Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are people playing this "game"? I am not trolling, I seriously want to understand. Placing blocks around does't look like much gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an exploration and creative sandbox game. It isn't for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

What do you explore though? It seems like the developer is hoodwinking people, someone showed me what the "game" was after I had heard SOO much about it...and it's just...nothing. It's like Garry's Mod: Low Tech version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
You explore a uniquely generated world and the caverns below it. There are dangers, but no real goal (currently). If you aren't comfortable with making your own goals then the game isn't for you.

I don't see how it's a hoodwink - everyone I know who has purchased it knew exactly what they were getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
You explore a uniquely generated world and the caverns below it. There are dangers, but no real goal (currently). If you aren't comfortable with making your own goals then the game isn't for you.

I don't see how it's a hoodwink - everyone I know who has purchased it knew exactly what they were getting.

I don't know, seems like a development kit more than a game, and one for the N64 or PS1. I just can't see what's there to compell you to play..what engages or captivates you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like life. There's is no point, no goal, no rules. If you need something to give you a purpose in the game, try to build an obsidian tower up to the clouds. That will have you playing with many of the game's systems for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games when broken down to their base elements and then putting the word "just" before them makes them sound pretty bad. Most of World of Warcraft is just about collecting items that appear at random or pre-programed intervals.

Minecraft isn't "just" about anything. It's not really a game, but for some people it's a neat sand-box to play in, messing with things and aimlessly wandering about. For others it is an erector set like game where the fun is in the building- seeing what you can create for your own gratification or to share with others.

My son really likes it because of the survival element - digging around, looking for dungeons, clearing them out, and taking the monsters stuff. The added benefit of getting to build your own fortifications is another hook. Plus he really likes playing Spleef, a simple PVP game that you can build in Minecraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Here goes...

When you start the game you are like someone crashed/shipwrecked on an alien world. You have all of nothing other than your fists to start with and from there you can do any of the following.

Explore the world: The terrain generator can make some amazing vistas. Also theres oft strange formations underground.

Seek Shelter and Survive: Night falls and creatures come out of the woodwork to try and get you. Build a house or dig in and try not to become a crater. Eventially you may start hunting the monsters even.

Mine: Mining is exactly that, dig down, find resources. Usually with intent to make better gear. This can be tedious, but rarely boring as sooner or later you'll hit water, lava, monsters, or a dungeon.

Farm: Right now is a little weak, plant crops and trees, harvest crops and trees. More should be on the way to liven this aspect up.

BUILD!: This is what most people are in the game for. To build things. Take a look at my "Pandora Project" thread here for just one application. With a little imagination and alot of effort people have built some remarkable structures. Some equate it to a sort of Lego block world for the building aspect.

There are also serveral mods out there that accomplish some amazing things with MC. A Zelda adventure world, pilotable vehicles, Airships, Beekeeping, and lots of new creatures and other innovations.

Also keep in mind that the game is a work in progress with new things being added. Thats slowed down some, but it is still rolling along and in a month or three there is expected to be a large update with many new changes.

Think of it as like some of those "kickstarter" prokects. Its more or less how the game was presented. Opt in for a small fee at the start and get all the updates as they happen. When I started playing there wasnt even a tenth of the features there are now.

Anjohl wrote:
Octavian wrote:

What do you explore though? It seems like the developer is hoodwinking people, someone showed me what the "game" was after I had heard SOO much about it...and it's just...nothing. It's like Garry's Mod: Low Tech version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Anjohl wrote:
I don't know, seems like a development kit more than a game, and one for the N64 or PS1. I just can't see what's there to compell you to play..what engages or captivates you?

Some people are motivated by building. They make giant castles, link them with underground railroads, and take pictures to share with friends.

Some people are motivated by monster-hunting. They mine down to the depths in order to craft the best weapons and armor, then challenge themselves by taking on the hardest monsters.

Some people are motivated by engineering. About a year ago "redstone" was added to the game, which allows players to make simple logical circuits--which then combine to form incredibly complex contraptions. New uses are always being discovered: just in the last month someone found a way to automatically detect the passage of night and day and use it to trigger redstone circuitry.

Some people are motivated by finding beauty in the world. The random terrain generator can make some really attractive and varied scenery--you just have to seek it out. A mapping feature was added to the game recently that allows you to track your exploration.

Some people are motivated by playing with friends. They don't care what they're building as long as it's a group project. People love coming together to create things. And there are unique multiplayer games that are played on servers, like spleef, a kind of "last man standing" arena sport.

And that's just what the game has now! Earlier today the creator of the game demonstrated some new features that will be coming in the next update. The world will be populated by NPCs who build their own houses. Players will gain experience points and be able to develop skills in-game. More types of blocks will be added, allowing players to further customize their building projects.

The short version:
There's not an explicit goal or ending point to the game. You can't "win" Minecraft any more than you "win" a set of LEGO. But you can have fun with it all the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about this to after seeing the video's on you tube. Thanks for clearing this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Auclair
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I continually return to Minecraft as it's relaxing (even with Creepers). If I've had a long, annoying day at work it's nice to just go dig out a tunnel or build a rooftop garden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time this was shown to me I knew I would love it. I don't really understand why other people don't have the same reaction, but I've come to accept it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
The first time this was shown to me I knew I would love it. I don't really understand why other people don't have the same reaction, but I've come to accept it.

