Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leonid Libman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the unit, which is outside of its leader's command range, charge?

In the rules it says that the unit cannot "move adjacent to an enemy unit"

I believe charge is not part of the movement phase, therefore the unit can start few hexes away from the enemy unit and charge. Even though it will end up adjacent to that or other enemy unit after charge. Am I correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
That is what the rules say, but it is not the intent of the Out of Command rule.

No, a unit that is Out of Command may not Charge. Note that this only applies to Heavy Cavalry, as Knights are never Out of Command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
No worries Jason, you are correct that when you combine the two rules the answer is yes. There is no way for you to know that allowing Charge by Out of Command units was not the designers intent.

This question did not come up in playtesting Infidel, nor did I see it when updating the rules set for Infidel. The same wording is in the original Men of Iron rules, so it hasn't come up in the 6 years since it was published or the playtesting before that.

The intent of the Out of Command rule is that Out of Command units can not get adjacent to enemy units and attack them, no matter how they get there. They can attack units they start adjacent to. This wording just needs to add a blurb about Charge. Note that this does not include Counter-Charge, as Out of Command restrictions only apply during a unit's Activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonid Libman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys. I feel like I found a loophole in a system. :) I will follow Ralph's judgement. He sounds like an authority on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
atilla66 wrote:

This makes sense if the phrase "move adjacent to an enemy unit" given in 5.3 is interpreted in the broader sense of placing a unit adjacent to an enemy unit, but what about a heavy cavalry unit that begins activation in command?
Suppose a heavy cavalry unit begins activation in command, but is out of command after moving into position to charge. Can it still charge?

From 5.2 "Command status is determined at the start of Activation and stays with the unit throughout that Activation." So the Heavy Cav would be in great shape!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
atilla66 wrote:
maygli wrote:
Thank you guys. I feel like I found a loophole in a system. :) I will follow Ralph's judgement. He sounds like an authority on the matter.

Yes, the Ralph is the authority on Infidel and Men of Iron. I probably should have waited for him to respond to your question, but at least I gained a better insight into the rules by replying.

Jason you are too kind. I am merely the Pope of Wargaming's representative (kind of like a Cardinal). He is the ultimate authority.

And I have no problem with you answering questions, particularly when you cite rules references that support your thinking. Most of the time that should work if the rules are written properly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.