Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to suggest the ability to add wildcard characters * into all searches to allow partial text matches.

Adding this to tags would make them infinitely more useful.

Also when displaying tags and other elements, including a sort order for chronological (ascending or descending), name, etc. would also be a nice feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
I'd like to suggest the ability to add wildcard characters * into all searches to allow partial text matches.

Also when displaying tags and other elements, including a sort order for chronological (ascending or descending), name, etc. would also be a nice feature.

Yep me too. I frequently find myself searching for things I know are here but can't find as I can't remember the exact spelling or the first word in the item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have been very useful in the Treasure Hunt Sam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
It would have been very useful in the Treasure Hunt Sam.

There is that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Jenkins
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given up on the internal search and now just use google. You can specify that you only want results from bgg like this:

Google query: site:boardgamegeek.com

you can then of course use all available boolean operators and search parameters, including wildcards:

examples:
site:boardgamegeek.com "George Allen" +Flaggo +"Dragon*"
site:boardgamegeek.com +score* +agricola +a4
site:boardgamegeek.com "9 OR 10 OR 11 players" -"~card" +bluffing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapppi wrote:
I've given up on the internal search and now just use google. You can specify that you only want results from bgg like this:

Google query: site:boardgamegeek.com

you can then of course use all available boolean operators and search parameters, including wildcards:

examples:
site:boardgamegeek.com "George Allen" +Flaggo +"Dragon*"
site:boardgamegeek.com +score* +agricola +a4
site:boardgamegeek.com "9 OR 10 OR 11 players" -"~card" +bluffing

I know. But the average user that comes to visit this site (or registered members as well) does not want to leave this site just to search some item or article ON this site. Would it be so difficult to implement such features into the engine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well of course:

site:boardgamegeek.com/boardgame "George Allen" +Flaggo +"Dragon*"

only searches the games which are listed.

site:http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner "This person is a user"

Would find BgGsters who are also designers/artists.

Google is very useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:

I know that this is a half a loaf. I added all the tags in the current cloud into a wiki document. If term was already in wiki then I used the definition that was there. I also added a table on top for lesser used terms. So the suggestion is to use 2-Player instead of 2P to mean a 2-Player game since that seems to be the common tag.

See: Common Tags
Feel free to add more definitions. Please add definitions for tags that you use, not what that you think they mean.

I setup forum thread:
Tags & Tag Meanings in Glossary
to argue about discuss tag definitions. Pointer to forum is also on wiki.

The wiki only list tags which have been used hundreds of times. But it is a start, and if you find it useful, I'll try to get some sort of database pull for other lesser used tags say down any tag used by at least 10 different users. In the meantime feel free to add more tags and tag definitions to the wiki page.

The attempt is to standardize tags without being dogmatic. You can still use ant tags that you want and define them anyway that you want. The wiki page does tell you how to do a global search and replace. So you can quite painlessly replace 2P tags with 2-person tags.

Regards,
Herb

-------
Edit

While in the wiki document you can use Control-F to open a search field in your browser on the text that is being displayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.