United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Since pretty much every form of dedicated contribution to BGG is acknowledged by specific metal-based microbadges (from posting to writing reviews or adding one's collection), I was just wondering why video reviewing seems to have been left out.

It does take a lot of work to put together a video review, and people like Jeremy or Tom really go above and beyond in their dedication to the community. Are there others who think that it would be nice if this type of effort received its own little shining award?

NOT that I have a personal interest in anything like that of course, I am just speaking in general... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He wants a medal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything that encourages more video reviews is a good thing as far as I am concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should get a geekbadge for your awesome Dr J afro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
You dont need a microbadge... you need a trophy Marcos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should get a trophy for that awesome Dr J afro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
You already got the GotW award, what more could you want? laugh

But yes, it does seem odd to me that there's no video equivalent for reviewer/session etc microbadges.

For that matter, I think it should be the same microbadge - i.e. no differentiation for video or written, merely the reviews themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

For that matter, I think it should be the same microbadge - i.e. no differentiation for video or written, merely the reviews themselves.

this would be a good idea too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to create a Titanium badge just for Marco! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
We need to create a Titanium badge just for Marco! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

oooooooh... modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
He wants a medal

oh no, I am just fighting for a cause! and for justice! and for equality! and... uh... freedom! and... and... equality! wait, did I say that one already? for... uh... for... equal recognition! and... oh what the heck, and for a darn medal ok?!? SO WHAT?!?

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
ShallowThought wrote:
He wants a medal

oh no, I am just fighting for a cause! and for justice! and for equality! and... uh... freedom! and... and... equality! wait, did I say that one already? for... uh... for... equal recognition! and... oh what the heck, and for a darn medal ok?!? SO WHAT?!?

laugh

So I brought this up to the admins before marnaudo, and the response I got was essentially this:

Due to the fact that other people can simply post up a video review recorded by someone else, video reviewers are not (and supposedly WILL not) be eligible for the reviewer microbadges. It is against site policy for someone to copy a written review from another site and post it here, but it is NOT against site policy for them to copy a video review from elsewhere and post it here. Thus, someone could cheat the system and get a copper/silver/gold reviewer badge without doing the work.

The solution I was offered was that I write up WRITTEN reviews of all of my video reviews, one which seems like a lot of extra work for me. I'm going to do it for now...but apparently video reviewers are to do double work for the same recognition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
Thus, someone could cheat the system and get a copper/silver/gold reviewer badge without doing the work.

Does it really matter if someone has a badge they don't totally deserve? Surely giving people like Marco recognition and encouragement is more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could make it so video reviewer badges are handed out manually instead of automatically.

/shrug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
slaqr wrote:
Thus, someone could cheat the system and get a copper/silver/gold reviewer badge without doing the work.

Does it really matter if someone has a badge they don't totally deserve? Surely giving people like Marco recognition and encouragement is more important.

Not according to the admins at the time. I myself would love to have my silver reviewer badge, but in order to do so I'd need to write summaries for the 40+ video reviews that I've submitted..something which I recently found people dislike (I tried it...I just wont bother from now on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
They could make it so video reviewer badges are handed out manually instead of automatically.

/shrug

Or simply change the rules so that its not allowed to post other people's video reviews...I proposed this, but it doesn't sound like it is going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

/shrug

Or simply change the rules so that its not allowed to post other people's video reviews...I proposed this, but it doesn't sound like it is going to happen.

this is, well, sad. The admins say it is forbidden to post reviews written by others, but how do they CHECK? I myself posted some written reviews, how do they know my wife did not write them for me? Did they check? If not, this is double standards... why worry so much about videos and not other forms of contributions open to mischief?

Also I can't imagine anyone stealing enough vids from other people to get a badge and at the same time no one noticing and complaining to the admins...
"Oh look, someone else has reviewed Sun of York too... let's watch... oh, look, this guy also has an Italian accent like mine... kind of looks like me too... and appears to be filming from my house... oh well, isn't this a funny coincidence?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:

The solution I was offered was that I write up WRITTEN reviews of all of my video reviews, one which seems like a lot of extra work for me. I'm going to do it for now...but apparently video reviewers are to do double work for the same recognition.

