Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Maki
Germany
Erndtebr├╝ck
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

beforehand I have to say, that I have not been able to play Quarriors yet but have read different problems and solutions with the game. So I thought about some ideas to solve these problems and want to try them when my copy arrives tomorrow.
In the following I list some stated problems and my variant to address these problems and some thoughts about them afterwards.

Problems:

1. It is not worthy to build a Quiddity engine, because you can only buy one die.

2. The result of the dice is very random with too few options for control.

3. The person who gets an early lead extends its lead with the existing culling rule.

4. The battle leaves no really decisions to make and feel not really interactive.

Ideas:

1. Your first purchase is for the original cost, each additional die costs one more, e.g. second one costs +1, third one costs +2, ...

2. After you have rolled your active pool, you can reroll any number of your rolled dice, but have to put one active die to the used pile. This procedure can be repeated until there are no more dice left. Immediate effects can be still resolved before an additional reroll.

3. If you do not buy and not summon any dice you can cull one of your current active dice.

4. When summoning your creatures you put them in a wished order. The battle is resolved by paying attention to the following rules:

- The dice of the attacking dice always attack the first remaining dice of the defenders.

- Each attacking die can only destroy one die of each player. (Additional strength is wasted)

- The attacker can combine two or more dice in order to destroy one die. (e. g. the attacker has two dice with 4 and 3 strength and want to destroy a dice than he just combine both dice to get a strength of 7 and destroy the die, for another player he wants to keep the dice solo because that player has two dice with defense of 3 and 3.)

Thoughts:

I tried to keep the rules for this variant quite simple, but explaining them in english gets a bit more difficult. I hope the general ideas are understandable.
Now my thoughts to the different points.

1. I think this should make it more attractive to get more quiddity but remain some control of dice purchases. Also effects where you can buy additional dice still have some value since you save some quiddity.

2. This idea is from Roll through the ages. In my experience although it is just rolling dice you have a pretty good control which results you want to achieve. Just rolling three times felt a bit too overpowered, but with the given variant I wanted to give a way to solve the problem of some really poor results. Also reroll effects still have some value, since there you do not have to put one of your active dice to your used pile.

3. This idea is from thunderstone. I wanted to have a way to improve the dice bag and to have also a use for very poor throws (esspecially after some rerolls) to have at least some positive result.

4. I think these rules sound more complicated than they are. Essentially this gives some more decisions in determining the order. Since the order is used for attack and later for the own defense, it can lead to some interesting decisions. Further more you have more options with protecting your weaker creatures or to sacrifice low value creatures to a dragon for example. I hope that this rule makes more different strategies viable.

I will try these variants at the weekend and will report my experiences with it afterwards. Also if you have any suggestions or own experiences feel free to comment.

Have fun!
Saerleon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McCarthy
United States
Old Town
Maine
flag msg tools
Re: Set of variants
I've only played 2-player a few times, but I think you hit a point with the culling rule. Culling gives you an advantage of refining your deck, so I would say if you don't summon any creatures in a turn you can cull a die. Simple as that. I'll try it out sometime and let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Maki
Germany
Erndtebr├╝ck
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Set of variants
At the weekend I was able to play several 2 and 3- player games with and without the rule changes and have come to the following conclusions:

In general I have fun with rolling colorful nice dice but in the original form indeed some of the well known problems occured. There is sometimes a problem with the runaway leader. My brother was early able to buy a dragon and from there he just destroyed more often my dice and therefore also scored and culled more often leading to a clear victory. But more often it gets not that one sided and keeps more interesting over the course of the game.
Another thing that really can be just a bit too much luck is having really good creature dice in your hand and then not be able to summon them.
Also the process of capturing (buying) dice is quite limited, you roll and choose in general the most expensive die you can afford.
Don't get me wrong. Although it increases the amount of luck it also leads to a fun and quick pace of the game.

So after 3 games i was experimenting with some variations and had the following impressions:

-The Reroll variant really helps getting control over your dice and also lead to a lot of interesting decisions. Do I want to get more creatures out or do I want more quiddity rerolling those creatures. Also it was not overpowered since you always have to give up one die. In average you reroll about 1.5 times in a turn. So this rule I will always use from now on.

-The purchasing variant also really helps in providing more options and also more rewarding a more quiddity based strategy with portal effects and growth dice. It also didn't feel too powerful in general you decide with high quiddity counts if you want one expensive die or two cheaper ones. Also with some of the card effects like the questing wizard it seems to be in control because even then you were just able to buy 4 cheap dice at most.So also this rule variation I will keep from now on.

-The culling variant didn't get into effect because you almost always prefer to summon or buy a die than to be just culling and with the re-roll variant you almost always can get a reasonable result. So a change like mentioned of being allowed to cull when you do not summon any dice could work but was actually not necessary also because of re-rolling and a combat change so I will drop this rule variant.

-Very quickly it get obvious that the combat variant was just too complicated for the flow of the game so I just came up with a simplification with similar results: The attacker can only destroy dice per player up to the number of his attacking creatures.This lead to several nice effects: the powerful creatures like the dragon gets more balanced against a horde of weaker dice (i.e. if one player only summons one solo dragon and the other player only has like two goblins and an assistant he can just sacrifice his assistant) So also players with weaker creatures can get more frequently into scoring just by summoning 3 or more creatures in a turn which happens more frequently with the re-roll variant. This rule also lead to a bit shorter game length in 3-player games (and I assume even more for 4-player games) because scoring is more frequently.

Summary: In my opinion especially the re-roll variant really helps to get more control in the game. Combined with multiple purchases and a slightly combat change, weaker creatures are more valuable and therefore a wider variety of strategies is reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think it'd be wise to require an additional pool of dice to be depleted? You can buy more dice in a turn, thus it's easier to end the game that way?

In sum, your variant entails:

So:

1: Get rid of one die to re-roll any number of dice.

2: You can buy multiple dice, but each additional die cost a cumulative +1 quiddity.

3: An attacking die can only destroy one other die per player.

Thank you for your thoughts and testing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anh Khoa Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
I think the combat variant is nice and we can make it simple like this :

+ Arrange your summon creatures into order [front to back]
+ You must defend with the foremost creature, and so forth...

It actually could save a lot of time in attacking because people just removing dice without thinking about what creature to defend first, etc like before. And it gives off a nice RPG party-formation feeling to a game with monster combat, and a bit of decision for every players as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.