Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept of RISK Legacy has me blown away, and I'm very much anticipating it hitting my table.

I have not played a game of RISK in years (20+ possibly) and the only version of the game I own is a LoTR version I got for a few bucks back when a local toy franchise was going out of business (and has sat unplayed since).

I was curious what you guys thought? Should I reacquaint myself with the original game or one of its many versions before playing RISK Legacy? My gaming partner in all this will be my 8yr old son, and I know RISK Legacy is going to really excite him. But I wonder if he should experience the original game first.

Will RISK Legacy be a better experience for it or should we just dive into the new hotness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

Playing original RISK is a bit like riding a bicycle: once you learn, you never forget!

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
nyys wrote:
The concept of RISK Legacy has me blown away, and I'm very much anticipating it hitting my table.

I have not played a game of RISK in years (20+ possibly) and the only version of the game I own is a LoTR version I got for a few bucks back when a local toy franchise was going out of business (and has sat unplayed since).

I was curious what you guys thought? Should I reacquaint myself with the original game or one of its many versions before playing RISK Legacy? My gaming partner in all this will be my 8yr old son, and I know RISK Legacy is going to really excite him. But I wonder if he should experience the original game first.

Will RISK Legacy be a better experience for it or should we just dive into the new hotness?

Personally, I'm not a Risk fan, so I would not be up for playing any of the other versions when there are so many other great games out there to play. I am quite excited for Risk: Legacy, however, mainly b/c of the new mechanic they're introducing. So my two cents would be to wait for this new version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and easy answer? No, don't play it. The basic version of Risk isn't worth the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
Quick and easy answer? No, don't play it. The basic version of Risk isn't worth the time.

I'm not so sure about that, Filipe, without it I wouldn't be the wargamer I am today.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:

That's odd. I would have expected the opposite answer from most people.

I think it'd be good to do at least one regular game of RISK with the kid before diving into RISK: Legacy, if for no other reason than so he can learn how a normal game of RISK normally works.

It'd be a shame for him to never learn the follies of letting someone take all of N.A....and then S.A... and then the rest of the board. Likewise, it'd be a shame if he never knew the potential of using Australia as a quick/defensive strategy. And if a nuke suddenly changed the map... well, I dunno. I don't think he'd appreciate the new options as much.

But I guess it's also not neccesary. If you've got the orginal RISK lying about and have people to play it with, I'd do at least one game of the regular RISK before diving in.

...of course, maybe him having a fresh perspective as he enters RISK: Legacy would be a good thing. And if he gets hooked on RISK (as so many of us have), he can always go back and experience the classic (or one of the millions of other alternative RISK boards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
Paul,

Playing original RISK is a bit like riding a bicycle
touching a hot stove: once you learn, you never forget!

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Fixed that for lulz :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johnvm mcmackin
msg tools
And knowing nothing I ask..Why? I played Risk in 67 Never Stopped. Hate Castle Risk. Legacy I do not know- I will always play Risk. [Best single unit defense 9 times agtainst three Dice-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play Risk any old time. It's a good game. You don't have to play all the way to the very end.

LOTR Risk is a also good game but with quite a bit more going on than vanilla Risk. The strongholds, sites of power (missions), and timer aspect of the ring make strategy quite different. Not to mention the map itself, with few bottlenecks and a very different visual style (mountains and rivers, not just oceans, are impassable, but look closely for bridges!)

But if you're really just thinking about doing this for the sake of Risk: Legacy, check out warfish.net

Lots of fan-created variants and you take your turn whenever you have time.

I spent way too much time on this site, once upon a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I STILL spend way too much time on Warfish.net

...and wargear.net

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about getting a regular Risk group started in anticipation of Legacy, but it is more as a function of being in a "new town" and not having an established gaming group.

McJarvis wrote:
oneilljgf wrote:
Paul,

Playing original RISK Monopoly is a bit like riding a bicycle
touching a hot stove: once you learn, you never forget!

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Fixed that for lulz :-)

Upping the ante.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't play the original rules, but the new version contains revised rules which are a lot of fun and could be a good game to play with your kid, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.