Before being allowed to post, shouldn't the writers of written reviews also submit a video in which they read the text aloud? Otherwise how can we be sure that they are the person behind the text itself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
ShallowThought wrote:
slaqr wrote:

Not according to the admins at the time. I myself would love to have my silver reviewer badge, but in order to do so I'd need to write summaries for the 40+ video reviews that I've submitted..something which I recently found people dislike (I tried it...I just wont bother from now on).

I may be the only one, haven't checked my thumbs in the other thread to see if there's anyone who agrees with me. But, it just seemed to me that we are going to end up with a bunch of summaries, that really don't do much more than reading the "Overview of play" section of a game's rules, and then say "I like it, it has nice components, etc. etc. in one sentence at the end. And those don't really add much but clutter to the "reviews" section.

As I've said, I'm not a video review person. Don't watch them, don't make them, etc. So I know nothing of Ryan's work in this regard. I assume that his video review(s) are more in depth than what was posted that I object to. Perhaps he does the "30 second review" thing, in which case this would, I guess, make this fairly authentic of his work. If that were the case, then that would be a whole nother discussion I wouldn't care to have, because I just don't care about his, or anyone's video reviews.

I clicked on a link for a review of a game I've subscribed to, and found nothing really, but a description of the turn sequence, an "I like it" sentence and a link to the actual video review.

I see the reasoning for why he is having to do this, I just think making video reviewers do this is bad for the database.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
slaqr wrote:
ShallowThought wrote:
slaqr wrote:

I may be the only one, haven't checked my thumbs in the other thread to see if there's anyone who agrees with me. But, it just seemed to me that we are going to end up with a bunch of summaries, that really don't do much more than reading the "Overview of play" section of a game's rules, and then say "I like it, it has nice components, etc. etc. in one sentence at the end. And those don't really add much but clutter to the "reviews" section.

As I've said, I'm not a video review person. Don't watch them, don't make them, etc. So I know nothing of Ryan's work in this regard. I assume that his video review(s) are more in depth than what was posted that I object to. Perhaps he does the "30 second review" thing, in which case this would, I guess, make this fairly authentic of his work. If that were the case, then that would be a whole nother discussion I wouldn't care to have, because I just don't care about his, or anyone's video reviews.

I clicked on a link for a review of a game I've subscribed to, and found nothing really, but a description of the turn sequence, an "I like it" sentence and a link to the actual video review.

I see the reasoning for why he is having to do this, I just think making video reviewers do this is bad for the database.

laugh

I assure you my video reviews are definitely longer than my written reviews...ranging from 3 minutes at the VERY rare short end, to 13 minutes at the long end, for viewability reasons we tend not to go longer than that.

I don't want to have to write reviews of reviews that I've already done either...but I do want the recognition that is given to other people who do very similar work... By the way, I didn't even remember it...but if you look back I wrote a review of Poseidon quite some time back, before my video review days, that is much more detailed Take a look at that one and tell me it isn't well done!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/617706/an-overview-of-poseid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
slaqr wrote:
ShallowThought wrote:
slaqr wrote:

laugh

good video reviews are by definition MORE than just a text read aloud, and have an interaction between video and words that makes the product itself more than the sum of the parts. That is to say that a transcript seems a perfectly pointless exercise: it conveys less info than a text written for a written review, and misses the point of the original work entirely.
I guess I was ok thinking that there wasn't a badge for video reviewers because, I dunno, people hadn't thought of it, but knowing that it doesn't exist because the admins don't trust the posters of videos in the same way they trust posters of texts, well, that's a different story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:

good video reviews are by definition MORE than just a text read aloud, and have an interaction between video and words that makes the product itself more than the sum of the parts.

Dr J ..... taking it above the rim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake E. Stief
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is actually already in consideration! They already have the microbadges made up mbmbmb but it has not yet been decided how they will be awarded (how many videos you need posted before the sytem awards you with one). Hope I can help

You can find a bit more information on this sort of thing at http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Microbadge#toc5

Wow. I had not noticed this was from 2011 Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad to see something is moving!! The video reviewing community of BGG rejoices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone likes video reviews, mostly due to the issue of quality. If I open up a written review, you can skim it in seconds and see whether it is worth my while to read or not. With a video review, I won't know until I have watched it all.

While some are good, most of the ones I have seen are not. Thus, anything that might reward the creation of poor reviews isn't something I would support. But I am but one voice, and the crowd shall be heard...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.