Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played for the first time tonight - enjoyed it very much. A clarification regarding how to score special ingredients, since I am certain I interpreted the rule incorrectly in both games we played.

From page 5 of the rules:
Quote:
"If you add any of them to one of your research sets, it acts as a "wild" card that can be used to match any of the cards in Theophrastus' Research Sets. (...) Special ingredients may also be added to any of Theophrastus' Research Sets. If there is a special ingredient in one of his sets, then every player may match any of his own Reagents to the Special Ingredient."

There are also examples of Special Ingredient scoring on page 12 and page 13. The sections are too long for me to retype out here, but in case you want to refer to them, that's where they are.

From the scoring example 2, it is apparent that if Theophrastus has a Special Ingredient in his formula, you can match any Reagent in that category to that Special Ingredient and score the value of the Reagent that you use to match. No problem.

In the example 1 for scoring, however, it's not entirely clear if you score the value of the Special Ingredient, or the Reagent you match it to. I have a theory, but a confirmation would be great.

In the example, Theophrastus has Air (3) and Earth (2) in his formula. The example player has Fire (4) and Ether (2) in his own formula.

The example says that Elements scores three: 1 point for fire being a non-matching element, and two points for ether, since it can match any element. Now, since one would presume that if one could score for the Ingredient being matched, one would score a total of 4, not 3, since one would match 3 for air and 1 for a non-matched element.

Therefore my interpretation is that when you have a special ingredient in your own formula you score the value of the Special Ingredient, not the value of the Reagent being matched.

Another example, created for the purpose of this discussion:

Theophrastus has Vitriol (6) Nitre (5) and Salt (2) in his formula.

Player X has Aqua Fortis (3), Sulphur (3) and Salt (2) in his own formula.

Player X scores 2 for matching salt, 3 for matching aqua fortis to either vitriol or nitre, and 1 point for a non-matching essential, a total of 6 points. I believe this is the correct method of scoring.

Now, if you score it as scoring equal to the Reagent being matched, you would score 2 for matching salt, 6 to match the aqua fortis to Vitriol and 1 for a non-matching essential, a total of 9 points. I believe that this is incorrectly scored.

As I said, I think I understand this rule correctly, but if I am wrong, I would appreciate a clarification.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Chase
United States
Lowell
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yep, the easy way that I explain this to new players is to say that you *always* score the point values that appear on *your* cards, not his, no matter what type of card it is. I wrote the flavor text on the cards to give a hint as to why--some students can get a hold of superior materials, thereby improving their results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.