6 Posts

Dominion: Intrigue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dominion Intigue how does the bridge card work rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
can some-one please explain this card to me.do i get 1 buy + 1 coin and also as as according to the text all cards this turn cost 1 less to buy in effect giving me 2 coins to spend or have i got it all wrong.thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit goofy to think about. The best thing to do is count your buys (if you played one bridge then you have a total of 2 at the moment). Then count your money. If you only have the bridge, then you have exactly 1 coin. Let's assume you have 1 more copper in hand for a total of 2.

Now look at your options. All cards cost 1 less, meaning that you could purchase either one card that normally costs up to 3 (cost with bridge = 2), forgoing the use of your extra buy, or buy 2 cards which each normally cost up to 2 coins each (cost with bridge = 1 each), using both of your buys.

Also remember that multiple bridges are cumulative, so be sure to keep your purchases organized until you are done with all of them so you can keep an eye on them in this case

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
many thanks for your reply.so my original thoughts on how to play the bridge were correct.good to have confirmation though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karlosr wrote:
can some-one please explain this card to me.do i get 1 buy + 1 coin and also as as according to the text all cards this turn cost 1 less to buy in effect giving me 2 coins to spend or have i got it all wrong.thanks for any help.

It does not quite work this way, otherwise it would simply say "+1 buy +$2"

While the end result may be the same in most cases. The card is written:

+1 Buy; +$1
All cards (including cards in players’ hands) cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.

As an example: If you played a Bridge and then a Saboteur (Each other player reveals cards from the top of his deck until revealing one costing $3 or more. He trashes that card and may gain a card costing at most $2 less than it. He discards the other revealed cards.) The cards that originally cost $3 are now only worth $2 and will therefore no longer be affected by the Saboteur attack.

So I'm not saying you were playing it wrong, but it can change the way that other cards will play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
karlosr wrote:

You more or less have it correct, but there is one thing to note.

Yes, you get 1 extra buy and 1 extra coin. Also, all cards cost 1 less (as long as they are not already costing 0).

If you only buy one card, then this is equivalent to a card giving you 2 coins to spend, but thinking "OK, I can spend up x" (where x is 1 more than the number of coins generated by cards played) is a trap that some players then fall into.

As Jacovis pointed out, if you use the extra buy, then every card that you buy costs one less, which allows you to buy more than you would have been able to if you had simply had another coin instead of the "everything costs one less" clause. So if you play Bridge and then have 5 coins total to spend, you can buy a Gold for 6 5, or you can buy another Bridge for 4 3 and a Village or Silver for 3 2.

Edit to add: Also, this could (should) have been posted in the Dominion: Intrigue Rules forum - in fact it's always worth looking there first in case a similar question has already been asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Dominion:Intrigue >> Rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.