Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQs suggest that building a decoy at a colony with no Ship Yard gives away that it's a decoy. Why couldn't your opponent think perhaps it's a base? Just making sure I didn't miss something.

Next: Does a Decoy explore a hex? Can it be the accompaniment for a colony ship or miner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bases are not hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Bases are not hidden.

Where's that in the rules? It's a combat unit and it has a Group marker side so...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
casualgod wrote:
Bases are not hidden.

Where's that in the rules? It's a combat unit and it has a Group marker side so...?

Well I'll be damned. Ship Yards are the same way. I guess both remain unrevealed until either the Ship Yards are used to produce ships or the bases are used for defense. Very interesting.

*waits for clarification from Jim*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! Well...

An additional question: do units accompanying non-group ships have to show themselves for verification purposes? The guys I play with aren't cheaters but is there an official ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I understand the question. Can you give an example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

Well, since a colony cannot enter an unexplored hex without a group...oh...nevermind! whistle

Still would like the original question clarified though: can a Decoy be that accompaniment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
casualgod wrote:

Well, since a colony cannot enter an unexplored hex without a group...oh...nevermind! whistle

Still would like the original question clarified though: can a Decoy be that accompaniment.

No, it cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
casualgod wrote:

No, it cannot.

Ah! I see it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Malacandra wrote:
The FAQs suggest that building a decoy at a colony with no Ship Yard gives away that it's a decoy. Why couldn't your opponent think perhaps it's a base? Just making sure I didn't miss something.

Next: Does a Decoy explore a hex? Can it be the accompaniment for a colony ship or miner?

When answering the question for the FAQ, I was thinking in terms of - once the counter moves everyone will know it is a decoy. You are right, it could be a base.

Decoys may not explore.

"It takes a special kind of person to venture out into the black - brave, bold, daring. Be that person." From a deep space scout pilot recruiting poster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:

"It takes a special kind of person to venture out into the black - brave, bold, daring. Be that person." From a deep space scout pilot recruiting poster.

I'd rather sit back and let the Decoy get lost, vaporized, or sucked into a black hole...

Thanks for the clarifications, Jim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Quote:
I guess both remain unrevealed until either the Ship Yards are used to produce ships or the bases are used for defense. Very interesting.

*waits for clarification from Jim*

David, ship yards remain unrevealed until you get into the hex with them. Think of it in the same way as CAs with exploration technology. They use their tech to explore a hex so the other players will know a CA is there, but the counter does not get flipped. In the same way, it will probably be pretty obvious where your SYs are, but how many there are, is there a base there also (if you used more than one group counter), etc. is not known.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Quote:
An additional question: do units accompanying non-group ships have to show themselves for verification purposes? The guys I play with aren't cheaters but is there an official ruling?

No, they do not need to show themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a question along the same lines today while reading through the rules...since Decoys do not explore, and the rules state that exploration is mandatory upon entering the hex, then won't everyone know that it's a decoy that's moved, since it did not/could not explore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Well, you can't move the decoy into an unexplored hex.

There will be plenty of times during the game where there will be many already explored hexes and counters will be moving through them. You won't know if they are decoys or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.