Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My first game: BASKETmind, a 5-on-5 basketball match
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi wargamers!

I worked on a presentation about the book "The Making of the Atomic Bomb", by Richard Rhodes, which tells the whole story from the discovery of radioactivity till the use of the bomb. A great book, highly recommended, even for non-scientists.

I used it in my Nuclear Physics lectures, but now I'm working on a shorter and simpler version for the general public. For the part concerning the making itself, 1939-45, I wanted to use WWII maps on one side of the slide, for each year for example, and on the other side list the evolution of the research during that period.

Does anyone know where could I find such maps? It should be a simple, clear image, with just the front evolution, or even with arrows for the offensives, if possible with the same format from 1939 to 1945. One for the European theatre and another for the Pacific one.

Any help will be very welcome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be able to find what you need here...

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/Atlases/Our_Atlases.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
Hi wargamers!

I worked on a presentation about the book "The Making of the Atomic Bomb", by Richard Rhodes, which tells the whole story from the discovery of radioactivity till the use of the bomb. A great book, highly recommended, even for non-scientists.

I used it in my Nuclear Physics lectures, but now I'm working on a shorter and simpler version for the general public. For the part concerning the making itself, 1939-45, I wanted to use WWII maps on one side of the slide, for each year for example, and on the other side list the evolution of the research during that period.

Does anyone know where could I find such maps? It should be a simple, clear image, with just the front evolution, or even with arrows for the offensives, if possible with the same format from 1939 to 1945. One for the European theatre and another for the Pacific one.

Any help will be very welcome!!!

Wikimedia Commons also has a bunch of maps uploaded; the Eastern Front article on Wikipedia has some very clear maps that show the progression of the front there for example.

Wikimedia Commons is a repository for free images for use on Wikipedia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen r

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:

Wikimedia Commons also has a bunch of maps uploaded...Wikimedia Commons is a repository for free images for use on Wikipedia.

Agreed. Here is a good animation (.gif) that doesn't clutter the images up with too many words or arrows if you want to keep it simple:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Second_wo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help with finding the materials you need but I've read 'Making of the Atomic Bomb' three times - cover to cover. And there are several stories I have bookmarked that I've read many times over.

Fabulous book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My first game: BASKETmind, a 5-on-5 basketball match
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to thank you again and tell what I found:

These were from screen captures, they contain all the operations of the war and the Axis maximum advance, so I finally changed the format of the talk I had imagined and organized it around these pictures. The result was better than I had expected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.