. Teens don't seem to mind wearing clothes from and shopping at Target. Good luck getting the same reaction on Wal-Mart.

Hey man, I'm cheap. I shop at both because they are both really close to me. But I feel much better supporting Target than Wal-Mart.

P.S. Costco is also better than Sam's Club, although to a lesser degree. I'm looking forward to the one opening in my home town, right across from Sam's Club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Add on that Walmart has repeatedly been nailed for forcing its employees to work overtime for free (against the law), forces its suppliers to reduce their workforces/wages/benefits/etc. in order to lower the prices charged to walmart for goods (they actually go into the producers' factories to 'help' them 'figure out' how to lower costs), etc., etc., etc....walmart is serious scumbag territory...and all the people who only want the cheapest goods end up weeping when their jobs go to china, cause that's where all the cheapest stuff gets produced....

enjoy your cheap crap...

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I'm sorry to sort of chime in, but with this last comment I just couldn't hold back anymore.

Explain to me exactly how Walmart is taking jobs away from the US? Sure, some people lose their jobs to chinese manufacturers. These people are not in the US. South Korea, Taiwan... those places, yes. But the US has long ago given up its manufacturing infrastructure. Or are you really that delusional and full of hatred towards the "evil corporations" that you sincerely believe that the US should be trying to reclaim manufacturing from the developing parts of the world?

As for other issues with Walmart - yeah, they do bad stuff all the time. They do quite a bit of good as well. Just examine what they have done in China to improve the quality of the work environment. Sweatshops are a fact of life in China; they do it not because they are forced to, but because its the natural thing to do. Walmart actually imposes pretty strict requirements for manufacturers to become suppliers (such as max 55 hours workweek), and they try to back it up with surprise audits. Can they fully control it? No, I hope you don't think that. And the manufacturers themselves are sneaky about it, paying off their employees or threatening them so they don't tell the auditors the truth, in many cases. But the overall impact is still pretty obvious.

Walmart does one thing superbly, which is manage their supply chain. There is no other company in the world that does it so well, or even gets close. They are amazing at this; its completely mind blowing to actually see and understand the infrastructure they have in place to control their supply chain. That's what makes them able to continue selling things at a low price and still eek out a decent profit. The "evil" stuff they do has nothing to do with it, regardless of the evilness of said stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprise audits? What's your source for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not being all that knowledgable on the subject, I did hear or read recently that Wal Mart has been doing some good stuff, perhaps to combat the 'evil empire' feeling so many people have.

My point of view: This is capitalism. Capitalism is all well and good, until someone takes it to an extreme, then everyone gets all pissy.

[rant]
If you don't like how Wal Mart treats their employees, then don't work there. If you can't stand their business practices, then don't shop there either. But don't knock those who do shop there.

People who work at Wal Mart are not forced to. If they don't like their jobs, they can find another. And you can't really argue that Wal Mart removes jobs in the community and replaces them with their crappy positions, because there are lots of other, non-retail, jobs in the world.

Or are you trying to say that people have the fundamental right to keep their crappy, low-paying job, even if they don't like it? It sucks SO BAD to work at Wal Mart, but why should the Wal Mart employee have to do anything about it? Why shouldn't they be given a better position in life for no particular reason?

I shop at Wal Mart. I've been there many times in the middle of the night. You know who I see working at Wal Mart in the middle of the night? Some of the least impressive people I've ever seen. You know what they're not doing? Complaining that they work at Wal Mart.
[/rant]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
I shop at Wal Mart. I've been there many times in the middle of the night. You know who I see working at Wal Mart in the middle of the night? Some of the least impressive people I've ever seen. You know what they're not doing? Complaining that they work at Wal Mart.
[/rant]

Mirrors to your soul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet you support the War in Iraq as well huh? "United We Stand?" "What does that mean exactly?" "Uh, These colors do not Run!"

Quote:
If you don't like how Wal Mart treats their employees, then don't work there. If you can't stand their business practices, then don't shop there either. But don't knock those who do shop there

Same Could be said of Iraq. Dont like they way Hussien treats his people, then dont vacation in Iraq! Im not saying I support Saddam, just trying to show you that your own argument makes NO sense in your own eyes.

And to lighten the mood a little...I just got a fresh ass pair of Nikes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:
Walmart actually imposes pretty strict requirements for manufacturers to become suppliers (such as max 55 hours workweek)

Wow!!! The humanity!! 55 hours...and given Walmart's own track record of pressuring its employees to do overtime for free, I'm sure they get paid for *every* second....unreal...

One of the things that makes Walmart a really nasty company *is* its management of its 'supply chain.' In the process, they reduce the wages and benefits of the employees of their suppliers. How anyone sees this as a good thing is beyond me...I guess perhaps they believe in reducing other peoples' standards of living if it means they can get cheap stuff....

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:

Same Could be said of Iraq. Dont like they way Hussien treats his people, then dont vacation in Iraq! Im not saying I support Saddam, just trying to show you that your own argument makes NO sense in your own eyes.

And to lighten the mood a little...I just got a fresh ass pair of Nikes!

Let's see...one is a dictator who tortures and kills people...and the other is a retail chain with (sometimes) questionable practices.

Yep, they're exactly the same. Thank you for explaining! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Robin, I think you are being a little populistic.

I hope you realize that the 40-hour, 5-day workweek is a very new invention, and that the concept of leisure time is only as prevalent as it is within what we like to call "the modern civilized world", or the "western world", and comprises of less than 30% of the world's population.

