Subject: Notes on Genesis and comparison with Bison:Thunder on the prairie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiberiu Doman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I have bought this game cheap (from Amazon) and I think it is worth it. This post though is going to focus a lot on negatives. Maybe later I will update it and add some positive impressions - right now, I don't have any strong good feelings about it.

First: the theme is a joke. Supposedly this happens 250 million years ago and the major animal groups are: dinosaurs, reptiles, mammals and humans.
Besides mixing major groups with a single species, mammals did not exist 250 million years ago. I don't know if reptiles and dinosaurs were separated yet.
I understand that this is an abstract tile-laying game but at least Knizia could have chosen better groups of animals!

Second: I also have Bison:Thunder On The Prairie. The games were released in the same year and I bought them at about the same price. I don't know if one copies after the other or is just a coincidence, but the goals of the games and the scoring is almost identical. I haven't played enough Genesis to post a comparison. Right now I feel I prefer Bison by far - more thematic and more interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is not meant to be realistic. It is an abstract game with some pretty pictures of creatures on the tiles. Many Knizia games are themed this way, some people don't like that, but you should be ready for it when you open a Knizia box. (Some of his games do have stronger themes but many are like Genesis).

I haven't played Bison, but it looks like a more complex game. One of the things that I like so much about Genesis is that it plays so well as a family game for gamer families; Genesis has been a favorite with my daughter since she was 6, but at the same time it is interesting enough to be enjoyable to my wife and myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.