Storm over Arnhem» Forums » Rules

Subject: Victory Points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Palmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this just now and I'm assuming that once the Germans take a VP area and hold it in the VP phase they score those points however do they continue to score in the following turns VP phase also if they are still in control of those VP areas?

Perimiter bonuses: I assume that from turn 4 onwards the bonus does not apply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a while since I played SoA, but I recall that you must count all your VPs after each turn and place the VP marker on that exact number.
So if you had 6 VPs after turn 3 and 8 VPs after turn 4, move the VP marker from 6 to 8, not from 6 to (6+8) 14.

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy O'Doors
United States
Bealeton
Virginia
flag msg tools
Bomb Voyage exclaims: Monsieur Incroyable!
mbmbmbmbmb
nescaff wrote:
Playing this just now and I'm assuming that once the Germans take a VP area and hold it in the VP phase they score those points however do they continue to score in the following turns VP phase also if they are still in control of those VP areas?

Perimiter bonuses: I assume that from turn 4 onwards the bonus does not apply?

-- Yes, VP areas score every turn in which the Germans are the SOLE occupants of the VP area during the VP phase.

-- Correct, take up all of the perimeter flags at the end of T3. No VPs are awarded for them after that, they are irrelevant.

Slotracer wrote:
Been a while since I played SoA, but I recall that you must count all your VPs after each turn and place the VP marker on that exact number.
So if you had 6 VPs after turn 3 and 8 VPs after turn 4, move the VP marker from 6 to 8, not from 6 to (6+8) 14.

-- This one is not true... if you earn 2 VPs on T1, 2 VPs on T2, and 2 VPs on T3, then the VP marker would be at 6. If you then earn 8 VPs on T4, then the VP marker would be at 14.

Awesome game! Glad that you're plaing it! It is a gem that is often overlooked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ups, no wonder why the Germans had so had a time to win. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Palmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great game. I had it many years ago and swopped it with a friend who had a Nato-WP game but can't remember the name. I regretted it since. He eventually sold it at a bring and buy stall at our Claymore convention in Edinburgh. I recently saw the game on line and bid for it and now own it again. I also recently bid and won Turning Point-Stalingrad. Never tried area games before as always been a hex man but I suppose it has the same outcome also you can use great graphic depictions of the terrain without having to distort to follow hexsides. Anyway thanks to all for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like SoA more than Monte Cassino and Stalingrad because of the glossy board and chits. The game pieces are just brighter and easier to see. Not that I was that old when I owned all three games, but I sold the two games and kept SoA. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
paddyodoors wrote:

-- Yes, VP areas score every turn in which the Germans are the SOLE occupants of the VP area during the VP phase.

This is not quite correct. If the Germans are the SOLE occupants of the VP area during a VP phase, control goes to them and they score the VPs. They will CONTINUE to score VPs as long as they control it. The will only lose control if the British become SOLE occupants in a VP phase. So, once the Germans control the area they will score VPs even if British move units into the area while Germans units are present.

P

11.2 At the beginning of the game a Control marker, with the
British side face-up, is placed in each of the Victory Point areas
noted on the mapsheet. The Control marker is turned German
side face-up if, at the beginning of any Victory Point Determination
Phase, one or more German units are the sale occupants
of the VP area. If, at the beginning of a subsequent Victory
Point Determination Phase, the British player becomes the sale
occupant of the area once again, the Control marker is flipped to
show the British side face-up once more. Simply being the last
side to have occupied a VP area is not sufficient to change the
Control marker during a game turn. It is only flipped over when
the opposing player is the sale occupant of the area during the
Victory Point Determination Phase. British AT and Bren Carrier
units are never considered for purposes of determining control
of a Victory Point area. If neither or both sides have units in the
VP area during the Victory Point Determination Phase, the Control
counter remains unchanged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
How do negative Victory points on the VP track come into play?

If only Germans can score, in what situations would they start losing VP'S?.

Just started playing this game and enjoying it greatly, although it takes time to develop the right tempo of operations for each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
Auda will come to Aqaba because it is his pleasure...
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
How do negative Victory points on the VP track come into play?

If only Germans can score, in what situations would they start losing VP'S?.

It is used for the initial bid (rule 21, page 10) and also for the variant included in The General magazine article "The Crossing", rule 3.7: the game starts at -2 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.