Walmart does not "reduce the wages and benefits of the employees of their suppliers". That's patently untrue, even though it is a favorite part of a typical "corp-hater"'s scream-fest. And to go back to China, most manufacturers, in fact, are surprised and reluctant to step up to Walmart's requirements, and they try to avoid them (by threatening employees, for example). The main reason is that in order to comply with the standards, perform to the quality specification, AND do so at the price that Walmart demands, requires that they become more efficient and improve their logistics significantly. If they don't, there is always someone else who will. That, of course, is much more difficult than simply working their employees to death in sweatshop conditions, which is what they naturally tend to want to do.

Thus the surprise audits.

The end result, of course, is that China's manufacturing plants - at least the ones that work with a company like Walmart - become that much better, improving life significantly for those involved in them (owners and employees), and having a tremendous impact on the status of the overall economy in China. Of course, that will alarm a lot of people in the US, since in many senses it means that smart US corporations are essentially creating the breeding grounds for China's tremendous growth, by coming in, spending the money, and enforcing the standards that absolutely require serious modernization and revised thinking.

That, btw, is also extremely short-term thinking, and why I think the whole alarmist attitude in the US regarding its future leadership position in the world is sort of amusing. You see, the economy in the US has very little to do with what the US government does. The drivers of it are the multi-nationals, the vast majority of which are based and will remain US-based. And they play this global game, as they have for the past 30 years, extremely well. If you will, they are the real guard behind the US falling behind because of continous, moronic government policy, at least economically.

Don't get me wrong. I have no particular love for Walmart. There are things they do that I look upon, well, quizically (probably not the same things you look at ). But I don't think they are "evil incarnate", and neither is, say, Microsoft or a bunch of others. They are acting as best they can in an environment that we have all defined. Some do it better than others, and they end up being the long-term winners. And the vast majority of employees in any of these "evil corporations" are happy enough with the equation, because otherwise, they would have forced a change.

Oh, btw, have you ever noticed how a lot of Walmart stores have an elderly, or maybe somewhat challenged, greeter? You know, not a lot of businesses would even deem them employable. Just a note.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cnd_77 wrote:
I think everyone should be paid a million dollars a year, and only have to work 30 hours per week, and get 6 weeks of vacation per year. That would solve all the world's problems.

You forgot "...and all of this without ever having to achieve an education above a high school equivalency."

Although I agree that people need to frequent mom-n-pop stores, games stores especially, I think people are vilifying WalMart. People are complaining that WalMart isn't paying livable wages. Well, what numbskull thinks he can live on WalMart wages? This all reminds me of the grocery clerk strike, "I can't support my family on this salary!" Here's a tip, if your job can be done by a 20-year-old with 3 months training, then you've made a serious flaw in your career choice. I don't pay my babysitter livalbe wages either, that's because it's a job for a 14-year-old.

That said, WalMart is clearly inferior to Target as a store. WalMarts are often cluttered and crowded. For the most part, if I have to spend 2% more to shop at Target I do. However, sometimes WalMart has what I'm looking for and Target doesn't, like HeroScape expansions. Hence my visit to their website. If Walmart gives me the significantly better deal, I go there.

I love capitalism, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I use my "dollar votes" wisely, and I use them to buy games at local game shops because you're buying more than the game, you're buying the opportunity to browse, chat and interact.

For the record, I've spent much more at "mom-n-pop" game stores than I have games purchased at Target, TRU and WalMart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:
The level of ignorant self-righteousness on this thread is astounding.

The level of inability to hold a discussion in a spirit of respectful disagreement on your part is truly astounding.

Robin

ps Walmart's influence on its suppliers *does* include negatively impacting on the standards of living and working conditions of workers in plants that supply them, no amount of asserting that it doesn't makes it not so....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
[/rant]

Mirrors to your soul.

Are you implying that I am unimpressive because I shop at Wal Mart? That's fine. These people couldn't tell me the name of thee street the Wal Mart was on. I was asking around for directions in Silver City NM, and I talked to 3 different people in the Wal Mart before I got a street name, and that name didn't come into play until after 3 stoplights, a turn, and a stop sign (not necessarily in hat order).

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:

ps Walmart's influence on its suppliers *does* include negatively impacting on the standards of living and working conditions of workers in plants that supply them, no amount of asserting that it doesn't makes it not so....

Remind me again why the people who's standard of living and working conditions are negatively impacted are required to work there?

Regarding the Saddam Hussein comment (in reply to mine): It mostly doesn't make sense to me. I agree that if you don't like Saddam Hussein then you shouldn't vacation in Iraq. I don't know what else you were trying to say.

Evidently 'we' (and by 'we' I mean who, exactly?) should police everyone's actions, the multinational corporations, the third world dictators, etc, etc, etc.

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ok, Mr. Jamer, now you've gone too far!!! You take the only good thing about walmart I've ever heard --
Quote:
they didn't have piles of Age of Mythology sitting at $15 a pop, no Attacktix Battle Figures anywhere on the shelves, and not a single copy of HeroScape.
-- and call them eeeevvviiiiillllll.

That means war!

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Remind me again why the people who's standard of living and working conditions are negatively impacted are required to work there?

Umm, because they'd rather work than be on welfare? Do you really not understand that people work at Wal-Mart mostly because they needed a job? If they didn't work at Wal-mart would you call them lazy leaches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bradshaw
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Although I agree that people need to frequent mom-n-pop stores, games stores especially, I think people are vilifying WalMart. People are complaining that WalMart isn't paying livable wages. Well, what numbskull thinks he can live on WalMart wages? This all reminds me of the grocery clerk strike, "I can't support my family on this salary!" Here's a tip, if your job can be done by a 20-year-old with 3 months training, then you've made a serious flaw in your career choice. I don't pay my babysitter livalbe wages either, that's because it's a job for a 14-year-old."

Holy crap dude...you don't think people should be able to live on full time work? You certainly are a piece of shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.