Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm looking to get a few games to take on holiday for my gf and I. Ideally something that can be played on a plane and while were on holiday by the pool or in the hotel room. We will probably take Parade and Fluxx. What else would you recommend ?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Travel Blokus (the 2p one) is a lot of fun and fairly compact. Also, the wife and I like to play Lost Cities which is another excellent 2p game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Perfect for such occassions. Great replay value and doesn't need a lot of space. If you plan to introduce other people to gaming this is a tough call but if you are patient and can explain it even non-gamers will enjoy playing it (personal experience during 3 months in Ecuador). Just see that you repack it. Or remove the inlay and use the box as general game box.

Space Hulk Death Angel
Good coop-game that doesn't take up a lot of space if packed but sprawls a bit during play. However this shouldn't be a problem when staying in a hotel. If you want a card game that is very strong on theme take this one. Replay value is ok, but you don't want to play it on a daily basis. Can handle up to 6 people with ease and gets better the more players you have at hand.

Cafe International Card Game
Great game as a filler or just to enjoy a play or two between two activities. Small, short and always fun to play.

Gosu
Great game if you want something that encourages conflict between players. Great replay value but takes some time to get used to because of the sheer number of different card abilities and, therefore, possible combos. Repack it, the original box is way to big.

San Juan
The easier and more boring version of Race for the Galaxy. Once we used to take this along, but we overplayed it during a 2 week trek quite a bit. In comparison to Race for the Galaxy it is easier to teach to new players and you discover the different strategies faster, but it is not as rewarding.

Dungeoneer
If you are in dungeon crawlers and don't want to pass on them while on vacation. Packing is easy as it is small or can be stuffed in a box together with some other games. Replay value is ok, but playing this on a daily basis is even more unlikely than doing so with Space Hulk: Death Angel. Good thing is it can offer you this certain dungeon crawler feeling although being a card game. Can consume a lot of space, but as long as you have a normal sized table at hands it will be ok. Works even while in a tent although things get a bit tricky then.

Red November
Another coop game. If you can find the old silver line box it's perfectly ok to think about playing it while on a train or plain. If you split up board and components between the two desks it works. Not as atmospheric and tense as Space Hulk Death Angel, but a good game nonetheless. May be easier to play with casual gamers due to its less nerdy theme.

Glory to Rome
Fantastic replay value and a good choice to take along if you are limited to very few games which have to keep you interested over a longer timespan. A bit easier to grasp than Race for the Galaxy but comparable when it comes to depth. However, take care not to expose the cards to the sun as they will warp like hell.

We had all of these games with us already, some of them being regulars now when we travel. These are: Race for the Galaxy (replayability), Space Hulk Death Angel (when you want something cooperative that is tense and atmospheric), Dungeoneer (when you feel adventureous rather than keen on victory points), Gosu (the "in-your-face" game).
If it's vacation with hotels and stuff we also carry Cafe International Card Game along. Somehow we don't consider it taking it with us when going for a trek or mountains, only when in "civilized" surroundings. No idea why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Today I am identifying as a Mushroom.
mbmbmbmbmb

Hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going on a week long catamaran trip in Greece next week, and are taking

Clans
Mykerinos
Alea Iacta Est
Caylus Magna Carta
San Juan + Expansion

All >2p in case others on the boat want to join in (you never know)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
i recommend these because i ve tried them with my 9 year old son and they were perfect.

Battle Line
Uno - cards
Catan the dice game

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
Biblios
Archaeology: The Card Game
Double Agent
Zombie Dice!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Jurchen
United States
Altoona
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus to Go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities is a two player game which fits in a small bag to take on the plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions.

Already have Race for the Galaxy but she didn't understand it so I got San Juan which we played the other night but she said it was boring shake

We also have Lost Cities,Jaipur and Archaeology: The Card Game which we both like.

Any other ideas ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:

Seconded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kahuna

Mr Jack Pocket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels
Aether captains: the search
Famiglia

Little space, lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the below games are huge hits for me. I highly recommend them, and they are all very compact and affordable. They are all easy to learn and to play, as I always play these games with my 6 year old daughter.

The Rivals for Catan

Super affordable, only like 15 bucks. Superb art, and fun to play. Build your own villages/cities and stuff.

Battleline

Dragonheart - a very easy, yet fun card game. Nice looking too.

Mr. Jack Pocket

Roma

Scarab Lords

Anything you like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
QueesteGeest wrote:

Scarab Lords

Anything you like?

Minotaur Lords!! Can be played with Scarab Lords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
We're going on a week long catamaran trip in Greece next week, and are taking

Clans
Mykerinos
Alea Iacta Est
Caylus Magna Carta
San Juan + Expansion

All >2p in case others on the boat want to join in (you never know)

Well that worked out well. Played all the games except for Caylus Magna Carta, and got fellow passengers on the boat to play Alea Iacta Est (multiple times) and St Petersburg (a last minute addition). Great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
matt.jolly wrote:
tel999 wrote:

Seconded!

Thirded? Thirds? Thirdsies?

My wife and I took Hive to an outdoor music festival. The game already comes with a travel case and plays pretty quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at the games from nestorgames. Their keynote is "fun to take away".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.