I was thinking about it last night, and I realized that ot everyone likes the same kinds of games, or would even define game the same way as I would. A lot of people like games like Animal Crossing or Dead or Alive Extreme 2, just for the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not REALLY that different from games with goals. Compare it to my favorite FPS of all time: Half-Life 2. HL2 is linear, but incredibly immersive. It's completely goal-driven. At some point during the game, you have to work your way to a specific location just to throw a switch, fighting enemies along to way, and picking up items, ammo and weapons. In Minecraft, I may decide to explore a cool mountain in the distance. I may have to fight monsters that are in my way. I may need food, ammo, weapons, shelter, etc.

So in the one case, the game is telling you to do X. You must do X in order to continue the game. You might choose slightly different approaches, but you know X is possible and necessary.

In the other case, you might decide to change your plans because X is too difficult right now. You might spend a week digging under rather than going over. You might run all day, and camp all night. This mode of thinking is not unlike playing Fallout 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you familiar with the Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology? It's just a theory, but I think Minecraft has a lot to offer each of these theoretical personalities: Achievers, Explorers, Socializers, and Killers.

You are obviously hinting that your failure to understand the appeal may be related to your own views, so perhaps the Bartle theory can show you in a structured way how different people might approach the same games in different ways and with different values and so find stimulation in them differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Auclair
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Are you familiar with the Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology? It's just a theory, but I think Minecraft has a lot to offer each of these theoretical personalities: Achievers, Explorers, Socializers, and Killers.

You are obviously hinting that your failure to understand the appeal may be related to your own views, so perhaps the Bartle theory can show you in a structured way how different people might approach the same games in different ways and with different values and so find stimulation in them differently.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:

Sure. A friend of mine RAVED about DOA: Xtreme 2, said it was great, and that it got a bad rap. I turned it on, and within 10 minutes knew it had nothing to offer me. If anything, DOAX2 didn't even qualify as a GAME to me, as there was no challenge, no goal, no engagement, nothing to compell the user. This is the same category as MC for me..it just looks like a less open Garry's Mod with worse graphics. To each his own I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
ekted wrote:
It's not REALLY that different from games with goals. Compare it to my favorite FPS of all time: Half-Life 2. HL2 is linear, but incredibly immersive. It's completely goal-driven. At some point during the game, you have to work your way to a specific location just to throw a switch, fighting enemies along to way, and picking up items, ammo and weapons. In Minecraft, I may decide to explore a cool mountain in the distance. I may have to fight monsters that are in my way. I may need food, ammo, weapons, shelter, etc.

So in the one case, the game is telling you to do X. You must do X in order to continue the game. You might choose slightly different approaches, but you know X is possible and necessary.

In the other case, you might decide to change your plans because X is too difficult right now. You might spend a week digging under rather than going over. You might run all day, and camp all night. This mode of thinking is not unlike playing Fallout 3.

A big difference is that a more linear game like HL2 is telling you explicitly what to do next. Even Fallout 3 has a big glowing quest arrow to make sure you head in the right direction eventually. In Minecraft, though, everything is self-directed. Recipes for crafting need to be sought out from third-party websites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Working together with friends to build something neat, fun, or interesting.

2) Exploring the world - I find some of the randomly generated terrain really beautiful, and the expanse of caverns can be really interesting to explore.

3) It is genuinely frightening at parts. I have quite literally jumped out of my chair while playing once.

I expected to like it less than I did, but it is a rather enjoyable experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the game is so non-directed that you can create some pretty compelling self-imposed goals.

Mine is to play a game of minecraft on one life, no respawning. If I die, I have to start all over. It's unbelievable how the tension of avoiding a high fall, mining carefully around lava, or facing a creeper horde out for your blood is heightened when you can't afford to die.

I find it compelling and fun, perhaps the greatest computer game experience I have ever had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you could impose similar restrictions on ANY game. I would offer that fallout 3 or sid meiers pirates played this way would be much more compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Maybe, but you can't build your own town in Fallout 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:
But you could impose similar restrictions on ANY game. I would offer that fallout 3 or sid meiers pirates played this way would be much more compelling.
But those games have a high amount of restrictions that limit what you can do. Games like Dwarf Fortress, Terraria and Minecraft have a quite small ruleset but a huge amount of freedom. So it is easier and more rewarding to do such stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Anjohl wrote:
But those games have a high amount of restrictions that limit what you can do. Games like Dwarf Fortress, Terraria and Minecraft have a quite small ruleset but a huge amount of freedom. So it is easier and more rewarding to do such stuff.

Fallout 3 has very little restriction on the player. I get what you are saying, I did the same thing in Diablo 1, imposing more realistic rules to enhance the game. To each his own, for sure, I just sincerely am having trouble seeing what the hype is all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games like Fallout 3 limit your creativity, as you can't build stuff. I jsut played a game of Dwarf Fortress where I tried to build a surface village instead of a mountain home. It was real fun and challenging.

If that is nothing that might entertain you then you are simply not part of the target audience and will most likely never understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.